The Atheist movement coming to Canada

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
I for one welcome our new atheist overlords. :lol:

I would try and be sympathetic but I can't stop laughing.

I knew it! I totally knew it!!! I seen this story on the news earlier and had to change the channel quickly in order to avoid my blood pressure from shooting through the roof!

How dare atheists capitalize on their freedom of speech and expression!!! This is an outrage!!! Sure, they can keep it all in check in the UK, but this is Canada we're talking about here...

It starts with the ads, and then before you know it, little old alley has his head in a noose for posting all those things about atheists!

Don't these organized atheist groups realize that when us churchies feel threatened we have no choice but to throw our arms in the air and try to find a way to fight back?

And fight we will!!! I personally am going to find out where all the agnostics hang out this weekend and will try to convert as many souls as I can!!!

Where's my bible? ... ... what the? ... "King James Version" ??? ...Don't we have something a little more current around here? ... "International translation version"? ... Darn it! ... Guess my "Amplified bible" will have to do...

Hey, Babe!!!??? .... I said... Hey Babe!!?? Do we have any holy water left???

*alley's imaginary live-in girlfriend politely reminds him that he's not catholic, and doesn't believe in holy water*

Darn it!!!... see what happens when my blood pressure goes up? I get all flustered!!!

Well, off to the atheist threads to do a little ideological battle...8O;-):cool:

I was trying to stay stress-free for awhile, not to mention spare all you guys the impact felt from my awesome debating skills...

"stay away from the big boy threads" I kept telling myself, be mellow, post a fun little short story instead...

Well, like I said, guess I'll have to jump back into the serious threads for awhile. At least while I still have my head noose-free...

:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Atheists have no such commission. Atheists don’t care if they convert other people to their views.

Some find that a very important view to force down peoples gullets. Follow Atheist logic. Man created relgion. Man created religion to spread as it does because man needs other people to view them as correct, to think as they think, in part to validate themselves. Lack of belief in god does not remove the reasons for his creation. Thats why many Atheists do things, like put up bus adverts.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Billboards and bus advertising would seem to disagree with you.

That sort of thing will split atheists and non believers, as I would think that most non believers do not want advdertising etc splashed all over the place,
so the future will settle that movement, and possibly activist atheist and
simple non believers like myself, will have to butt heads from time, or the
'quiet majority' will just go about their lives as non believers, and as in any
type of movement, the radical and pushy will be noticed and not the rest, that's
life.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I have studied and participated in a large variety of belief systems. I don't necessarily believe in any of them. That is the beauty of being a free thinker. I can change beliefs to suit the occasion. Sorry for the confusion. It may not make sense to most but it works for me.
Ahhhhhh, an atheist/Catholic/Buddhist/Jainist/agnostic/etc of convenience. Interesting. Multiple personality disorder?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
But how do you know that Biblical God is the true God? If you go to church ‘just in case’, shouldn’t you also go to Mosque (just in case, what if Allah is the true God), to Synagogue, to Pagoda, to Gurudwara etc.?

If you are going to church just to buy insurance (‘just in case’), why not maximize your coverage and make sure that you go to heaven, no matter which God is the true God?
lmao Cool thought. But then it'd be a pretty daunting task to wander from one place of worship to another as there are dozens of gods. :D

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I knew it! I totally knew it!!! I seen this story on the news earlier and had to change the channel quickly in order to avoid my blood pressure from shooting through the roof!

How dare atheists capitalize on their freedom of speech and expression!!! This is an outrage!!! Sure, they can keep it all in check in the UK, but this is Canada we're talking about here...

It starts with the ads, and then before you know it, little old alley has his head in a noose for posting all those things about atheists!

Don't these organized atheist groups realize that when us churchies feel threatened we have no choice but to throw our arms in the air and try to find a way to fight back?

And fight we will!!! I personally am going to find out where all the agnostics hang out this weekend and will try to convert as many souls as I can!!!

Where's my bible? ... ... what the? ... "King James Version" ??? ...Don't we have something a little more current around here? ... "International translation version"? ... Darn it! ... Guess my "Amplified bible" will have to do...

Hey, Babe!!!??? .... I said... Hey Babe!!?? Do we have any holy water left???

*alley's imaginary live-in girlfriend politely reminds him that he's not catholic, and doesn't believe in holy water*

Darn it!!!... see what happens when my blood pressure goes up? I get all flustered!!!

Well, off to the atheist threads to do a little ideological battle...8O;-):cool:

I was trying to stay stress-free for awhile, not to mention spare all you guys the impact felt from my awesome debating skills...

"stay away from the big boy threads" I kept telling myself, be mellow, post a fun little short story instead...

Well, like I said, guess I'll have to jump back into the serious threads for awhile. At least while I still have my head noose-free...

:lol::lol::lol:
lol Your imaginary live-in gf? Does she eat vegetables like the lion and ogre in that tv ad?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Ahhhhhh, an atheist/Catholic/Buddhist/Jainist/agnostic/etc of convenience. Interesting. Multiple personality disorder?

Perhaps it is just that labels suck. I have my belief system. It doesn't conform to any other but does have elements of many. I believe in conversing with others in a language they can understand, so I can converse with a christian in biblical terms just as easy as conversing with a new ager or Native American in terms they are familiar with.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
An atheist group was expected to submit an ad for approval yesterday that would be posted on metro Vancouver buses promoting the idea that there is no God.

Humanist Canada approached Lamar Advertising, which handles TransLink’s advertising, to see if it can post ads with the slogan “You can be good without God.”

The City of Victoria has rejected the ads and yesterday Halifax’s transit authority did, too.

Pat O’Brien, the Vancouver-based president of Humanist Canada, said the ads are meant to educate people about the existence of an organized atheist group.

“It’s an organization that actively fights for secular values, separation of church and state and to bring attention to the fact that there are a lot of people who live their lives quite happily without God and that they’re not alone,” he told Metro.

A similar ad campaign in London, England, carried the message, “There’s probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.” Posters were placed in 800 double-decker buses and on the underground system last month.

Nancy Swartz, a member of the Secular Humanist Association in Victoria, said the ads present an important alternative.

“Almost every corner has a church that can have a billboard on their grounds that say anything they want,” Swartz said. “So this is just a place for us to get our message out. It’s an option, another way to live a morally good life.”

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Some find that a very important view to force down peoples gullets. Follow Atheist logic. Man created relgion. Man created religion to spread as it does because man needs other people to view them as correct, to think as they think, in part to validate themselves. Lack of belief in god does not remove the reasons for his creation. Thats why many Atheists do things, like put up bus adverts.

uh huh...... "Lack of belief in god does not remove the reasons for his creation. Thats why many Atheists do things, like put up bus adverts"

Logically that makes absolutely no sense other than "agrasping with the finger tips on the edge of the cliff" appeal to someone to rationalize ones position

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
An atheist group was expected to submit an ad for approval yesterday that would be posted on metro Vancouver buses promoting the idea that there is no God.

Tyr, the Atheist group may well have a Charter challenge here, their freedom of expression is clearly violated. If the city accepts advertisements from religious groups, they must accept advertisement from Atheist groups. Whether they will launch a Charter challenge is a different matter, these challenges are not cheap.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

Tyr, the Atheist group may well have a Charter challenge here, their freedom of expression is clearly violated. If the city accepts advertisements from religious groups, they must accept advertisement from Atheist groups. Whether they will launch a Charter challenge is a different matter, these challenges are not cheap.

It's Vancouver...... you can pretty much post anything anywhere... People rarely take notice

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

Reactions: Scott Free