Threads about China By China

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Re: Part of the plot to contain China .

The informations in my posts are based on my own personal observations while living in China .
Reading your posts one can not help but hail you as a ....................``.Prophet ``.
Just because you live somewhere does not make you informed about the country now does it. You make that painfully clear in your posts.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006

EAO - Once again you show how off the mark you are - You should research before you state so dumbly that he never saved any lives.

And what did the last winner do that was so great.

Also check 1935 or 36 to see who won the Nobel peace prize.

What a one sided opinion - How many died in Tianmen Square - How many are arrested for religious beliefs - Contain China - well I am all for it as they are the biggest threat the world has yet to see. Check on how they dictate their claims on the Yellow Sea.

But I suppose the Peace Prize for Obama was justified, as was the one awarded Yassar Arafat.

Your defense of China belies your claim to be concerned with human rights.

The Communist regime in China has been responsible for more death than Adolph Hitler and Joseph Stalin COMBINED. At least 50 million people have been starved to death or murdered outright since 1949.

The Communist regime officially continues to execute more people than the rest of the world combined.

In addition, China engages in unofficial execution, killing thousands for religious belief.

Militarily, China occupies Tibet, and violently repressed Tibetan protests..........China has murdered hundreds of thousands of Tibetans.

China regularly threatens the democratic free state of Taiwan.

China is becoming increasingly aggressive over territorial claims in the South China Sea.

China seems to love African murder states on the planet.....Zimbabwe, and the Sudan depend on China for support and military supplies.

China is the sole backer of that little outpost of insanity, North Korea...........

China is pushing hard in border disputes with India, bringing them once again close to a state of war.

China is the worst state on the face of the planet. By far.

The award of the Peace Prize is ALWAYS political......and the current choice is the best made since one was awarded to Suu Kyi of Burma.

Ohh, right. Give me a break. keep eating up that propaganda, Earth.

Any citizen that is willing to put their liberty at stake by taking the Chinese government to task is worthy of this award in my opinion.

Didn't they award one to your hero Yassar a few years back?

I would happily send Chinese crap back to China en masse. China isn't the only country in the world capable of producing toxin laden trinkets.

What a load of rubbish.

Off topic to DD: Please reference a post by me which expresses support for Arafat. Your post is a prime example of a straw man argument. (A deliberate misrepresentation of an opponent's position, in order to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.) I support Palestinian freedom and justice. I don't support their oppressors. Arafat was a cruel and ruthless man who abused his position to acquire wealth and power. Near the end, just before he died of a mysterious illness, he appears to have become more concerned about his legacy, rather than continuing to accept US and Israeli bribes and that may have been a contributing factor to his death.

Colpy, Let me clarify. I have never defended China's human rights record. I think its atrocious. I also think China's focus is mostly inward. Even their outward focus, has to do with solving internal problems. As far as militarism is concern, China is a waking dragon. From what I've observed, China has no interest in war. They will use military force to defend themselves of what they perceive as belonging to China. Their military is mostly defensive. China's real threat is economic and we're seeing that play out now. RE: the price of gold and the $US. BTW, the Chinese leaders who killed more people than Hitler... They are dead like Hitler. Or are you accusing China's current leaders of committing these crimes from the 50's? I think you should read what I wrote to DD about straw man arguments in the paragraph above. Regarding the ongoing religious persecution, I think the Chinese authorities over reacted to tens of thousands of Falun Gong members showed up outside Communist party header quarters and demanded the violent overthrow of the government. The Canadian government's reaction to a similar kind of protest during the last G8 was much better than China's, but our government is hardly a good role model for the Chinese government when it comes to abuse of power and over reaction to peaceful protest.

Goober, Please reread my post and if you want to refute it then how about giving an example where Liu Xiaobo ended or prevented a conflict. Please give me an estimate of how many lives you think Xiaobo saved and why. Other than being a thorn in the side of the Chinese authorities what has Xiaobo accomplished so far in his life that warrants a peace prize. Unless he actually accomplished something, then I think he is about as deserving as Barack Obama...(another person I believe did not earn the Nobel Peace Prize). Please give an example of how Xiaobo improved the lives of millions of Chinese?

