Teen who stabbed girlfriend 104 times gets life sentence

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
and needs a serious evaluation to determine if he is a psychopath and if he is...no release just a transfer

If he is a psychopath, it might explain his behavior. However many psychopaths are functioning, contributing members of society. Some are CEOs or large corporations. (Psychopaths tend to rise to the top in a dog eat dog capitalist society because they tend to be ruthless.)

Lacking a sense of empathy for others (psychopath) combined with a blatant disregard for the consequences of actions can lead to deadly consequences. Based on the excessive number of times the youth stabbed his victim, I'd say he also has severe anger management and rage problems. A maximum security mental institution where he would be held until a qualified expert deems him safe to release might have been a better judgement. But the judge determined that a prison for adults was the correct venue for his rehabilitation.

Judges should be free to exercise judgement without political interference.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm rather surprised about the sentence. The guy is an obvious loonie. He stabbed the girl a hundred and four times. This sort of crime
would usually get a guy sententenced to life without parole to a mental institution. I know he was charged with second degree murder but
seven years minus time served does not fit the crime. The stupid judge had no idea.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
If he is a psychopath, it might explain his behavior. However many psychopaths are functioning, contributing members of society. Some are CEOs or large corporations. (Psychopaths tend to rise to the top in a dog eat dog capitalist society because they tend to be ruthless.)
True, statistically it is only a small percentage of psychopaths that actually kill. Most walk amoung us unidentified for the most part because they lead perfectly average lives.

Judges should be free to exercise judgement without political interference.
Absolutely.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
seven years minus time served does not fit the crime. The stupid judge had no idea.

That doesnt necessarily mean he'll get out then. He could potentially be in there for decades or perhaps life if the parole board does not think he should be released.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm rather surprised about the sentence. The guy is an obvious loonie. He stabbed the girl a hundred and four times. This sort of crime
would usually get a guy sententenced to life without parole to a mental institution. I know he was charged with second degree murder but

He was sentenced to life, not to seven years.

I just want to clarify that allowing parole is not the same as saying that is his sentence. The judge is placing faith in the parole board to do their job now, and not let him out unless he miraculously ends up rehabilitated.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

I just want to clarify that allowing parole is not the same as saying that is his sentence. The judge is placing faith in the parole board to do their job now, and not let him out unless he miraculously ends up rehabilitated.

In our wonderful, most liberal Canada even a life sentence without parole only means 25 years. I think life should mean life like it does down south. In the US life without parole means you get out in a pine box.

I could see giving him some chance to rehabilitate and get out but if wins on his first try he will only be 23 with his whole life ahead of him while her parents and siblings have a lifetime of being scarred and missing her.

Seven years total is ludicrous....I have socks older than that, and something greenish in a tupperware container in the back of the fridge about that age too 8O

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Honestly how much faith do you have in the parole board?

Being honest myself, I don't have a hell of a lot.

Seven years total is ludicrous....I have socks older than that, and something greenish in a tupperware container in the back of the fridge about that age too 8O

You should probably throw that out.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
That is the release part of the caaatch & release program.

It is the least open and accessible part of the criminal justice system, also the criteria is the least understood and explained.

I keep thinking back to the 30 some odd year old recently released, quietly, here in Ontario who had brutally slaughtered his family out west when he was fifteen. And he has restrictions against beginning a relationship without telling them. That stuff makes me wonder about the parole board, who they are and why they do what they do.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
He had record of violent behavior- the crime in how it was committed only reinforces that. The YOA is a joke when it comes to murder.
He should have received a life sentence.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A happy medium?! What would the happy medium be in these cases?

" Skeete will eligible for parole in five years, because he's already served two years."

About 50 years longer than what he's getting! -:) And even that would only be 6 months for each stab wound!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
He had record of violent behavior- the crime in how it was committed only reinforces that. The YOA is a joke when it comes to murder.
He should have received a life sentence.

