Tar sands = filthy dirty bitumen "oil"

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Which of you greenie weenies wants to come make planet saving bio-diesel for me?

I'll supply the canola, the oil extractor, the chems, tanks, pumps, and I'll pay $0.30L for the end product but you'll have to provide your own bail money, lawyer money and money for the fine.

Who is up to the task?

I'll bite, what law is being broken?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The latest book by Ezera Levant Ethical Oil says it all the oil producing nations are ganging up on Canada to protect their oil customers so they are scapegoating Canada's oil sands and there is a lot of stupid environmentalists that will fight for the cause without thinking about their actions

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'll bite, what law is being broken?

"Environmental protection" laws, fire codes, zoning, licensing, no insurance, road taxes, air quality testing, grade testing, no warranties on the shiny new equipment etc etc etc.

You have to follow the same guidelines for refining, transporting and storing any other fuel.

What's is GOOD about bio fuel? Nothing.

Ethanol is one of biggest tax payer funded scams ever passed as law.

Want to know the truth behind that lie too? Just ask.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
My biggest beef with bio fuel dealt with the possibility of impacting the cost of food products.

That said, there is one possible advantage that I could imagine in that another market develops for these organics.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Ethanol is one of biggest tax payer funded scams ever passed as law.

It's made companies like Archer Daniels Midland, and Cargill bucket loads of money, and it was passed off as an environmental plus. Folks in Louisiana can tell you how healthy the Mississippi is.

Canada is following suit..

Ethanol is a scam, for now.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Bio fuel is produced so price fluctuation can be volatile. Oil is just taken from the ground.

Bio fuel is taking away precious land to grow food.

Electricity is the best bet because it can be produced locally even individually.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's made companies like Archer Daniels Midland, and Cargill bucket loads of money, and it was passed off as an environmental plus. Folks in Louisiana can tell you how healthy the Mississippi is.

Canada is following suit..

Ethanol is a scam, for now.
For now and forever just like the whole reasoning behind it.

Bio fuel is produced so price fluctuation can be volatile. Oil is just taken from the ground.

Bio fuel is taking away precious land to grow food.

Electricity is the best bet because it can be produced locally even individually.
Where can I find a solar panel big enough to put on my 500HP tractor? How many Kw/h does it take to equal 500HP?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Where can I find a solar panel big enough to put on my 500HP tractor? How many Kw/h does it take to equal 500HP?

Electirc tractors (or semis or locomotives) are very possible... With our current battery technology, you can sacrifice a few acres of arable land for solar panels that will charge a trailer of batteries... Ya won't get much actual work done as the load capacity of towing a disker or swather will consume the battery capacity in an hour or so, but you will be going green.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Don't forget there is wind power
Windmills to crush seed like the Dutch to make my illegal bio-diesel?

How many turbines do I need to make 500HP and where do get a copper wire 5 miles long for under $2,000,000 to plug my tractor in?

Electirc tractors (or semis or locomotives) are very possible... With our current battery technology, you can sacrifice a few acres of arable land for solar panels that will charge a trailer of batteries... Ya won't get much actual work done as the load capacity of towing a disker or swather will consume the battery capacity in an hour or so, but you will be going green.
I'd need a plow to follow the tractor when plowing. How well does barley grow in compacted soil?

How many bushels do I need to heat my house all winter with a grain stove? How many bushels of food do I need to drive to Toronto? How many L of food do I need to paint my house?

I guess the 20,000 that starve to death daily are glad they can breath cleaner air as they lay on the dirt dieing?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Plowing the fields are the least of your problems, you still need to pull the crop off of the field and get it to market.

Unless you plant only a few acres, plan on a few months of being able to work a few hours each day in harvesting the crop... Assuming, of course, that you don't lose the crop to hail, frost, snow or rains.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Plowing the fields are the least of your problems, you still need to pull the crop off of the field and get it to market.
I'll fire up the ol grain truck and burn my illegal bio diesel and hope i don't get nailed for road taxes.

Speaking of road taxes, I wonder how many of these eco-nazi touring circuses pay the road taxes when they bus from coast to coast on used restaurant oil?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Unless you plant only a few acres, plan on a few months of being able to work a few hours each day in harvesting the crop... Assuming, of course, that you don't lose the crop to hail, frost, snow or rains.

I think we should go a step further and start processing human excrement for fuel. Might be a rather sh*tty job for those involved. :smile::smile:

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I think we should go a step further and start processing human excrement for fuel. Might be a rather sh*tty job for those involved. :smile::smile:

It will be a post apocalyptic world we will be living in if that happened, make a good SiFi story though. :lol:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Like Buffalo Chips for your camp fire, or in a pot-belly stove to heat your home?
I wonder what the carbon footprint of burning excrement would be?

"There were plenty of buffalo chips there [North Bluff Creek]. They are composed of
grass, masticated and digested, and dried in the sun. It is a common joke on the
Plains that a steak cooked on these chips requires no pepper. It is marvellous
the wonders time and circumstances work. Young ladies who in the
commencement of the journey would hardly look at a chip, were
now seen coming into the camp with as many as they could
carry. They burn fiercely and cook quite as well as wood."

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I wonder what the carbon footprint of burning excrement would be?

It's huge. There's a phenomenon in Asia, they call it the Asian brown cloud, or more generally it's a continental brown cloud. It's a mixture of soot, carbon dioxide and aerosols. It comes from burning cow dung, wood, and other biomass. It's more often referred to as black carbon. The global estimates run from about 30% to 55% of the strength of the carbon dioxide alone forcing on our climate.

It has five major impacts on the climate. It absrobs solar radiation in the atmosphere, and heats the air by convection. It also absorbs infrared radiation, the solar energy that is absorbed and emitted by our warm planet surface, just like a greenhouse gas. It decreases the reflectivity of snow and ice it lands on, absorbing more solar energy in the process. The small particles get into water droplets, by nucleation, or scavenging, and will heat the water droplets. Lastly, the warming of the lower atmosphere by this form of pollution can evaporate lower atmosphere clouds, which will allow more sunlight through, enhancing warming.

The poverty in Asia means that they can't afford cleaner fuels, and perversely the poorest often suffer most from the haze and smog alerts these clouds lead to.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's huge. There's a phenomenon in Asia, they call it the Asian brown cloud, or more generally it's a continental brown cloud. It's a mixture of soot, carbon dioxide and aerosols. It comes from burning cow dung, wood, and other biomass. It's more often referred to as black carbon. The global estimates run from about 30% to 55% of the strength of the carbon dioxide alone forcing on our climate.

It has five major impacts on the climate. It absrobs solar radiation in the atmosphere, and heats the air by convection. It also absorbs infrared radiation, the solar energy that is absorbed and emitted by our warm planet surface, just like a greenhouse gas. It decreases the reflectivity of snow and ice it lands on, absorbing more solar energy in the process. The small particles get into water droplets, by nucleation, or scavenging, and will heat the water droplets. Lastly, the warming of the lower atmosphere by this form of pollution can evaporate lower atmosphere clouds, which will allow more sunlight through, enhancing warming.

The poverty in Asia means that they can't afford cleaner fuels, and perversely the poorest often suffer most from the haze and smog alerts these clouds lead to.

It would mainly depend on how much you dry it out first.