I recognize that China has serious human rights problems. Xiaobo has many values I respect and admire. He is brave and I hope he is successful in improving China's human rights situation. But no I don't think he earned a Nobel peace prize.

IMO, the peace prize should have gone to someone who accomplished something more significant than being an outspoken critic of an authoritarian government. Surely someone did more in the cause of world peace during the last year than this. The last two Nobel Peace Prizes recipients had little to nothing to do with peace and were driven by someone's political agenda.

Some of you may have noticed that I hardly visit this website anymore. One reason is that the quality of debate has really spiraled downward.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Some of you may have noticed that I hardly visit this website anymore. One reason is that the quality of debate has really spiraled downward.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Beijing rejects US offer to host Diaoyu talks

Beijing rejects US offer to host Diaoyu talks

By Cheng Guangjin (China Daily)
Updated: 2010-11-03 06:56

Comments(3)
Territorial dispute is the business of China, Japan, Foreign Ministry says
BEIJING - Beijing on Tuesday rejected Washington's offer to host trilateral talks with China and Japan over the Diaoyu Islands.
China reiterated its sovereignty over the islands and made clear it is a bilateral issue between Beijing and Tokyo.

Related readings:
China: Trilateral talks merely US wishful thinking
Diaoyu are sovereign: Beijing
China concerned over Clinton's remarks on Diaoyu Islands
Expansion of fleet to safeguard sea rights

College students protest Japan over Diaoyu Islands

"The territorial dispute between China and Japan over the Diaoyu Islands is the business of the two nations only," said Foreign Ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu in a statement published on the ministry's website. "It is absolutely wrong for the United States to repeatedly claim the Diaoyu Islands fall within the scope of the US-Japan Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security," Ma said, reiterating that the Diaoyu Islands and adjacent islets are an inalienable part of China's territory.
"What the US should do is immediately correct its wrong position," said Ma.
Ma made the remarks when asked about Washington's offer to host trilateral talks with Beijing and Tokyo made during US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's discussion with Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi last week in Hanoi.
"I'd like to stress that this is only a US idea," said Ma.
Relations between Beijing and Tokyo have been under intense strain since collisions between two Japan Coast Guard patrol boats and a Chinese trawler on Sept 7 in waters off the Diaoyu Islands in the East China Sea.
Beijing suspended all high-level contacts with Tokyo after Japan illegally detained the Chinese trawler captain.
"The offer that I made, that the US would be willing to host a trilateral with both Japan and China if that would facilitate dialogue, stands and it is not only about one issue," Clinton told reporters at a joint news conference with the Malaysian foreign minister during a visit to the country on Tuesday, according to Reuters.
Japan's Kyodo News Agency reported on Monday that the ruling Democratic Party of Japan (DPJ) planned to send a delegation of no more than 10 members to China in mid-December, headed by the party's secretary general and former foreign minister, Katsuya Okada.
Okada told a news conference that the visit would be "basically a part of exchanges between the DPJ and the Communist Party of China". Last year, former DPJ secretary general Ichiro Ozawa led a 140-strong delegation to China.
Kyodo said Okada intends to make use of his experience as a former foreign minister to help Prime Minister Naoto Kan improve Sino-Japanese relations.
Analysts called for direct and effective talks between Beijing and Tokyo, but said they should be strictly limited within the bilateral scope.
"The meeting between ruling parties of the two nations" will engender high hopes especially when ties are strained, said Yang Bojiang, a professor at China's University of International Relations.
But it is hard to predict whether Okada will bring a well-coordinated message from the Japanese government, Yang said.
Shi Yinhong, a senior scholar on US studies at the Renmin University of China, said the offer by the US is against the principles of China's foreign policy and common international practice in solving territorial disputes. In such disputes, talks are usually between the two countries directly concerned, he said.
"Not to mention the US actually takes Japan's side in the name of 'mediating' between Beijing and Tokyo," Shi said.
Kan is due to host the annual Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation meeting on Nov 13-14, which President Hu Jintao is expected to attend.
Beijing called off a formal meeting between Premier Wen Jiabao and Kan on the sidelines of an Asian summit in Hanoi on Oct 29, as the Foreign Ministry accused Japan of damaging the atmosphere for the meeting by spreading misleading information on a meeting between the two foreign ministers earlier that day.
Wang Chenyan and Zhou Wa contributed to this story.

