Things that make Canada great

mbryant26

Electoral Member
Jan 30, 2008
U.S.
wrong again,..China and middle east does.

Where would we be without england? We've been without them for 130+ years,..they have followed us around. No one is strangleing them to hang around with us in war, and the same goes for canada.

I got to go,..it was great talking to you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Canada's GREATEST athlete?

No argument from me!

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Canada supplied 25% of the men who went ashore on D-day despite only having 10% of the allies population. At war's end Canada had the 3rd largest navy in the world. D-day +3 only Canadians where on schedule. We had a beach of our own. During both world wars Canada had a reputation with the Germans for being well trained disciplined troops. During WWII Canada was called the "Allies SS" due to their ferocity and hard fighting. Canada in both wars was a mostly rural country. Of course farm boys, lumberjacks and miners can out march, out dig and out fight city boys.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
``I'll trade you Brett the Hitman Hart for Hulk Hogan!``

WHAT?? Hogan can't even begin to wrestle!

He may well be the most hated grappler in Gopherland's history. And trust me, the folks here know their wrestling.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
``I'll trade you Brett the Hitman Hart for Hulk Hogan!``

WHAT?? Hogan can't even begin to wrestle!

He may well be the most hated grappler in Gopherland's history. And trust me, the folks here know their wrestling.

Gopher, I wanna see you square off against KoKo Beware:roll:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I tend to agree with English_Titan on this one. The majority of the western world has become eroded in both its values and accomplishments. At one point, being Canadian was being an extension of Britain (in English-Canada) or even an extension of Europe. Things have changed and a Canadian or a Briton or even an American doesn't necessarily mean what it used to.

That goes without saying how much of the western world has been taken over by greed and lust.

I'll agree to a certain extent. Titan's own post reveals much about the Brit arrogance Empire troops endured while England tried to make World War 2 look like an "England Stands Alone" event. Those two years our British friend claims Canadian troops did nothing were two years ALL British subjects were regarded as British - no matter where they called home.

Mother England would have been on her knees in a month without Canadian ships and sailors - and foreign contributions to her Finest Hour during the Battle of Britain were far more significant than our pompous friend cares to admit.

Even the Yanks are "also rans" in the John Bull view of history.

Woof!

Last edited:

ENGLISH_TITAN

Jan 30, 2008
www.myspace.com
Funny you should mention that. There would be no United States as we know it today if it wasn't for Alberta's oil. Almost 50% of your entire country's energy use is provided by Canadian industry.

So, no. You think of where YOUR country would be without us. It cuts both ways.

edit: ps. the original post wasn't written by me
If Anything, that means Canada has held up the advancement of natrual power sources thus eliminating the need for oil, so in this effect, Canada is responsibe for prolonging the damage to the atmosphere.

ENGLISH_TITAN

Jan 30, 2008
www.myspace.com
I'll agree to a certain extent. Titan's own post reveals much about the Brit arrogance Empire troops endured while England tried to make World War 2 look like an "England Stands Alone" event. Those two years our British friend claims Canadian troops did nothing were two years ALL British subjects were regarded as British - no matter where they called home.

Mother England would have been on her knees in a month without Canadian ships and sailors - and foreign contributions to her Finest Hour during the Battle of Britain were far more significant than our pompous friend cares to admit.

Even the Yanks are "also rans" in the John Bull view of history.

Woof!
This is the same response Americans got for highlighting Canada's obsession with America... arrogance, absurd.

I am sorry but Canada in the grand scheme of things weren't essential to World War 2, Britain was, it pains people to accept that as the rest of Europe surrendered and was occupied in 6 weeks, England, a tiny country by comparrsion stood up and said no.
The Battle Of Britain was a fantastic achievement, heavily outnumbered, out gunned, and of course far feweer experienced trained pilots that were totally exhausted from constant raids night and day before the London blitz, was a remarkable achievemnt, and I'm afraid 2 squadrons of largely British born Canadians were not soley responsible for this remarkable feat. Now to put things into perspective, the 2 squadrons of canadians were incredibily brave men, no doubt about it, look at the opposition and the prediciment they were in, Germany expected to crush Britain in a week, so those Canadians were hereos, but every person in Britain was a hero then, something which wouldn't happen in todays society, but to suggest those hero's owed their courage and existence to a few foreign nationals is completely absurd. If Canadians take credit for 1814 and ww2, I hate to I would hate to see them had they actually done these 2 feats!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I am sorry but Canada in the grand scheme of things weren't essential to World War 2, Britain was, it pains people to accept that as the rest of Europe surrendered and was occupied in 6 weeks, England, a tiny country by comparrsion stood up and said no.

Two words: Get real.

So the rest of Europe... would that mean France? Because I can't think of many other countries that officially surrendered within 6 weeks. Remember it was England that declared war on Germany; there was no threat of a German invasion.

