Thanks for nothin, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUEZ

Nominee Member
Feb 12, 2007
PG
Now it's the same crap. In the last softwood lumber deal with the American Harper rammed it through weeks before we won the case that would have seen all tariffs lifted and all money returned. In the deal the White House got 500 million in discretionary funds and the U.S. lumber lobby got another 500 million to fight us in the next round whenever that comes up. A major sell-out of people who had been fighting for fair trade for years.
What makes you think we were about to win anything with the US? How many times have we've proven our case only to be rebuffed by the US. The Liberals couldn't do it either so it's very doubtfull we were going to get anywhere without cutting some sort of deal. It's not great and if affects my region quite deeply but it's hardly Harper sucking up to the US.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Sorry, but you are wrong.

I meant that it was a shame you felt that way.

If you want to invent what I meant go ahead.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Right on, Andem. I think if I were Harper, as soon as the Yanks got there, I'd pack our troops up and bring em home. :D

As soon as the Yanks got where? Afghanistan?

Are they teaching you folks that Canadians were in Afghanistan first now? :pukeright: :pukeright:

karra

Ranter
Jan 3, 2006
here, there, and everywher
Bush has never liked Canada and even referred to Mexico as their most important neighbour after Canada took care of all diverted flights on 11.09.01. This is old news and Canadians are certainly not the type of people that would even accept or want praises from Bush.
Wrong - being our good and great neighbor to the south - plus our largest trading partner - plus they look like us or we look like them - plus we essentially all kida started out on the Mayflower - plus, whatever your thoughts re Bush - he is the President of the United States of America - so, yes, I for one would want the President to sing our praises.

Now, if Bush had in fact thanked us for our past and on-going contribution - what do you think would have occurred - well, let me tell yawl - the far left nutters and their good friends the flat-eathers and their good buds the foilers, plus, well you get the idea - would have been leaping all over and amongst themselves in a frenzy.

So, the lesser of two evils - get over it. . . .

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
As soon as the Yanks got where? Afghanistan?

Are they teaching you folks that Canadians were in Afghanistan first now? :pukeright: :pukeright:

No.

Not first, but with the Americans. Elements of the PPCLI (snipers, mostly) and our elite JTF2 both were there in the early days. Those snipers saved a lot of US butt, and were recognized for it by the Americans. They engaged the Taliban at extreme range, making one kill at almost 2 1/2 KILOMETERS! That's ONE AND A HALF MILES, for you Yanks. (They use .50 BMG caliber MacMillan bolt action single shot rifles)

BTW, I notice in today's paper that Mr. Bush announced in his speech yesterday that he is sending 3200 more soldiers to help out in southern Afghanistan.

As long as he sends more troops, I don't give a shyte whether or not he pats our head.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
What makes you think we were about to win anything with the US? How many times have we've proven our case only to be rebuffed by the US. The Liberals couldn't do it either so it's very doubtfull we were going to get anywhere without cutting some sort of deal. It's not great and if affects my region quite deeply but it's hardly Harper sucking up to the US.

Hmmm...thought I read in the papers a couple of weeks after the Harper softwood deal went through that we'd won in the U.S. courts and would have got everything back plus no tariffs. Kind of interesting how the White House and the U.S. lumber lobby got to split over $1 billion dollars that rightfully belongs to Canadian producers. We were making slow headway and Harper killed it with his agreement. He played hardball with lumber companies, telling them they were their own if they didn't sign on with his deal. We won many challenges in the trade boards and all that effort was thrown away because it was done under the Liberals. I live in town where we had seven lumber companies operating five years ago. Now we have two. Don't think people here will forget that come next election.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Hmmm...thought I read in the papers a couple of weeks after the Harper softwood deal went through that we'd won in the U.S. courts and would have got everything back plus no tariffs. Kind of interesting how the White House and the U.S. lumber lobby got to split over $1 billion dollars that rightfully belongs to Canadian producers. We were making slow headway and Harper killed it with his agreement. He played hardball with lumber companies, telling them they were their own if they didn't sign on with his deal. We won many challenges in the trade boards and all that effort was thrown away because it was done under the Liberals. I live in town where we had seven lumber companies operating five years ago. Now we have two. Don't think people here will forget that come next election.
Not sure what town you're in but the heaviest blow the forest industry in the Kootenays got came from the NDP, not the softwood lumber stuff.