C

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Private sector leads donations

By Chen Jia (China Daily)
Updated: 2010-11-03 07:25

A woman with a cataract receives a checkup in Nanjing, East China's Jiangsu province on Sept 9. The Nanjing Charity Federation is cooperating with a local ophthalmology hospital to offer free surgeries to poor senior patients. [Wang Chengbing / For China Daily]
BEIJING - The country's top think tank said private-run enterprises were the major driving force for China's charity donations in 2009.
Private-run enterprises donated around 5.43 billion yuan ($812 million) in 2009, which accounted for about 41.35 percent of total donations from enterprises in 2009, according to an annual report on China's philanthropy development released by the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences on Tuesday.

A total of 282 private-run enterprises donated more than 1 million yuan each, which amounted to 62.9 percent of enterprises involved in charity last year, said the report.
"More private entrepreneurs want to exercise their social responsibility after accumulating huge wealth," Li Zhiyan, director of the non-profit Social Resources Institute, said in the report.
The report also said the real estate industry had been "generous" and "active" in charity donations in China last year.
Chinese organizations received donations totaling 33.2 billion yuan in 2009, a 3.5 percent increase on the amount in 2008, according to the report.
However, charity donation had not become a habit for citizens in China, Fan Baojun, president of the China Charity Federation, said on Tuesday in Beijing.
For example, charity donations from individuals in 2008 for the first time exceeded those from businesses, as ordinary people played an active role in relief work for the May 12 Sichuan earthquake. But the commitment to charity decreased when people gradually recovered from the pain in 2009, he said.
"Charity should become a habit for common people in their daily life rather than for business people or the rich," he said.
He also said transparency in the charity sector should be realized through social supervision.
"Many people who donate money to government admit they have no idea how or where the money is being spent," he said.
"But some charity programs under non-governmental organizations (NGOs) provide more transparent feedback, and they should play a more important role in providing relevant services," he said.

Related readings:
Philanthropy in China: Time for answers
China rich make 'generous' gifts at charity dinner
A charity event for not-so-rich attracts 90 fans of philanthropy
Banquet is 'a test of Chinese rich'

"The human resources in civil affairs departments are limited, so governments should buy services from NGOs," he said. Under the current rules, NGOs have to be affiliated with a government department before they can register with the Ministry of Civil Affairs.
"Some local governments have introduced rules to oversee charity donations and increase supervision," Zheng Yuanchang, a senior official of the Ministry of Civil Affairs, said on Tuesday.

Overseas gifts are important
By Cheng Yingqi and Chen Jia​
BEIJING - Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan residents, as well as overseas Chinese, contributed 81.2 percent of donations that came from outside the Chinese mainland, academic reports said on Tuesday.​

China received 4.51 billion yuan ($674.9 million) worth of donations from countries and regions outside the mainland last year, accounting for 14.1 percent of the total collected from home and abroad.​
Of this, 3.66 billion yuan came from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan as well as from Chinese people overseas.​
The result was released by the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences in its annual report on China's philanthropy development.​
However, experts said the number might be overvalued.​
"Since China does not have a centralized institution for charitable statistics, plus some foreign funds come to the country via various channels besides charity, it is hard to determine the exact figure," said Huang Haoming, vice-chairman of the China Association for NGO Cooperation.​
Compared to domestic donations, more overseas donations go to improve education and healthcare.​
Guangdong province received more donations than other regions of the country, because many overseas Chinese come from the province. It was followed by Beijing and Sichuan province.​
Cheng Yingqi and Chen Jia​

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
A traitor.

Todd Balazovic is a reporter for the Metro Section of China Daily. Born in Mineapolis Minnesota in the US, he graduated from Central Michigan University and has worked for the China daily for one year.

A real commie traitor ; wright Colpy. lol

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Strong ties with China 'key' to Atlanta's success 08:29, November 02, 2010 Emai

Kasim Reed, mayor of Atlanta, knows his city cannot become a truly international metropolis without a strong relationship with China.

