Sponsorship Program - Will of the People paid for?

passpatoo

Electoral Member
Aug 29, 2004
Algoma
Re: RE: Sponsorship Program -

Reverend Blair said:
I don't think so at all. Gomery decided that his position was for playing politics with. Chretien responded by playing politics.

Chretien would have looked weak if he didn't respond to Gomery's comments in some fashion. The way he responded was humourous and made the point very clearly.

I disagree. Chetien's point really had nothing to do with the subject at hand, "What happened to the money?" He was responding to a personal attack. It got good press, and that may have been what he wanted (and in that you may be correct in that he didn't want to appear weak), but a bigger man would have sloughed it off, or responded outside of the forum.

passpatoo

Electoral Member
Aug 29, 2004
Algoma

Reverend Blair said:
I don't think so at all. Gomery decided that his position was for playing politics with. Chretien responded by playing politics.

Chretien would have looked weak if he didn't respond to Gomery's comments in some fashion. The way he responded was humourous and made the point very clearly.

I disagree. Chetien's point really had nothing to do with the subject at hand, "What happened to the money?" He was responding to a personal attack. It got good press, and that may have been what he wanted (and in that you may be correct in that he didn't want to appear weak), but a bigger man would have sloughed it off, or responded outside of the forum.

passpatoo

Electoral Member
Aug 29, 2004
Algoma

Reverend Blair said:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Sponsorship Program -

Chretien answered questions about what happened to the money all day though.

He also does not have a ready public forum to respond to Gomery's public attack on him anymore. Remember that Chretien was testifying as a private citizen...he's retired from politics.

It isn't his fault that the lawyers asking them never asked the right questions. They kept trying to trip him up on the Sponsorship Program instead of pushing to see if they could tie him to the missing money. The inquiry is supposed to be about what happened to the missing money, not an attack on Liberal political policy from a decade ago.

When Martin, who travels in the same circles as Gomery and Mulroney, took the stand yesterday, they asked him very similar questions. They weren't combative though, instead they framed the questions in such a way that they seemed like softballs.

Martin kept saying that he was out of the political loop in Quebec. Why the hell didn't somebody ask him why that was. I would have loved to see him stutter his way out of that one.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

He also does not have a ready public forum to respond to Gomery's public attack on him anymore. Remember that Chretien was testifying as a private citizen...he's retired from politics.

It isn't his fault that the lawyers asking them never asked the right questions. They kept trying to trip him up on the Sponsorship Program instead of pushing to see if they could tie him to the missing money. The inquiry is supposed to be about what happened to the missing money, not an attack on Liberal political policy from a decade ago.

When Martin, who travels in the same circles as Gomery and Mulroney, took the stand yesterday, they asked him very similar questions. They weren't combative though, instead they framed the questions in such a way that they seemed like softballs.

Martin kept saying that he was out of the political loop in Quebec. Why the hell didn't somebody ask him why that was. I would have loved to see him stutter his way out of that one.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Reverend Blair said:

...because the Sponsorship Inquiry is not about finding the truth...it's about appearing as though you tried your best to find the truth and failed...

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Reverend Blair said:

...because the Sponsorship Inquiry is not about finding the truth...it's about appearing as though you tried your best to find the truth and failed...

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Reverend Blair said:

passpatoo

Electoral Member
Aug 29, 2004
Algoma
I was working on the day that Chretien testified and couldn't watch. I only was able to see bits and pieces of Martin's testimony throughout the day that he testified. I've heard that same analysis that you mention Rev. "Martin was thrown puff balls" and I therefore won't dispute that.

As far as not having a ready public forum, come on, this is Chretien. Private citizen or not, he has but to ask, and I have no doubt a plethora of media types will be before him recording every word. Analysis of his every nuance and timeing will come later in the day on the National. Air Farce and This Hour will be spoofing his retort the next Friday evening. The man still commands alot of attention from this nation.

"The inquiry is supposed to be about what happened to the missing money, not an attack on Liberal political policy from a decade ago."

If Liberal political policy was at the root cause then I think that it's fair game.

passpatoo

Electoral Member
Aug 29, 2004
Algoma
I was working on the day that Chretien testified and couldn't watch. I only was able to see bits and pieces of Martin's testimony throughout the day that he testified. I've heard that same analysis that you mention Rev. "Martin was thrown puff balls" and I therefore won't dispute that.

As far as not having a ready public forum, come on, this is Chretien. Private citizen or not, he has but to ask, and I have no doubt a plethora of media types will be before him recording every word. Analysis of his every nuance and timeing will come later in the day on the National. Air Farce and This Hour will be spoofing his retort the next Friday evening. The man still commands alot of attention from this nation.

"The inquiry is supposed to be about what happened to the missing money, not an attack on Liberal political policy from a decade ago."

If Liberal political policy was at the root cause then I think that it's fair game.

passpatoo

Electoral Member
Aug 29, 2004
Algoma

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Voters not interested in scandal:

SAINT JOHN, N.B. (CP) - Canadians have lost their appetite for talking about the Liberal sponsorship scandal, Stephen Harper said Thursday as the Conservative leader's summertime tour of the barbecue circuit moved into Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

read it here

I am not surprised as Canadians seem to have short memories.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Yeah, no kidding, eh? Who cares about a few greased palms, slimey deals, and hundreds of million$ missing. Boring. Let's talk about Stephen Harper's creepy hair, instead. I guess people have gotten used to corruption and lies... we get the government we deserve.

Musicman

Electoral Member
Aug 7, 2005
Re: RE: Sponsorship Program - Will of the People paid for?

MMMike said:
Yeah, no kidding, eh? Who cares about a few greased palms, slimey deals, and hundreds of million$ missing. Boring. Let's talk about Stephen Harper's creepy hair, instead. I guess people have gotten used to corruption and lies... we get the government we deserve.

Yes, too bad isn't it. Somebody says someone is scarey, and everyone falls for it. Somebody says someone is a crook, and everyone ignores it. Seems like Canada likes crooks and thieves. Nixon should have been a Canadian. :lol:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I think Harper's comment just shows his and his party's inability to make any useful political gains out of the whole thing.

And now it seems that not only backbenchers, but the other parties, too would welcome a delay of more than the 30 days after Gomery releases his report.......