The Atheist movement coming to Canada

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Sorry, I didn't complete that thought.

That scared the crap out of me. It was then that I realised that the new age had been co opted by evil forces.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I defiantly agree there probably is no God so I am enjoying life.

I just go to church just in case there is a God.

When I die I just don’t want to burn in hell just in case I meet God

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

If that god exists, it will know that you've been waffling all you life and it will make you fry anyway.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I always thought "evil" was a foreign concept to Atheists

:lol:

Ah! But if you look back you will see that I have never said I was an atheist. That is a common assumption because I think the bible is bunk, that the war god of the dessert is a psychopath and its followers are delusional. I never said there was no higher power.

To me evil is ignorance. People who feel a need to lead or hold power over others are evil because they usually use fear and or violence to gain that power. It is, of course, a false sense of power that only comes from a weak and fearful ego. I suspect anybody who sets themselves up as an authority in anything, especially law, religion or politics.

There was a time when I was a practitioner of Cree spiritual ceremony, but an impact with an ice wall with my head at sixty miles an hour created a gap in my memory and I can no longer remember how to do it.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
The self professed Atheist look down on people, ridicule and name call. I personally feel that if one can't discuss theological/spiritual/philosophical issues without immature put downs, one should refrain from discussing these matters.

I have the same experience with religionists, except oddly, they start name calling and when I make a rebuttal they scream foul. I have decided this is a new logic fallacy and dubbed it ad Semitic.

I have never ridiculed or "looked down" on anybody just because they are an Atheist and would never do that. I think the lesser halves of both philosophical quarters use these tactics.

No you ridicule them for other things... :roll:

You have aimed what you would call ridicule (if it had been aimed at yourself) at me.

It seems that to be religious a serious amount of hypocrisy needs to be built into ones character as a matter of coarse.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I haven't spent a lot of time on this site but the little while I have, I personally have found the opposite. The self professed Atheist look down on people, ridicule and name call. I personally feel that if one can't discuss theological/spiritual/philosophical issues without immature put downs, one should refrain from discussing these matters. I have never ridiculed or "looked down" on anybody just because they are an Atheist and would never do that. I think the lesser halves of both philosophical quarters use these tactics.

I have read atheist's remarks, making fun of religion, etc., but the judgemental
and looking down the noses come from the religious, so it's just a difference
of types of criticizm, I think. Their statements of 'high moral position', is
one of arrogance, they are not more moral that anyone else, just as much crime
amongst the religious (or self proclaimed religious) than anyone else, just
as much lack of morality than anyone else.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I have the same experience with religionists, except oddly, they start name calling and when I make a rebuttal they scream foul.

As I've said, there is far more evidence of the ridicule going the other way.

No you ridicule them for other things... :roll:

Yes I do..as do you and many others on this forum. I am talking about religious/spiritual discussions though.

You have aimed what you would call ridicule (if it had been aimed at yourself) at me.

That is because you say some really dumb things that simply cry out for ridicule...but again, not when it comes to your personal beliefs. That is for you to decide. Besides, if you really knew me you would know I'm not really ridiculing you. I don't even know you. ;-)

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
As I've said, there is far more evidence of the ridicule going the other way.

Paranoid much?

I think maybe you need to bone up on your history :lol: (hint: see The Inquisition)

That is because you say some really dumb things that simply cry out for ridicule...

How the hell would you know? ;-)

but again, not when it comes to your personal beliefs. That is for you to decide.

True, because that right was wrestled away from religionists (see link above).

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

But how do you know that Biblical God is the true God? If you go to church ‘just in case’, shouldn’t you also go to Mosque (just in case, what if Allah is the true God), to Synagogue, to Pagoda, to Gurudwara etc.?

If you are going to church just to buy insurance (‘just in case’), why not maximize your coverage and make sure that you go to heaven, no matter which God is the true God?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Holy Cripes! I just thought of a real moneymaker. Write a book titled "Conversation with the Devil."

Spade, what would be a real money maker would be a conversation between God and Devil, hosted by somebody like Jerry Springer (have you seen Jerry Springer, the Opera?).

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
The religious do not need to prove anything, until they start trying to convert/evangelize others. My belief system shouldn't bother you so long as it's mine, and vice versa. It's too bad more people from both camps can't get that.

karrie, ‘from both camps’? Don’t equate Atheists with Evangelicals. The religious right has a God ordained commission to evangelize the whole world (in that respect, they are not really that much different from Osama Bin Laden, the only difference is that Osama would do it by violent means, while religious right would do it mostly by peaceful means).

Atheists have no such commission. Atheists don’t care if they convert other people to their views.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Have you read ‘Autobiography of God?”? A very funny, very irreverent look at the Book of Genesis (mainly) and also the rest of the Bible.

I'm not familiar with it. What about Olde Charlie Farquharson's Testament: From Jennysez to Jobe and the After Words.

I pick that up and reread it every couple of years.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Atheists have no such commission. Atheists don’t care if they convert other people to their views.

Yeah, that's right, atheists are a neutral bunch, happy with their life on this
earth, as is, and ask no more, and whatever the believers want do believe, is fine
with me, that is their business.