The Church is not the Enemy

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: The Church is not the

Religion is for weak people that need a crutch just to make there way through life Wink

Thanks for that. I didn't know I was weak. I'd actually believed myself to be strong. I guess you all know better though

Mad_Hatter

Nominee Member
Oct 14, 2005
Shakedown Street
www.myspace.com
and most of us do NOT take kindly to being judged etc.--on a personal basis. comes too close to character attacks....(out of line here) ... judgeing another poster is WAY OUT OF LINE. ......and should be taken to heart.

Because non of the non-religious folk on this lovely little forum ever judge Christians solely for having these beliefs...

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
And do the religious judge the non religious beliefs? You want us to be silent and look the other way at what religion is doing now and in the past to human beings. It really does upset that twinks feelings have been hurt, I like her. But I am going to expose the fundies everytime they post their ilk.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

You want us to be silent and look the other way at what religion is doing now and in the past to human beings.

I don't want you to look the other way. I'd just prefer that people understand that what is done is done by people not by religions. If we use the excuse (and it is an excuse) that religion made them do it then they are never responsible for their actions. And they are responsible.

And it's not about hurt feelings. It's about what's good for the goose. Many don't want religion thrown on them. Fine. I've not done it. Yet I'm made fun of because I believe. I'm not making fun of anyone here for not believing. I do find it odd that both sides can't seem to see that they are doing to each other what they accuse the other of doing.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: The Church is not the

Twila said:
You want us to be silent and look the other way at what religion is doing now and in the past to human beings.

I don't want you to look the other way. I'd just prefer that people understand that what is done is done by people not by religions. If we use the excuse (and it is an excuse) that religion made them do it then they are never responsible for their actions. And they are responsible.

And it's not about hurt feelings. It's about what's good for the goose. Many don't want religion thrown on them. Fine. I've not done it. Yet I'm made fun of because I believe. I'm not making fun of anyone here for not believing. I do find it odd that both sides can't seem to see that they are doing to each other what they accuse the other of doing.

with much respect..(honest) twinks. ........ "religious " ideation that becomes fixated and extreme is the componant motivator for much of human behavior........BOTH productive and DESTRUCTIVE.

an aside..... but many of us "poke holes " at the beliefs themselves ..........not the people believing. Beliefs that have no scientific /logical /rational basis are open and fair game .....particularly now....in a more enlightened world. It is also understood that beliefs bring comfort, direction and many constructive things for many people. Sadly.....like any good thing......when it gets extreme or is "promoted" it loses the original value.

Many of these beliefs have been programmed since early childhood. and to counter them...... break away from them is as much a challenge as is detox from a potent drug. Many of us have succeeded in doing just that. ........and it is not easy......but inner freedom one attains is incredible. Things become clearer, objective, and a lot more rational. Getting rid of all the guilt induced by religion is the biggest challenge of all......as guilt induction is the most powerful control mechanism. IMHO.....religion uses TWO human factors to control their following: FEAR and GUILT. Both are deadly to the psychological make up of a person. And they strip away the individual uniqueness of a person, the self confidence , and the inner peace . But it is a complex psychological issue ...as well as a "religious " issue. no easy answers to this one.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
I'm sorry Twinks I should have wrote in my opinion at the end of that .I really meant no offense to anyone :oops: Religions just not for me and the clowns that show up at my door pushing it are the weakest looking people i've ever seen :wink:I took my daughter to bible camp this last summer and the people seemmmed to be giving me a wide berth :? The only ones that said a word to me were the bigger guys and it was almost like they were measuring me up like I was going to cause a big fight or something it was very strange .Needless to say she won't be going back .I've found a nice YMCA camp no religion involved for her to go too next year 8)

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
unclepercy said:
Ocean Breeze said:
Vanni Fucci said:
Yep...heaven is for sissies that can't take the heat...

Blah!

I'll drink to that.............. and the next round is on me...folks. :cheers:

Oh. I am beginning to get the picture.