Reed, who regards himself as a "citizen of the world", has been cultivating his personal engagement with China for years by participating in local Chinese-American activities and promoting Chinese businesses.

"I have watched and admired China's growth and development, and I don't think you can be a truly international city without having a strong relationship with China," he told China Daily in his office last week.

Reed, who will be making his first trip in the first quarter of next year, said he is amazed by China's high-speed rail development and Beijing's successful hosting of the Olympics in 2008.

China is "a country that works well" and Reed said he can learn a great deal from his counterparts. Reed has included China into his vision of the city.

"I believe we are going to be the logistics center for the Western hemisphere," he said. "At the end of the day, the city of Atlanta is going to move from being an aspirational world-class city to being a city that by every important measure is world class."

"Which is why the relationship with China is so important as we move toward increasing globalization and interconnectedness," he said.

Atlanta, dubbed the "Heart of the South" or the "Capital of the South", is well known in China because of the 1996 Olympics.

But its reputation as an important transportation and business hub in the US is less familiar. It ranks fourth in Fortune 500 companies headquartered within city boundaries, behind New York City, Houston and Dallas. Many multinational companies, such as The Coca-Cola Company, Home Depot and UPS, are based in the city. Reed believes Atlanta's strong fundamentals can be very attractive to Chinese investors.

In addition to the "irreplaceable" transportation networks in air, railroads and highways, as well as pleasant weather and relatively low business operation costs, the city is as a popular destination for the well-educated young.

"We are the No 1 city in the US attracting college students aged between 24 and 35," Reed said.

Many Chinese businesses have recognized Atlanta's advantages. Sany, the largest heavy equipment manufacturer in China; Hisense, a major electronics manufacturer; and Huawei, the country's largest telecommunications equipment supplier have built their US bases in the city.

Last December, the Hubei provincial government hired Chinamex, which helps Chinese firms expand overseas, to operate a China Hubei Enterprises Marketing Center in Atlanta.

Chinamex, which has similar offices in Amsterdam and Dubai, will bring more than 100 Chinese companies through its first US office. To enhance the China relationship, Reed has mapped out a strategy which starts with a "complete personal engagement".

In addition to meeting diplomats and business executives, his administration is learning from UPS, a company with a very strong presence in China, about developing stronger ties and identifying strong partners as well as relating culture and tradition to business practices.

Chinese-American organizations, such as the National Association of Chinese Americans (NACA), have also played significant roles in promoting understanding and relationships between the two countries, Reed said.

The 2010 US-China Business Conference, hosted by NACA, started on Monday in Atlanta. It brought together industry leaders from the US and China to share their practices and strategies on pursuing markets in China.

But Reed also knows Atlanta will face fierce competition from other cities and countries in accessing China.

"There is a long line. The question is: How can you break through and how can you stand out? " he said.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Re: Strong ties with China 'key' to Atlanta's success 08:29, November 02, 2010

The spam champion strikes again.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
This will be the thread containing various threads about China created by our member china.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
he only good thing to come out of all this is a series of events that will play out in the
next decade. The beginning of the end is coming for the WTO. The world will in fact
retrench as the fiscal situation deteriorates. America will ultimately default on it debt.
We are in my opinion headed for a worsening situation financially and if there is to be
another great war, it will be fought over the same as all the others, Trade.
America will be forced to stop exporting jobs, and that is coming faster than most even
realize. Tonight the people of America made a huge mistake. One that will cost them
in the long term not immediately. Protectionism comes with inflation, unemployment
and rising debt. The reason the slowing of a staggering economy. People need something
or someone to blame. Tonight they blame Obama, in two years time it will be the
Republicans turn, as there is no way out for America except to default on their debt.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Bentley in China .

Bentley in China .