He did get a life sentence, he's just eligible for parole in seven years (five now because of two served). I just think that parole has to really be something that's earned but I fear that won't be the way it is.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
He did get a life sentence, he's just eligible for parole in seven years (five now because of two served). I just think that parole has to really be something that's earned but I fear that won't be the way it is.

I should have clarified that- adult as one who would be treated if they were 18 years or older. Note that does not according to law apply on the first day they turn 18. Treated under the YOA. Must be 18 plus 1 day.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In our wonderful, most liberal Canada even a life sentence without parole only means 25 years. I think life should mean life like it does down south. In the US life without parole means you get out in a pine box.

Not quite true Nick.................25 years is the minimum before parole eligibility. Paul Bernardo will come out in a pine box as did Olson. David Shearing just got denied parole AFTER serving 25 years.

Bullet in the head instead of hanging or lethal injection.

Yep, I always kind of thought lethal injection was the sissies way out!

Right on SLM, but it's a "life sentence" 90% of which could mean reporting to the probation officer once a month!

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Bullet in the head instead of hanging or lethal injection.

...Yep, I always kind of thought lethal injection was the sissies way out...

How you guys feel about public beheadings and amputations as punishments for crimes?

IMO, one form of capital punishment is about as barbaric as another. A beheading might be messier but I suspect if executed properly its probably less painful and much faster than the other methods which meet your approval.

I am against capital punishment, because it means innocent people will be put to death and because its cruel. Locking someone up forever is also cruel. I support the faint hope clause because it gives convicted criminals a reason to behave and help others. IMO, few people are beyond redemption.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
How you guys feel about public beheadings and amputations as punishments for crimes?

IMO, one form of capital punishment is about as barbaric as another. A beheading might be messier but I suspect if executed properly its probably less painful and much faster than the other methods which meet your approval.

I am against capital punishment, because it means innocent people will be put to death and because its cruel. Locking someone up forever is also cruel. I support the faint hope clause because it gives convicted criminals a reason to behave and help others. IMO, few people are beyond redemption.

I tend to agree but picking the right candidates can be tricky!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The law should be defined a little more simple than that here is my point.
If a judge determines an offender meant to kill the victim the sentence
should be twenty five years period. From the day of sentencing. No more
two for one days or any of that. Enough already. The idea that one is on
drugs or drunk should no longer be an excuse either. In fact I would like to
see a charge for that. Kill someone while intoxicated and addition five years.
If you commit a gun crime they can add time why not this.
No more excuses.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Teen who stabbed girlfriend 104 times gets life sentence
By QMI Agency

A Nova Scotia teenager who stabbed his girlfriend 104 times has been sentenced to life in prison.
Melvin Skeete Jr., now 18, was 16 when he stabbed his girlfriend Brittany Green to death in 2010.
Because Skeete was sentenced as an adult, a publication ban on his name was lifted. Judge Anne Derrick also lifted the publication ban on Green's name.
He was found guilty of second-degree murder in August.
Skeete will eligible for parole in five years, because he's already served two years.
When he left the courtroom after sentencing, Skeete reportedly said "f--k the judge, f--k the police, f--k the system."

During his trial, he said he didn't remember stabbing the girl because he'd been popping prescription pills and doing shots of moonshine that day.
"I am satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that he intended to kill the victim, an intent he formed notwithstanding his intoxicated condition," the judge said.

Teen who stabbed girlfriend 104 times gets life sentence - Crime - Canoe.ca

You know, you read the title of the article and think "Aha, finally. Strong sentence for a severe crime!". And then you read
Maybe he should try these words of remorse and contrition at his parole hearing.

This guy could very well be out sooner than the ten year old that shot his abusive, violent father in California. Does that seem off to anyone else?

This is Canada. I knew before I read the article that he would have received a pathetic sentence. Justice really is blind(or at least the bleeding-heart judges are) in Canada.