Imaging studies have revealed a connection between heavy drinking and physical brain damage.

Dr. Michael Fishman, the director of the adult addiction medicine program at Ridgeview Institute in metro-Atlanta says, “If you have a prefrontal cortex that does not mature as it’s supposed to as an adolescent and young adult, it could possibly impede many different areas of our lives. We could become more impulsive, have poor decision-making, our judgment could be off, and we might not be able to learn as well as other people.”

“This really isn’t even a scare tactic. It just is what it is, and it’s very, very damaging.”

All that beer, all those shrunken prefrontal cortexs, -- ah yes, that explains it.

http://www.connectingwithkids.com/tipsheet/2005/250_oct12/brain.html
Uncle

actually percy........ya don't get the picture at all. (sorry ). That line about taking the heat was a JOKE.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I have a saying, its not God I have a problem with, its some of the folks who claim to represent him.
The radical right claims any idea that does not fit into their narrow little view of the world, is an immediate threat to themselves and to civilization itself. I don't believe everything I hear from the left as gospel anymore than I do the right. I just seems to me that the church folks want to run democracy in their own image and likeness. It has become more about power and politics, than it has to do with saving souls at it were.
The left has some bitter biting remarks that are not always helpful but some of the goofh stuff peddled by these so called Christians is just too much.
I have friends who are supposedly motivated by the Holy Spirit or whatever. They claim there is a gtreat spiritual war on all around us and well, holy ghosts, evil spirits, devils, and angels and give me a break.
This is the twenty first century and these people want to go back to the dark ages.
In some cases the Easter Bunny has more credibility.
The you have major religious leaders, like Pat Roberts who comes out advocating Murder of duly elected leaders like Hugo Chavez.
And yest Chavez was elected, in supervised elections.
When clergy, Christian, Muslim or otherwise advocates murder,
with the ten commandments and all, you have to wonder where the hell the faith is going.
You see most of the people are bigots, and narrow minded busy bodies, who want to enact laws demanding how I live. These folks exist on the left and the right and frankly I'm tired of them.
Quite frankly its time they mind their own business and tended their own garden.
Like I said, I don't have a problem with folks believing in God, but I sure have a problem with the evangelical right trying to legislate its narrow religious agenda on the rest of us.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
damngrumpy said:
I have a saying, its not God I have a problem with, its some of the folks who claim to represent him.
The radical right claims any idea that does not fit into their narrow little view of the world, is an immediate threat to themselves and to civilization itself. I don't believe everything I hear from the left as gospel anymore than I do the right. I just seems to me that the church folks want to run democracy in their own image and likeness. It has become more about power and politics, than it has to do with saving souls at it were.
The left has some bitter biting remarks that are not always helpful but some of the goofh stuff peddled by these so called Christians is just too much.
I have friends who are supposedly motivated by the Holy Spirit or whatever. They claim there is a gtreat spiritual war on all around us and well, holy ghosts, evil spirits, devils, and angels and give me a break.
This is the twenty first century and these people want to go back to the dark ages.
In some cases the Easter Bunny has more credibility.
The you have major religious leaders, like Pat Roberts who comes out advocating Murder of duly elected leaders like Hugo Chavez.
And yest Chavez was elected, in supervised elections.
When clergy, Christian, Muslim or otherwise advocates murder,
with the ten commandments and all, you have to wonder where the hell the faith is going.
You see most of the people are bigots, and narrow minded busy bodies, who want to enact laws demanding how I live. These folks exist on the left and the right and frankly I'm tired of them.
Quite frankly its time they mind their own business and tended their own garden.
Like I said, I don't have a problem with folks believing in God, but I sure have a problem with the evangelical right trying to legislate its narrow religious agenda on the rest of us.

BRAVO!!!

