The difference between Spirituality and Religion

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Origen makes a categorical declaration of the esoteric sense when he says (Contra Celsum):
"The learned may penetrate into the significance of all oriental mysteries, but the vulgar can only see the exterior symbol. It is allowed by all who have any knowledge of the scriptures that everything is conveyed enigmatically."
We turn to Philo and Josephus, both living about the time of the "historical" Jesus. There is a tradition that Philo was converted to Christianity by Peter. If it is credible it would put him in close touch with the very earliest Christian sentiment. His testimony should carry considerable weight in the argument. He writes (D.V.C.):
"Now the interpretation of the sacred scriptures is based upon the understanding in the allegorical narratives; for these men look upon the whole of their law-codes being like to a living thing, having for the body the spoken commands, and for the soul the unseen thought stored up in the words . . . unwrapping and unrobing of the symbols . . . and bringing to light the naked inner meanings, for those who are able with a little suggestion to arrive at the intuition of the hidden sense from the apparent meaning."
Massey says that Philo "Platonizes the myths," reading new ethical meanings into them. But Philo’s forthright declaration on the esoteric method is found in his terse assertion, when speaking of the rib of Adam: "The literal statement is a fabulous one; and it is in the mythical that we shall find the true." For those who in spite of a mass of such testimony from eminent and godly men of the past continue
to assert that there never was any genuine and sincere esoteric knowledge, it is desirable to quote another statement from Philo:
"Now I bid ye, initiated men, who are purified as to your ears, to receive these things as mysteries which are really sacred, in your inmost souls, and reveal them not to any one who is of the number of uninitiated, but guard them as a sacred treasure."
"In the Mosaic writings," says Josephus (Preface to Antiq.) "everything is adapted to the nature of the whole, whilst the lawgiver most adroitly suggests some things as in a riddle and represents some things with solemnity as in an allegory; those, however, who desire to dive into the cause of each of these things, will have to use much and deep philosophical speculation."Who is this

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
And yet I am still more than you can handle. :)
You're a troll on a Christian themed thread, how much lower can you go?

Sorry, but the fellow that counted all the people your god murdered also counted all the people mentioned in the Bible that Satan killed; there were none.
So the only people that ever lived (and died) are only the ones mentioned in the Bible (that God killed)? If that means being 'beheaded for the word of God (in that He said they should die then they become part of the Re:20:4 group and that is not such a bad group to belong to.

Meh, reincarnation is a lot older than the Bible. What's more is that there's no evidence supporting it.
Resurrection is different, you pick up your same life where you left off and it is a one time deal.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
You're a troll on a Christian themed thread, how much lower can you go?

So the only people that ever lived (and died) are only the ones mentioned in the Bible (that God killed)? If that means being 'beheaded for the word of God (in that He said they should die then they become part of the Re:20:4 group and that is not such a bad group to belong to.

Resurrection is different, you pick up your same life where you left off and it is a one time deal.

Lester is an unbeliever and he should confine his materialistic self to the materialistic threads where by the grace of god he does no better but at least we cannot hear him barking.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Sexually abusing mentally disabled children?
Torturing pets?
Embezzling famine relief supplies?
Terrorizing elderly shut-ins?
I stand corrected, however that last one hits pretty close to home. There is a thread that covers the first two and oddly enough every famine I have attended is missing the 'relief thingy'.

Lester is an unbeliever and he should confine his materialistic self to the materialistic threads where by the grace of god he does no better but at least we cannot hear him barking.
You want to see him shredded to pieces that badly? Why do you thik he lurks on the religious threads, we aren't supposed to bitch-slap anybody, he's forgetting that we can repent those deeds later.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I stand corrected, however that last one hits pretty close to home. There is a thread that covers the first two and oddly enough every famine I have attended is missing the 'relief thingy'.
Just providing a bit of perspective. One of the problems I have with religion is that several of them say that bad-mouthing Gawd or the boss preacher is worse than murder, rape, robbery, &c. Pretty much all of them justify the mass murder of children.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
You want to see him shredded to pieces that badly? Why do you thik he lurks on the religious threads, we aren't supposed to bitch-slap anybody, he's forgetting that we can repent those deeds later.

