The Proroguing Demonstration a Bust

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Ah yes Dief....the man who killed the dream.

Thank God, the Arrow boondoggle would have bankrupt the government.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Hey, Socrates, where ya been?

Please read the link from Avro's post below:

The King of Proroguing.

Hypocrites

Prorogation is a normal part of Parliamentary procedure, nothing anti-democratic in it at all..........
Hey Colpy good day to you,

my understanding is that the PM of the day has the right to call for prorogation as he sees feat in order to be able to govern.
I am sure no one is arguing about the fact that Harper has used his proroguing privilege, the real protest here is that the Conservatives use DEMOCRACY LIKE TOILET PAPER.

In a real DEMOCRACY the PM must not stop a question piriot on a sensitive subject like the Afghan detainee torture senario. That will cost the Conservatives in both fronts the Election plus thanks to the Harper incompetency Canada has mouved up on the Al quida sh!t list.:p:angryfire:

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Parliament Hill web cam showed no more than 1500 of which at least 100 would have been security people. Reporters are trying to spin the numbers and the results but web cams and cell photos do not lie.

Hey jay 3000 + people and many more in other cities demonstrating against the Harper thugs is a clear message to the Conservative bon heads in Ottawa.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Hey jay 3000 + people and many more in other cities demonstrating against the Harper thugs is a clear message to the Conservative bon heads in Ottawa.

If the 3000"+" headcount is accurate (who did the counting?), it doesn't seem to be much of a clear message to me, other than it's one of those "who cares?" situations. Over 10,000 people attended a little garlic festival here in 100 Mile House, BC last year. I could interpret that to mean over 3 x as many people are more interested in garlic than they are in the evils of proroguing by Mr. Harper.

Of course, I'd have to factor in the population difference between Ottawa and 100 Mile House, BC to come up with a more realistic comparison! ;-)

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
If the 3000"+" headcount is accurate (who did the counting?), it doesn't seem to be much of a clear message to me, other than it's one of those "who cares?" situations. Over 10,000 people attended a little garlic festival here in 100 Mile House, BC last year. I could interpret that to mean over 3 x as many people are more interested in garlic than they are in the evils of proroguing by Mr. Harper.

Of course, I'd have to factor in the population difference between Ottawa and 100 Mile House, BC to come up with a more realistic comparison! ;-)

And Democracy became TOILET PAPER FOR THE SNOW WHITE conservatives.;-)

Do you quite in the middle of a discussion which discussion implies you being in violation of dereliction of duty?

One thing is fact, “unfinished business often becomes very uncomfortable territory” especially trying to get a majority, which by the way it will not happen……..after this dismal red ink disaster facing the Canadian tax payers and plus the poor performance playing cowardly political games.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Of course there was no massive protest, despite the best efforts of the CBC and the Red Star: Canadians are bored with the overblown BS. The partisan hackery on both sides is wearing or has worn people out. There is only so much shrill protesting from Layton and Iggy or deadpan denials from Harper that people can endure... especially when the sky isn't falling...

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Most Canadians understand that MPs and cabinet are still 'working', whether Parliament is in session or not, and therefore, this whole thing is a minor thing blown out of proportion by a Liberal Party desperate to find some way to show them as relevant.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Thank God, the Arrow boondoggle would have bankrupt the government.

Just like a con to have no vision, the Arrow would have turned Canada into an aerospace hub bringing in billions if no trillions of dollars and jobs. Old rat face only thought of money, that and the yanks twisted his arm to end the program and that's where all the bright minds of the Avro program went.

Dief was a disgrace to this country.:angryfire:

Burn in hell Dief.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Just like a con to have no vision, the Arrow would have turned Canada into an aerospace hub bringing in billions if no trillions of dollars and jobs. Old rat face only thought of money, that and the yanks twisted his arm to end the program and that's where all the bright minds of the Avro program went.

Dief was a disgrace to this country.:angryfire:

Burn in hell Dief.

I agree with your thoughts on the tragedy of the Arrow, Avro. (Or should I say the "Avro Arrow?")

But, Dief did some good things too...too bad he is most remembered for that big mistake.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Considering the media blackout this government tries to maintain on just about anything the fact anyone showed up shows Harpers actions touched a nerve. That and the fact the Real-Cons(Reform/Alliance/Conservatives)tm have dropped about 15 points in the polls since Harper did his magical dissappearing act with our Parliment.

There's a pretty good facebook group going on this one too, I doubt anyone is going to forget this anytime soon.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
One report I read estimated from 27-35000 people across the country protested against the government on this issue. Not a big percentage of the population but enough to raise a few eyebrows on the hill I suppose.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
One report I read estimated from 27-35000 people across the country protested against the government on this issue. Not a big percentage of the population but enough to raise a few eyebrows on the hill I suppose.

Maybe a few. If you take the high side of the estimate above, you're looking at 0.001% of the population, if my math is right. Strong message? Hmm...

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
CB, you're right. Not a big percentage. Even if you use the eligible voters in the calcs the number works out roughly the same.
Perhaps we've entered a new era of protesting. Facebook, Twitter, email....they all seem to be the preferred method over placards and shouting from the gallery. Anyway, the true test is in the election results.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
CB, you're right. Not a big percentage. Even if you use the eligible voters in the calcs the number works out roughly the same.
Perhaps we've entered a new era of protesting. Facebook, Twitter, email....they all seem to be the preferred method over placards and shouting from the gallery. Anyway, the true test is in the election results.

Exactly!

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
If you can get 1500 apathetic Canadians in one place to protest something, on a few days notice, it's far from a bust.
It was advertised for weeks and monied by the Libs and the NDP.