The 100 Most Significant Figures in History

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
ha. Imagine that. Going down in history for spreading syphilis to a new continent.

I just went on line to double check that "fact". It's not quite conclusive. Syphilis first showed up in an army in Europe about 1495 and for many years was attributed to Chris, but now there seems to be a suggestion that it is a bug found in seafood, so Chris may be not guilty beyond reasonable doubt. -:)

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Who’s bigger: Washington or Lincoln? Hitler or Napoleon? Charles Dickens or Jane Austen? That depends on how you look at it.

Old Boney wasn't supposed to have been that big. What was he? 2ft 4 in, or something like that?

Take heart, you still scored better than the Bieber.

How many Canadians are in that list?

It's not too surprising, though, to see so many Brits.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Old Boney wasn't supposed to have been that big. What was he? 2ft 4 in, or something like that?

How many Canadians are in that list?

It's not too surprising, though, to see so many Brits.

Not the least bit surprising given how they dominated much of the world for a very long time. It must really bother you that those glory days are long gone.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Not the least bit surprising given how they dominated much of the world for a very long time. It must really bother you that those glory days are long gone.

Fifty years from now there's be a whole cache of new Brits to stick in the world's greatest people list.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Oh for crying out loud. :roll:

Canadians got short shrift on that list..............Frederick Banting and Alexander Graham Bell just to name a couple. (I guess what I'm saying is the list is Bullsh*t) -:)

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Norman Borlaug is responsible for saving billions of lives and he didn't make the list.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Hitler should be #1, check the press, ain't a day goes by without him in it. And never mind arguing. Hasn't he done a great service to mankind by teaching us who to look out for?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I belong to an American history book club and we have had excellent exchanges of ideas over our many years together. Historically it is an established fact that more books have been written about Jesus Christ of Nazareth than anyone else. Abraham Lincoln is second. Therefore, it stands to reason that these are the two most significant figures in history. I leave the rest of the list to others more informed on the subject than I am.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Not sure the Jews would concur.

The Jews isn't the WHOS I I was thinking about. Look out for the conquering populist.

Oh DB doesn't care about that, he wants Hamas to pick up where his Uncle Adolf left off.

Hamas will be butchered in place before the world lifts a finger, they're not an enemy as much as an captive example.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hitler should be #1, check the press, ain't a day goes by without him in it. And never mind arguing. Hasn't he done a great service to mankind by teaching us who to look out for?

Of the 20th century, perhaps. Of all history? Top 10 I could see.

Historically it is an established fact that more books have been written about Jesus Christ of Nazareth than anyone else. Abraham Lincoln is second. Therefore, it stands to reason that these are the two most significant figures in history. I leave the rest of the list to others more informed on the subject than I am.

Number of books written about them in itself doesnt seem like much of a qualification. Though I would agree Jesus should probably get first place - and Im an atheist. Abraham Lincoln? Certainly influential in the US and well known throughout the world but what influence has he really had outside of the US? With Jesus the influence is easy to see through Christianity in its many forms.