I guess you forgot about the luck of being surrounded by water and having the worlds greatest navy?

England, a tiny country? Give me a break! It was at that time the largest empire the world has ever seen. Without this empire, England would have collapsed early. Without the help of the US during the war, the UK would have totally collapsed.

Who knows what would have happened to the royal family.. they are Germans after all.

ENGLISH_TITAN

Jan 30, 2008
www.myspace.com
Two words: Get real.

So the rest of Europe... would that mean France? Because I can't think of many other countries that officially surrendered within 6 weeks. Remember it was England that declared war on Germany; there was no threat of a German invasion.

I guess you forgot about the luck of being surrounded by water and having the worlds greatest navy?

England, a tiny country? Give me a break! It was at that time the largest empire the world has ever seen. Without this empire, England would have collapsed early. Without the help of the US during the war, the UK would have totally collapsed.

Who knows what would have happened to the royal family.. they are Germans after all.

Well, theres Poland, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, France as you so elaborately stated, Italy was already pro-nazi as was Austra, so effectively the whole of Europe was a launch pad for Nazi assaults.

England was a tiny country, especially compared to the Nazi war machine that was better trained, had far superior equipment and most importantly combat experience and the ability to be fully rested. Of course it sounds better to belittle Englands achievements during ww2 now, afterall Hollywood does it nearly every year, but in reality, had England followed suit and surrendered like the rest, Britain was the launch pad for an invasion of the States, so to say without the US Britain would be talking ''German'' the same would be said to the US without Britain, and just about every other country. Besides, the key turning point was Churchill using propoganda and mind games to get Hitler to declare war on Russia.
Oh and yes the Empire was the largest of all time, largely deflated from victory during WW1 over the Germans which benifited America and Germany far more than Britain, so it was already well in decline by the start of WW2.

The Royal Family have less German blood than most Canadians and Americans do, so unless we write Canada and America off as being all British that statement hardly rings true.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
What it comes down to is this. No one country can lay claim to being the deciding factor in the defeat of the German war machine in WWII. For the brits or americans to make that claim, as some have done here and on other boards, is the height of arrogance and only shows their ignorance. WWII was very much an Allied effort that included, not only britain and the u.s. but also a significant and important role by Commonwealth Countries, Poland, and the "underground" of the European occupied Countries. To say anything else is to demean the effort and sacrifice of many, many brave men and women.

Reactions: karrie

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
What it comes down to is this. No one country can lay claim to being the deciding factor in the defeat of the German war machine in WWII. For the brits or americans to make that claim, as some have done here and on other boards, is the height of arrogance and only shows their ignorance. WWII was very much an Allied effort that included, not only britain and the u.s. but also a significant and important role by Commonwealth Countries, Poland, and the "underground" of the European occupied Countries. To say anything else is to demean the effort and sacrifice of many, many brave men and women.

I agree with you gerry, no country can lay claim to being the decider in the defeat of the German war machine. Because it wasn't defeated, that war machine survived just fine and thrives today, it's called the "military industrial complex". Futher to that lets looks at the sides in the great fake war on fascism, there was the good guys the bad guys and the banking and industrial guys fascist all on every side, who backed both sides just like in the gang splash we like to call WWI. If you examine the histories of both conflicts you see financial and industrial institutions did just splendidly. WWII ended when Germany had been emptied and flattened and the borders rearranged for the next round of growth and developement by arms. The deaths of so many people is demeaned by the reasons behind the conflict and those who would perpetuate the madness of patriotism and militarism welded to capitalism. Or do you think a repeat of the carnage somehow justifys the waste of so many lives. Sacrifice it was for sure, a blood sacrifice to the god of money by money.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I agree with you gerry, no country can lay claim to being the decider in the defeat of the German war machine. Because it wasn't defeated, that war machine survived just fine and thrives today, it's called the "military industrial complex". Futher to that lets looks at the sides in the great fake war on fascism, there was the good guys the bad guys and the banking and industrial guys fascist all on every side, who backed both sides just like in the gang splash we like to call WWI. If you examine the histories of both conflicts you see financial and industrial institutions did just splendidly. WWII ended when Germany had been emptied and flattened and the borders rearranged for the next round of growth and developement by arms. The deaths of so many people is demeaned by the reasons behind the conflict and those who would perpetuate the madness of patriotism and militarism welded to capitalism. Or do you think a repeat of the carnage somehow justifys the waste of so many lives. Sacrifice it was for sure, a blood sacrifice to the god of money by money.

:roll:

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Well, theres Poland, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, France as you so elaborately stated, Italy was already pro-nazi as was Austra, so effectively the whole of Europe was a launch pad for Nazi assaults.

Poland was cut up into two by your future ally the Soviet Union and Germany.

Italy never surrendered.. to anybody but the allies that is.

Belgium and the Netherlands were invaded and never surrendered, they were however occupied.