............further to that.........I could care less if folks "believe" in the tooth fairy......... as long as they do NOT FOIST that belief on me. They want "religion" go for it.......but again....same principle. Just don't come selling it at my door. (for that matter don't come selling anything at my door :wink: Ya know, scientists don't force their facts on anyone. The facts speak for themselves.....and folks can take it or leave it. ........depending on how enlightened and progressive they want to be.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Actually, Mrmom. I think it is I who owe you an apology. Seems that pms has me its grasp. I'm bitchy today and don't know why. Normally nothing like what you said would have affected me one way or the other. I'm usually pretty secure in my belief's regardless of what anyone says. Except, it's seems, when during pms. so, please accept my apologies. I've let emotion and hormones runa way with my ability to function as a normal human being today.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
No apologies needed hear Twinks :wink: Nothing you said in anyway bothered me .I just hope my usual not thinking before i say disease didn't upset ya in your condition :p :wink:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

I just hope my usual not thinking before i say disease didn't upset ya in your condition
Nah! I'm use to it. I'm married! lol

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Hmmm got that angle figured out already eh .I feel sorry for your husband he's not getting away with anything :lol: :lol: :lol:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

No, he's not. But we're not going to tell him that, are we?

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Nope he'll have to figure that out on his own :lol: Just like i did but at least i got away with some stuff for a few years :wink:

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Re: RE: The Church is not the

Twila said:
Actually, Mrmom. I think it is I who owe you an apology. Seems that pms has me its grasp. I'm bitchy today and don't know why. Normally nothing like what you said would have affected me one way or the other. I'm usually pretty secure in my belief's regardless of what anyone says. Except, it's seems, when during pms. so, please accept my apologies. I've let emotion and hormones runa way with my ability to function as a normal human being today.
Yi Twila ... I can certainly identify with you! Now and then I get all hormonal (menopausal in my case) and ride in here on a broomstick. Worst part is making the damn apologies afterward!

So glad you're not upset. The religion thing is such a personal issue that it certainly can happen.

I used to be one of those nasty, religion bashing people. I was as offensive as the bible hugging types who can't say anything without referring to their book. Took me a long time to learn tolerance and to find out that there are "normal" born again folk out there. I'd had some rather unpleasant experiences with some of the more, shall we say, enthusiastic born agains, and it had soured my entire outlook.

I'm all for any belief system that gives one peace, strength and inner knowledge. The caveat being that they not push it on anyone else. I've never known you to be pushy about your beliefs so no matter what religion you align yourself with, I have absolutely no quarrel with how you practice it.

Like Pea often says, though, if one does not want their religion challenged, ya gotta keep it private like yer underwear. My own beliefs fall into the neo-Pagan category and, you may have noticed, have rarely been named here in open forum. I find it tiresome to attempt to educate those with the knee-jerk christian reaction and would rather spend my time playing Solitaire than involving myself in those conversations.

Anyway, I'm glad you're not taking the tone of this thread personally. I know people would not want to hurt your feelings!!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Thank you Cosmo. I agree with you and Pea about the topic of religion. That's how I knew it was pms that was causing my reaction.

Mad_Hatter

Nominee Member
Oct 14, 2005
Shakedown Street
www.myspace.com
I used to be one of those nasty, religion bashing people. I was as offensive as the bible hugging types who can't say anything without referring to their book. Took me a long time to learn tolerance and to find out that there are "normal" born again folk out there. I'd had some rather unpleasant experiences with some of the more, shall we say, enthusiastic born agains, and it had soured my entire outlook.

At last, something intelligent said about the topic :)

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
:lol: :lol: MrMom ... wrong diety, emblem upside down. See what I mean about educating folk? ;)
FYI ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-pagan

Mad Hatter ... thanks for your positive comment. I do stand by the rest of the post though, that I can still become that snarly feline when anyone pushes any religious beliefs upon me. I don't let any of the fanatics off the hook, but any true believer who doesn't need to convert me to affirm their religious choice is okay by me. ;) Live and let live.