A model poses next to a Bentley Motors Limited vehicle at the 2009 Shanghai auto show. The company expects its annual sales in China this year to be at least double the figure in 2009 and probably hit 1,000.[Photo/ Bloomberg]

TIANJIN - British luxury carmaker Bentley Motors Limited expects to double its sales in the Chinese market this year, thanks to the rising appetite for luxury automobiles. "Our annual sales in China this year will be at least double the figure in 2009 and probably hit 1,000, as we see strong growth momentum here," Zheng Biao, director and general manager of Bentley's Chinese division, told China Daily.
Bentley sold 421 cars in China last year, making the country its third-largest market, following the United States and the United Kingdom.
In the first half of this year, Bentley sold 376 cars in China, soaring by 116 percent year-on-year.
Owned by Germany's Volkswagen Group, the luxury car brand now has 11 stores in China and most of its autos are priced between 4 and 5 million yuan ($597,997 and $747,496).
To meet the robust demand, Bentley is expanding its sales network in the country at a faster pace than expected. Next year, the number of Bentley stores in China will reach 22, mainly targeting China's second-tier cities including Shenyang, Dalian, Taiyuan and Xi'an.
"Cities in Northeast and west China are our next targets, because we aim to broaden our outreach to all places with strong economic growth," Zheng added.
"With the rapid development of our business, now we have nearly accomplished the five-year plan we made one year ago," Zheng said.
Last year, Bentley announced it would expand its network in China to 30 by the end of 2014, with an investment of 300 million yuan.
Following the initiative, Bentley promised to add more investment to the expansion of its dealership network and brand advertising. Zhang said Bentley will surely invest more to China but the specific plan is still under discussion.

readings:
Review: Bentley melds bluegrass and country on CD

Bentley Supersports Convertible

Bentley Mulsanne

Bentley sees signs of revival in luxury car class
Apart from Bentley, other luxury carmakers also see robust growth in the Chinese market. China Times newspaper reported that the luxury automaker Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Ltd of the UK sold 678 cars in the first five months this year, a massive 146 percent increase year-on-year. Meanwhile, the Italian luxury car manufacturer Maserati saw a 60 percent growth in sales for the first three quarters of 2010. The company now has 11 stores in cities including Beijing, Shanghai, Dalian and Qingdao.
A survey by the US consultancy Bain & Co released in October showed China remains the fastest-growing market for luxury goods, with sales expected to rise 30 percent this year. Global sales are predicted to grow 10 percent.
According to the 2010 Hurun Wealth Report, which specializes in tracking the wealthy, there are 875,000 yuan multimillionaires, 6.1 percent higher than last year.

Comments(3)
Print
Mail

• Twitter
    • MySpace
    • Facebook
    • 开心
    • 新浪微博
    • 人人
    • 搜狐微博
    • 豆瓣
    • 白社会
    • Digg
    • Yahoo! Buzz
    • Linkedin
    • Mixx

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Re: Bentley in China .

That is amazing, pretty soon every impoverished villager will be driving a Bentley in China...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

But But But....I thought the wonderful Chinese were all green and such........going for the solar-powered Smart cars...LOL

The more China writes, the deeper the hole he digs.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada

Durka Durka

That is amazing, pretty soon every impoverished villager will be driving a Bentley in China...
........perhaps not a Bently (villagers are the" poorest" of the poor) but great number of villagers own a car- usually of German make.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Re: A traitor.

Todd Balazovic is a reporter for the Metro Section of China Daily. Born in Mineapolis Minnesota in the US, he graduated from Central Michigan University and has worked for the China daily for one year.

A real commie traitor ; wright Colpy. lol

I think you should update your political affiliation - To something else beside Conservative

A few suggestions

Running yellow dog of Chinese Imperialism

Chinese Lemmings R me

Slavishly devoted to oppression - Kinda kinky to i would add.

A blind supporter of the Politburo - Gods walking as men

Fascists unite -

and lastly - Just a lonely old fool without morals, character of any empathy for his fellow human beings.Yeah, thats my fav.

Just a few suggestions

Your Pal in Fascism

Love from The Uber Goober.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
China
China calls for collaboration on renewable energy

Updated: 2010-11-04 09:17

Comments(0)
Print
Mail
Wind turbines are seen at Guazhou Wind Farm in Jiuquan, Northwest China's Gansu province, Nov 3, 2010. It's the common responsibility of all countries to develop renewable energy and countries shall work together to attain genuine development of renewable energy so as to combat climate change, Liu Qi, vice chairman of the National Energy Administration (NEA) said. [Photo/Xinhua]​