England was a tiny country, especially compared to the Nazi war machine that was better trained, had far superior equipment and most importantly combat experience and the ability to be fully rested. Of course it sounds better to belittle Englands achievements during ww2 now, afterall Hollywood does it nearly every year, but in reality, had England followed suit and surrendered like the rest, Britain was the launch pad for an invasion of the States, so to say without the US Britain would be talking ''German'' the same would be said to the US without Britain, and just about every other country. Besides, the key turning point was Churchill using propoganda and mind games to get Hitler to declare war on Russia.

You can't effectively change the language of a country without destroying its population. There's nobody belittling England's effort here. It's you who's claiming it was only England who made any real effort to fight the Axis. What a lot of bollocks.

Churchill never convinced Hitler to declare war on Russia, he was crazy enough to do that himself. His overall plan included attacking Russia in the end.

Oh and yes the Empire was the largest of all time, largely deflated from victory during WW1 over the Germans which benifited America and Germany far more than Britain, so it was already well in decline by the start of WW2.

The Royal Family have less German blood than most Canadians and Americans do, so unless we write Canada and America off as being all British that statement hardly rings true.

The British empire hit its peak inbetween the two world wars and did not start its decline until after the conclusion of both wars. During this point the empire included around 1/4 of the worlds population.

The Royal Family have less German blood than most Canadians and Americans do
-- Then you must be forgetting the generations of blood relations of the entire British Royal Family. Saxe-Coburg, Battenberg, Oldenburg, the mixture of the House of Windsor, House of Hanover, etc. all come to mind.

Almost everything you've said is based on twisted versions of facts and fiction.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
This is the same response Americans got for highlighting Canada's obsession with America... arrogance, absurd.

The Battle Of Britain was a fantastic achievement, heavily outnumbered, out gunned, and of course far feweer experienced trained pilots that were totally exhausted from constant raids night and day before the London blitz, was a remarkable achievemnt, and I'm afraid 2 squadrons of largely British born Canadians were not soley responsible for this remarkable feat. Now to put things into perspective, the 2 squadrons of canadians were incredibily brave men, no doubt about it, look at the opposition and the prediciment they were in, Germany expected to crush Britain in a week, so those Canadians were hereos, but every person in Britain was a hero then, something which wouldn't happen in todays society, but to suggest those hero's owed their courage and existence to a few foreign nationals is completely absurd. If Canadians take credit for 1814 and ww2, I hate to I would hate to see them had they actually done these 2 feats!

How do you get that puffed-up head through a standard-sized doorway? You have totally ignored history to spout your fantasies (or delusions)

England would have fallen flat on her face shortly after the fall of France had it not been for North Atlantic convoys - shepherded by Canadian ships and men - who ferried trained-in-Canada personnel and Made-In-the-USA industrial might to Britain. Plans were already in the works for delaying actions when - NOT if, but WHEN - the Germans landed. Britain was virtually defenceless on land. Only Chain Home and the RAF stood between England and defeat. You can downplay the role of foreigners in the skies over south England all you wish. Had they not been there, YOU might well be learning German. Suggest maybe you speak to a veteran.

Brit? My ass.... They can spell....

Woof!

Last edited:

ENGLISH_TITAN

Jan 30, 2008
www.myspace.com
How do you get that puffed-up head through a standard-sized doorway? You have totally ignored history to spout your fantasies (or delusions)

Brit? My ass.... They can spell....

Woof!
I see, so it's only correct if it has Candians saving the world and defying the odd's while carrying a bottle of Molsons in one hand and waving a hockey stick in the other?

Oh lets not get pedantic over spelling either, though maybe you may not type in a haste, surely this is getting a little petty?

On another note, I am not ignoring the fact it was a massive task via many countries to defeat Nazi Germany, though it certainly isn't down to Canada! whose contribution was accepted though hardly required. The pivital roles were played through Britain, Russia and The United States.

I dare say had the United States not been involved, many Canadians wouldn't lay claim to such proposturous achievements and accept their minor role in the war.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I see, so it's only correct if it has Candians saving the world and defying the odd's while carrying a bottle of Molsons in one hand and waving a hockey stick in the other?

Oh lets not get pedantic over spelling either, though maybe you may not type in a haste, surely this is getting a little petty?

On another note, I am not ignoring the fact it was a massive task via many countries to defeat Nazi Germany, though it certainly isn't down to Canada! whose contribution was accepted though hardly required. The pivital roles were played through Britain, Russia and The United States.

I dare say had the United States not been involved, many Canadians wouldn't lay claim to such proposturous achievements and accept their minor role in the war.
Pompous ass.... Nobody said Canada single-handedly won a war. Are you EagleSmack's brother? Your style is exactly the same.

Woof!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

F.u.c.k you, you pompous a$$hole

Go ahead Karie....yellow card me...or red....I don't give a s.h.i.t.