Goodness no I want nothing of harm to transpire with his Gibsonship. The mans an unknowing saint soon to blossom into the fullness of righteousness I wager. He has all the right bearing and manner of one touched by the spirit but still in the rebellion stage like a swaddling infant. Lester 4:20

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I'm probably not going very far out onto a limb when I say that they are 'most likely' false Christians and they get 'spanked' harder than anybody.

Lu:12:42-49:
And the Lord said,
Who then is that faithful and wise steward,
whom his lord shall make ruler over his household,
to give them their portion of meat in due season?
Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.
Of a truth I say unto you,
that he will make him ruler over all that he hath.
But and if that servant say in his heart,
My lord delayeth his coming;
and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens,
and to eat and drink,
and to be drunken;
The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him,
and at an hour when he is not aware,
and will cut him in sunder,
and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.
And that servant,
which knew his lord's will,
and prepared not himself,
neither did according to his will,
shall be beaten with many stripes.
But he that knew not,
and did commit things worthy of stripes,
shall be beaten with few stripes.
For unto whomsoever much is given,
of him shall be much required:

and to whom men have committed much,
of him they will ask the more.
I am come to send fire on the earth;
and what will I, if it be already kindled?

Goodness no I want nothing of harm to transpire with his Gibsonship. The mans an unknowing saint soon to blossom into the fullness of righteousness I wager. He has all the right bearing and manner of one touched by the spirit but still in the rebellion stage like a swaddling infant. Lester 4:20
I stand corrected, .... and a tad disappointed at the same time. I hate it when that happens.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Beavs....yeah, I called you Beavs instead of Mr. Beaver and without your permission. Oh, I'm a high flying devil. Why you being so rough on Gilbert?

Mr Gilbert has been tempered in the CC inferno and is quite immune to any and all assaults. You can call me what you like excepting late for dinner.

cj44

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2013
Mr Gilbert has been tempered in the CC inferno and is quite immune to any and all assaults. You can call me what you like excepting late for dinner.
I'm curious - being somewhat new to the forum (about 6 months), how long has the religion vs spiritual debate been going on.

The CC Inferno - Ha! Indeed it is.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Hello Cliffy, I would have joined the discussion earlier but I have been busy with my ritual floggings and repetitive prayer chants. Now I have to light a few candles and howl at the moon. I'm most certain my religion will save me.

Please read the aforementioned in sarcastic tone.
On the spiritual journey, you don't have to be saved. There is no reason to. The only sin is the sin of self hatred. Guilt is a form of self hatred. There are no mistakes, just learning experiences. But, if you feel the need to be saved, that is your problem. The Creator I know does not require obedience or retribution, worship or tithing.

Psychology 101: However you perceive others is just a reflection of yourself that you are not willing to take responsibility for. It is called mirroring. You cannot know others because you filter all your data through the filters of your own bias and judgements. If you are waiting for someone to save you, it is time to look in the mirror.

cj44

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2013
Cliffy,
You say "guilt is a form of self hatred". Well, perhaps guilt is a good thing in certain cases. If one were to murder his neighbor, would it not be a good thing for the murderer to be guilty and hate himself for committing such an act?

Who is the Creator you know?

Your psych 101 doesn't apply to my spiritual journey. As a Christian, I am admonished to grow in empathy and compassion which in my opinion are the opposite of what you suggest here. All should be free to discuss and present their beliefs. In so doing, we must not expect or demand others believe the same.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Hello Cliffy, I would have joined the discussion earlier but I have been busy with my ritual floggings and repetitive prayer chants. Now I have to light a few candles and howl at the moon. I'm most certain my religion will save me.

I'm all in favour of Christians abusing and mutilating themselves, if that's what blows their skirts up.

Not so much when they're doing it to children in boarding schools.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Cliffy,
Your psych 101 doesn't apply to my spiritual journey. As a Christian, I am admonished to grow in empathy and compassion which in my opinion are the opposite of what you suggest here. All should be free to discuss and present their beliefs. In so doing, we must not expect or demand others believe the same.
I thought that is what we were doing. I'm not sure how you interpreted Psych 101, but, seems to me, one must know oneself first before learning empathy and compassion for others. Acceptance of oneself (self love), warts and all, is the first lesson in learning compassion. Some people need Jesus to do that, some don't.