The difference between Spirituality and Religion

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
As I have said, the spiritual journey is a personal one where as religion requires numbers to sustain. This picture about sums up what the spiritual journey is all about:

Since all spiritual journeys are personal, it may be within some peoples spiritual journey to embrace religion.

In other words, each to their own and best of luck to them.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Life's purpose is to enjoy it while you have it, I'll agree. Same for the unknown. I even enjoy that part cuz it's a challenge sometimes. If you quit experiencing new stuff and learning from life, you might as well lay down and bury yourself cuz you're dead.

And constantly fretting about what's ahead makes you miss some of what's around you so might as well enjoy life now and fret about hell n heaven when you get there. :D I don't think there's anything past this, so I'm determined to enjoy this bit to the max without religion.
If only God had thought of that concept, .... what's that you say, God did think of that?

Ec:9:10:
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do,
do it with thy might;
for there is no work,
nor device,
nor knowledge,
nor wisdom,
in the grave,
whither thou goest.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Since all spiritual journeys are personal, it may be within some peoples spiritual journey to embrace religion.

In other words, each to their own and best of luck to them.
Some peoples spiritual journey does embrace religion, but I have met very few who have. Most just parrot biblical passages and dogma someone else fed them. Very few actually live their lives according to their beliefs. They are too busy trying to recruit others to justify their beliefs thinking their is security in numbers.
"We all say it is true, so it must be true."

The little note at the bottom about doing it with friends is when religions start.
Those who are on their journey don't look for support. I have a lot of friends who know it is personal, and although they may have different experiences they support each other on their personal journey. They don't have to agree, but that is what friends are for.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
But the latest ones no doubt read the works of their predecessors. Do you think everyone's as stupid as you?
The OT wasn't found in any home and none of the writers of the NT (except Saul) had any duties that would have them be the equal of Priests in the temple.
I think a lot of people are more stupid than me about the Bible, that would most certainly include you

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Why does their have to be a difference?
There doesn't have to be. To me it is more of a personal take on things, like honouring another's path rather than judging them like some religious folk like to do. Many religious people know that the purpose is to become what you believe, not convert others and tell the rest they are wrong. It is the noisy, in your face types that give religion a bad rap.

The OT wasn't found in any home and none of the writers of the NT (except Saul) had any duties that would have them be the equal of Priests in the temple.
I think a lot of people are more stupid than me about the Bible, that would most certainly include you
You know what is in the bible. but you know very little about how, when or where and by whom it was put together. Like most people, you filter all information through your bias and prejudices, and refuse to look at anything that would call your beliefs into question.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Your life's journey is the spiritual journey. It is all about what you make of it. There is no right or wrong way, just learning, loving and enjoying the heck out of it. The past is but an inaccurate memory, the future is but a dream (wishful thinking). There is only right here, right now. The rest is illusion.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You know what is in the bible. but you know very little about how, when or where and by whom it was put together. Like most people, you filter all information through your bias and prejudices, and refuse to look at anything that would call your beliefs into question.
Really, should I take the 'many scholars' view that the Gospels weren't written until well after 70AD when Luke:21:12-24 is about events that would happen before 70AD?
The Gospels (all 4 as they are one Gospel) were in print when that term was first used. It is "your bias and prejudices, and refuse to look at anything that would call your beliefs into question." that stops you from being able to comprehend that truth, along witth all the other ones you hold. My view of the Bible came from reading it and understanding what it was saying, you view comes from not reading it. Why do you think I don't post on religious topics on this forum anymore? It's a waste of time.

Ac:15:7:
And when there had been much disputing,
Peter rose up,
and said unto them,
Men and brethren,
ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us,
that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel,
and believe.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Really, should I take the 'many scholars' view that the Gospels weren't written until well after 70AD when Luke:21:12-24 is about events that would happen before 70AD?
The Gospels (all 4 as they are one Gospel) were in print when that term was first used. It is "your bias and prejudices, and refuse to look at anything that would call your beliefs into question." that stops you from being able to comprehend that truth, along witth all the other ones you hold. My view of the Bible came from reading it and understanding what it was saying, you view comes from not reading it. Why do you think I don't post on religious topics on this forum anymore? It's a waste of time.

Peter rose up,
and said unto them,
Men and brethren,
and believe.
You will believe what you want to believe. There is no right or wrong, just personal preferences. And I did read the bible several times and decided it was not worth studying, for me anyway.
"Whatever gets you through the night, its all right, its all right." - John Lennon.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Some peoples spiritual journey does embrace religion, but I have met very few who have. Most just parrot biblical passages and dogma someone else fed them. Very few actually live their lives according to their beliefs. They are too busy trying to recruit others to justify their beliefs thinking their is security in numbers.
"We all say it is true, so it must be true."

While I wouldn't disagree that those who are sanctimonious and judgmental with respect to their beliefs are quite annoying, I honestly have to say, upon reflection, that I think that's more a case of the "few rotten apples" phenomenon. I just don't think it's truly accurate to say that very few live according their beliefs just by virtue of the fact that if they truly represented the majority, we'd all be a lot more inundated with "recruitment" and "justification" than we actually are. Not suggesting that doesn't ever happen, but I do think it tends to get somewhat overstated when describing the whole.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Peter rose up,
and said unto them,
Men and brethren,
and believe.

Peter is an interesting study. Particularly his association with black arts and the crowd he hung with and the disagreements with Pauline doctrine. His service to the church was suspect at the time.This discord died out with the untimely termination of the Gnostic elements of the early church. He was not the rock we are lead to believe he was. The utility of the Gentiles was important rather than their salvation.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You will believe what you want to believe. There is no right or wrong, just personal preferences.
No, that isn't the way it works. If you don't understand the book then a time will come where it will be gently explained to you through 'proof via works'. Come talk to me after that happens and we'll see if you have the same opinion then. In the meantime enjoy the meantime.

Peter is an interesting study.
Especially just after the cross whem he was naked in the boat when he was trying to seduce the Beloved Disciple (Mary of Bethany) I'm pretty sure that event was why Peter insisted he be hung upside down.

cj44

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2013
Hello Cliffy, I would have joined the discussion earlier but I have been busy with my ritual floggings and repetitive prayer chants. Now I have to light a few candles and howl at the moon. I'm most certain my religion will save me.

Please read the aforementioned in sarcastic tone.

Last edited: