THE OFFICIAL KEVIN O'Leary for Prime Minister thread.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
He's Prime Minister. He's got a university degree. He's popular.

Like what? What has JT actually accomplished? And I mean that he accomplished, not what he managed to do because of his name and daddy's legacy. Skating through life on a name and a trust fund isn't exactly an accomplishment.

Lots of people have a name, a famous father and a trust fund and have accomplished nothing. For all his faults, he's no idiot.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Sounds like the (big) tax is more important to him than people having the right to smoke pot because it is basically harmless. BTW JT is doing just fine.

Really? Justin Trudeau is doing just fine? I'd like to know what Trudeau has done in the last year that is of any note other than spending tax payers money like a drunken sailor.

Of course not, he doesn't even live in Canada.

Where is home? Kevin O’Leary who

He was born in Montreal, before you start demanding a birth certificate there, Donald. He holds a Canadian citizenship, he is active in Canada on the business scene and your best comeback is that he lives out of country to support his business ventures. Weak.

He probably isn't electable to the centerist swing vote in Canada, so he doesn't get my vote. I want to see a leader whom anyone can vote for, so that they will form a government. Ideologues don't do well in Canada. Harper figured that out early on.

Idealogue? What part of: Supports Gay Marrriage, Legalizing Pot, Womens Rights and their right to Abortion, did you miss?

Another rich goon wanting to keep the rich richer and the poor poorer.

I know this is pointless, but what the heck. Justin Trudeau is a rich goon. The only difference between Trudeau and O'Leary is that Justin was born into wealth, while O'Leary borrowed $10,000 from his mother to become an entrepaneur and ended up being very successful. Wait! I must correct my first statement. That is just the first difference. Justin loves spending your money and he loves selfies, but he's weak on policy. Justin Trudea is poised to introduce a tax that will do nothing for the environment, but will lne the pockets of the government coffures.

Not sure what you are talking about. Several million Canadians have dual citizenship, but they don't call Boston home.

Bar Sinister, stay calm and take a deep breath.
Now, show us on the doll where Boston touched you.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I think it's awfully unfair that a candidate can't become P.M. unless he/she speaks French. There are a lot of top jobs in government that you have to speak French to obtain. It is a shame that some intelligent individual who would make a positive contribution is lost because of this inane rule.
Since we HAVE to have official bilingualism even though most of Canada is English speaking, I don't see why an interpreter couldn't be used.

Should a person be able to become PM if they don't speak English?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Of course they should be able to.

The reality is that with this country's current demographics it is more difficult.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
OLeary destroyed the software company he ran, and sold it to Mattel under false pretenses, then started a mutual fund without any license, because 'momma needs to buy shoes'.

So, that's his character. Take it for what it's worth.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
It's not a matter of knowing f**k all, it's a matter of sh*t happening that should never be allowed to happen. I would say the French should be allowed to remain, if they wanted to learn English, otherwise back on the boat bound for France. That would have been more than fair.
Well you see, at that time French was still the primary language of trade and commerce and even in the Royal courts to some extent.

He's Prime Minister. He's got a university degree.
Oooo a B.A. in English and a B.Ed. for his dwama teaching "career". So he has a degree in one of his native languages and one for teaching people to play make believe. Wow, that's quite an accomplishment.
And again, he's the PM because of his name. That's hardly an accomplishment. Accomplishments are something you personally achieve, not something that's basically handed to you because of daddy's legacy.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
OLeary destroyed the software company he ran, and sold it to Mattel under false pretenses, then started a mutual fund without any license, because 'momma needs to buy shoes'.

So, that's his character. Take it for what it's worth.

Prime Minister Paul Martin changed the national flag on his company Canada Steamship Line so he could avoid paying taxes and left wingers think he was the most awesome Finance Minister we ever had. Go figure. Selective outrage.

Vbeacher

Electoral Member
Sep 9, 2013
Ottawa
O'Leary is almost certainly going to win the Tory leadership race according to most of the media who are quoting conservative candidates, insiders and polls. He has the big name recognition which all the rest lack. He has tremendous presence under the TV camera, and when he talks about fiscal and taxation issues anyone who is remotely conservative finds themselves nodding their heads in agreement. He speaks with determination and intelligence, and is highly convincing. He also lacks the 'scary social conservative' element which turn off so many middle of the road voters. Which means if he wins the Tory leadership he is much more likely to beat Trudeau than anyone else (which of course, is part of why he's so popular among conservatives). When he talks he sounds like he's being truthful and giving his unvarnished opinion (which I doubt is true but doesn't matter). Canadians, like Americans, are starved for plain speaking leaders, and O'Leary can fill that role, even if he is just acting the part.

