Stop the seal hunt

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The seals eat nothing but fish. It is unfortunate that seals are such wasteful eaters. Seals just take one bite out of the belly of the fish and go find another. I can only assume that the wasted portion of the fish is eventually eaten by other fish, or other animals.

I'm an aspiring fisherman on the west coast. Last year I brought in two half salmon. A seal got thr rest. A little disappointing since those two fish were all I caught that day.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm a longtime fisherman in Ontario, Juan. In a derby, I'd have to spot you a few. Just to make it fair, you know.

To be completely fair, the derby would have to be half ocean and half fresh water.

There is fishing, and there is catching. I do a lot more of the former than the latter. The best thing about ocean fishing is the absence of mosquitoes.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
A lady I know is a vegetarian... sort of. She doesn't eat "cute" animals like lambs, pigs and cows but will eat chickens and fish. That's her choice and I respect that. I'm an omnivore. If its healthy for me and delicious, I'll eat it.

I used to hunt and trap. Ruffed grouse and barren land caribou are the best wild meats. I don't hunt or trap anymore, but I still fish. Instead of hunting and trapping, I take photographs.

I have participated in ringed seal hunts in Churchill Manitoba. Whether I participated in these hunts would not have affected whether or not the hunts would have taken place or how many seals were taken. I considered myself an observer. The purpose of the hunt was to feed sled dogs, so no meat was wasted. Skinned hides went to a woman in town who turned them into clothing. Yes some guts were left on the ice, but that was quickly cleaned up by foxes and seagulls. These seals were not killed for sport and we only took what we needed from an abundant source and within the limits of the law.

The easiest time to hunt seals in Churchill is in the spring, when seals haul up on the ice to bask in the sun. Seals are dispatched at a distance with a single shot to the head using a high powered rifle and scope. Wounding seals go down the hole and are unretrievable. The person I was with was an excellent marksman and wounded very few seals.

My observation was that hunting seals in this manner was as humane as any other form of harvesting wild animals.... or what goes on in slaughterhouses.

Regulating the harvesting of wild animals should be based on science, not how cute they are. Seals in Canada are not threatened with extinction, but many other species are.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/01/020109074801.htm

Its too bad that so many people busy themselves trying to solve a problem which doesn't exist, while so many other species which are less cute than seals disappear into oblivion without comment or drawing attention of interest groups.

Does this species deserve more attention than harp seals?
http://www.rom.on.ca/ontario/risk.php?doc_type=fact&lang=&id=101

The main causes of species extinction are habitat loss, introduced species, over exploitation, disease, pollution and limited distrubution. None of Canada's seal species are threatened with extinction. Some seal species may have benefited from man's elimination of predator species. Properly regulated, human hunting activity can actually help restore balance.

If you are really interested in the science behind conservation and doing something about the real threats to our biodiversity, then I suggest you take a moment and find out what species are at risk near where you live and volunteer to help these creatures:

http://raysweb.net/specialplaces/pages/canada-es.html

through local habitat restoration projects.

http://www.globalrestorationnetwork.org/volunteer

http://www.bgci.org/canada/plants_conservation/

http://ducks.ca/helpduc/volunteer/work.html

The biggest threat for most species at risk isn't hunting but development.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Good post Earth. The Harp seals don't have much in the way of predators, shark species are at risk much more so than the seals are. The predator-prey relationship is very important. Likely more devastating to the possible future of the seals is the stocks of capelin and herring, as cod stocks are virtually flat-lined.

Heres some population stats:
Age at sexual maturity: 5 years females, 6-8 years males
Pregnancy rates: 90%
Juvenile mortality: 20-30%

Canadian Seal population
Estimated population 1979: approximately 1 million
Estimated population 1994 (after the ban): 4.5 million
Estimated population 2005 (with managed fisheries): 5.9 million

Without reliable estimates for pre-fishing populations, it's hard to say what the natural carrying capacity was. It's logical to assume that number has dropped considerably from human pressures on the fish stocks.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
two great posts, thank you.

Ive never understoon why cod was such an endangered fish. the meat is boring and tasteless anyway. better off fishing for different species, or eating tofu or other meats instead.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Earth, a good response! It is important to distinguish between harvesting, to meet individual needs, and culls. And too it is important when viewing conservation as a necessary partner in human activity that we don't overstep our bounds and attempt to justify events such as the seal hunt as acceptable practice.
It's time to join the 21st century.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007

I don't know what to think.

the baby seals are so cute! :(

They are huggable, and that wine, and then the big bad men coming to club them.

Damn you humane society! I feel guilty and sucked in now... they are too cute to kill.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007

then that video makes me for the hunt

I am so conflicted between the cuteness of the seals + the manner they kill them in then the fact Newfoundlands economy depends on it...

Reactions: s243a

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary

then that video makes me for the hunt

I am so conflicted between the cuteness of the seals + the manner they kill them in then the fact Newfoundlands economy depends on it...

I take it you don't eat fluffy bunnies. :) It's wabit season.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
i think the main issue is the way the killing is done.

clubbing? come on were past that.

I cannot tolerate clubbing baby seals.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
Save the cute animals, like seals.

The ugly ones like cows and pigs, who cares, kill 'em, cook 'em and eat 'em. I don't feel bad if I kill an ugly animal, only the cute ones.

Of course, I am kidding, but that's how a lot of people seem to feel.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I am sorry, but I fit in that group

Dogs, cats, cute baby seals, keep them alive

Ugly cows and pigs I never think twice about...