Theresa May signs Article 50 letter to trigger Brexit

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
The British were greedy, scheming butchers. They're paying for it now.

Taking over territories and people in various parts of the world by force was their stock in trade. Now, they can be forgiven for brutalizing people - they weren't the only country to do this throughout history - but it's time to let those countries go if they want to leave.

And I think you know that BL is the last person to trust if you want a rational, unbiased and cogent lesson in British history.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Taking over territories and people in various parts of the world by force was their stock in trade. Now, they can be forgiven for brutalizing people - they weren't the only country to do this throughout history - but it's time to let those countries go if they want to leave.
Dafuq? Does that mean if I shoot my boss I can be forgiven because I'm not the only person to commit murder?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
you missed the whole point of my post completely!!!!
as well as the reality of yours!!!

why do foreigners need to search for jobs in britain in the first place?????

BECAUSE THE EU HASN'T GOT THE JOBS!!!!
duh

:)
wow

Moron - there are millions of foreign workers in the EU - the Brits only have a few of them. France and Germany both have more.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
So. . . there was no Irish Free State from 1922-1939?

Ohhhh-KAY.

Still, I'm looking forward to the mass round-up and deportations the day after Brexit.

The Irish Free State wasn't a part of the United Kingdom, you goit. Ireland (apart from the northern bit) seceded from the UK in 1922.

We WELCOMED the Angular Saxons as LIBERATORS!

Ask any Englishman.

That's true. After all, Vortigern, the King of the Britons, invited the Anglo-Saxons over in order to defend his people from the marauding Picts. The Anglo-Saxons were led by brothers Hengest and Horsa.

In Old English, "hengest" means "stallion" and "horsa" means "horse." Hengest became the first Jutish king of the Kingdom of Kent and he reigned from around 455 to 480. His brother Horsa succeeded him. Horsa's reign is the reason why the horse is the symbol of Kent and a white horse appears on Kent's flag.

The British were greedy, scheming butchers. They're paying for it now.

And I think you know that BL is the last person to trust if you want a rational, unbiased and cogent lesson in British history.

Canada wouldn't exist were it not for the British Empire.

EU sets out 'phased' Brexit strategy

BBC News
31 March 2017

European Council President Donald Tusk (left) and Maltese Prime Minister Joseph Muscat (right), whose country currently holds the rotating EU Presidency, during their press conference at Auberge de Castille, which houses the Office of the Prime Minister of Malta, in Valletta

The EU has outlined its strategy for Brexit negotiations, suggesting talks on a trade deal could begin once "sufficient progress" is made on a separation settlement with the UK.

The draft guidelines, issued by European Council President Donald Tusk, argue for a "phased approach" in talks.

The draft will be sent to the 27 member states for approval. They will set the tone for two years of negotiations.

Britain formally triggered the Brexit process on Wednesday.

It had called for simultaneous talks on exit terms and future trade ties.

The guidelines call for a "phased approach giving priority to an orderly withdrawal".

The draft suggests starting with discussions on the separation arrangement. They could then move on to talks about a future trade relationship between the EU and the UK.

It says the EU's overall objective "will be to preserve its interests, those of its member states, its citizens and its businesses".

'No bargaining chip'

UK Prime Minister Theresa May formally triggered the Brexit process by sending the Article 50 notification letter to Mr Tusk on Wednesday.

Speaking at a news conference in Malta on Friday, Mr Tusk said that while the talks would be "difficult, complex and sometimes even confrontational", he hoped all sides would approach them positively.

"The EU 27 does not, and will not, pursue a punitive approach - Brexit in itself is already punitive enough," he said.

He told reporters that the EU shared the UK's desire for a close partnership. "Strong ties reaching beyond the economy, and including security co-operation, remain in our common interest," he said.

"No-one is interested in using security as a bargaining chip," Mr Tusk added.

Mrs May's letter had been interpreted by some as threatening to withdraw co-operation with the EU on security matters.

Mr Tusk also raised the issue of the UK financial bills with the EU, estimated to be as much as €60bn (£51bn; $64bn).

In a sign of the bloc's determination to secure a "divorce bill" from Britain, he said: "We will need to make sure that the UK honours all financial commitments and liabilities it has taken as a member state."

He also said the EU would seek "flexible and creative solutions" to avoid the creation of a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

Mr Tusk is to meet Mrs May in London ahead of an EU summit on Brexit, which will not include her, on 29 April.

EU sets out 'phased' Brexit strategy - BBC News