The last thing in his way is French, but now that he's promised to learn it I see little to block him from the leadership. He has 600,000 twitter followers, or Gods sakes. If only a fraction of them buy membership just to vote for him he's in.

As for beating Trudeau, that depends on how the economy fares. If the economy goes downhill, debt continues to mount, and if his policies are seen to be wholly or partially responsible (they will be) a lot of people are going to turn to someone else.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Martin was the best finance minister we've had in several decades.

Depends on how you look at him. He "balanced" the federal books by slashing provincial funding for healthcare and education to the bone. A lot of people were outraged at the corresponding cuts or downloads by the provincial governments across the country at the time to account for the sudden drop in revenue but praised Mr. Martin. Most of the issues with healthcare funding and education funding and even issues with local city governments can be attributed directly to Mr. Martin. So I would say he was the most ruthless but hardly the best.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Martin was the best finance minister we've had in several decades.

You make my point exactly. While Martin did balance the budget and took bites out of our debt, he also:

• Gutted the Canadian Military.
  • Raided the EI fund and used it for General Revenue.
  • Cut transfer payments to every province creating havoc in every level of government from provincial down to the cities and towns.
  • He took away the Baby Bonus and played a shell game with the child tax credit.
  • I believe he also dumped the GST into general revenue thus undoing its original intent. (To pay down the debt)
  • He balanced the budget on the backs of the provinces.

Meanwhile, the Premiers of the provinces and the Mayors of every municipality were left to fend for themselves when their budgets were gutted by a Federal Liberal government. While the Chretien and his superstar finance minister, the one who changed the flags on his ships so he wouldn't have to pay taxes, touted themselves as fiscal geniuses, Provincial Governments bore the scorn of an outraged electorate who suddenly found their healthcare, education, infrastructure cut to the bone.

Never mind that they sold our soul to China.

Yup, best in decades.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Former Dragon Brett Wilson just gave a spirited defence and approval of Kevin O'Leary's entry into the Conservative leadership race in an interview with Don on Power Play. In doing so, he also eviscerated the Premier of Ontario and her disastrous Climate Change policies. Great interview with Brett.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
You make my point exactly. While Martin did balance the budget and took bites out of our debt, he also:

• Gutted the Canadian Military.
  • Raided the EI fund and used it for General Revenue.
  • Cut transfer payments to every province creating havoc in every level of government from provincial down to the cities and towns.
  • He took away the Baby Bonus and played a shell game with the child tax credit.
  • I believe he also dumped the GST into general revenue thus undoing its original intent. (To pay down the debt)
  • He balanced the budget on the backs of the provinces.

Meanwhile, the Premiers of the provinces and the Mayors of every municipality were left to fend for themselves when their budgets were gutted by a Federal Liberal government. While the Chretien and his superstar finance minister, the one who changed the flags on his ships so he wouldn't have to pay taxes, touted themselves as fiscal geniuses, Provincial Governments bore the scorn of an outraged electorate who suddenly found their healthcare, education, infrastructure cut to the bone.

Never mind that they sold our soul to China.

Yup, best in decades.

He downloaded all sorts of federal responsibilities to the Provinces, who in turn, downloaded all sorts of expenditures to municipalities (that do not have the same powers of taxation.) You can see the sort of damage that has been done to cities like, say, Toronto that is cashstrapped while trying to provide social services like housing that shouldn't be their problem in the first place.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I find it odd that the media is calling him the Canadian Trump. I guess it's a good idea though. Since he's obviously not a Canadian Trump, but Trump supporters are so easily duped, maybe we can convince them he is like Trump and so the sniffler energy will be transferred away from candidates who are actually like Trump.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I find it odd that the media is calling him the Canadian Trump. I guess it's a good idea though. Since he's obviously not a Canadian Trump, but Trump supporters are so easily duped, maybe we can convince them he is like Trump and so the sniffler energy will be transferred away from candidates who are actually like Trump.

I find it amusing when someone refers to Kevin as Canada's Trump, it tells me that they are either afraid of him and what he may be able to do or they know absolutely nothing about the man and are only repeating what the fearful are saying.