RUEZ

Nominee Member
Feb 12, 2007
PG
You don't like Harper that's fine, but let's not credit him with things he doesn't deserve. The agreement we got was largely hammered out by Emerson, which was begun when he was a Liberal. It's not perfect but most companies are behind it because if finally gives some stability to the industry. We may have won many challenges at the various trade organizations but we didn't win them all, and this disagreement could have gone on for many more years. Considering this agreement only lasts seven years we'll probably be at this again very soon. If you remember the softwood lumber agreement that the Liberals signed before this, it wasn't any better.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California

Ouch ouch..... Canada on the warpath ....
down with George Bush the evil empire builder...

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
DEAD ON!

Geezus, one minute the lefties are crying because we are too close to Bush, the next they whine because Daddy Bush has not patted them on the head.

Spare me.
The hypocracy is baffling around here Colpy!!!???
Now or then?

Back then Mulroney seemed more concerned with helping the U.S. economy than Canadas'. Free trade was a joke especially if you're in the softwood lumber trade.

Now it's the same crap. In the last softwood lumber deal with the American Harper rammed it through weeks before we won the case that would have seen all tariffs lifted and all money returned. In the deal the White House got 500 million in discretionary funds and the U.S. lumber lobby got another 500 million to fight us in the next round whenever that comes up. A major sell-out of people who had been fighting for fair trade for years.

On a personal level I think it's a disgrace that our Foreign Affairs minister is seemingly having one with the Secretary of State of the U.S. It's unproffessional at the least and compromises our foreign policy, which is pretty much run from south of the border now anyway.
Ya free trade only lost us certain lower wage jobs, but brought higher wage, skilled and technical jobs up north, increasing both the economy and our standard of living.

The lumber dispute was over Canada's subsidized stumpage fees, they are and the US was rightly annoyed by that.
Not quite!
If the so-called leader of the free world mentions one country, he has to mention them all. Leaving out Canada was a deliberate affront, as it would be with any country that had made a significant contribution to this effort. Nobody could be that stupid. This is not the first time Bush has left Canada out of his praise after we had made the effort.
Perhaps as a result of the rather unfeeling and uncaring attitude of your dear leader Cretin!!!??
"What's even funnier is that softwood lumber has always been excluded under the free trade agreements, and yet many keep bringing it up as if it were. Oh ya, Canada took exception to Canadian Cultural issues under the free trade agreements."

My point exactly.

One of our major industries was excluded from an agreement that was supposed to guarentee free trade. And thousands of our manufacturing jobs went south and then even further south when American companies started setting up shop in Mexico.

There's a reason the Conservative Party virtually dissappered during the early 1990s.
Yep there is a reason, short sighted people that think the Liberals actually increased the economy. For more scroll back, I already answered the rest of your post.
Bush never liked Canada ever since Gore was an official Canadian hopeful.

This thread is really childish. The same people bitching how much of a moron bush is and who the hell listens to anything he says, now complain about something he didn't say.

Hellloooooo!
Yep yep yep!!!
I'm sure the dead Canadian soldiers are laughing their guts out right now.

Thank you Mr. Bush.:pukeright:
The dead Canadian Soldiers? Bush didn't kill them, the Afghan insurgents did. Besides that, I highly doubt you have one ioda of an idea as to what our Troops are thinking, while still alive. All my friends curently serving, a couple of which are going back soon, have expressed that they are in fact facing considerable opposition, but what is growing in their wake, is better then what was there, when they arrived.
So let me get this straight - you guys are upset because a man you loathe doesn't recognize you as his best friend?

:scratch:
Yes they are Toro, can you smell the hypocracy where you are too?
George who?
Washington? Lopez? Curious George? lmao!
You don't like Harper that's fine, but let's not credit him with things he doesn't deserve. The agreement we got was largely hammered out by Emerson, which was begun when he was a Liberal. It's not perfect but most companies are behind it because if finally gives some stability to the industry. We may have won many challenges at the various trade organizations but we didn't win them all, and this disagreement could have gone on for many more years. Considering this agreement only lasts seven years we'll probably be at this again very soon. If you remember the softwood lumber agreement that the Liberals signed before this, it wasn't any better.
Stop telling the truth RUEZ, the short sighted rarely remember anything beyond Mulroney's deficit.

Ouch ouch..... Canada on the warpath ....
down with George Bush the evil empire builder...
rotflmffao!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.