"Smart" Hydro meters

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Thunderstorms here are insane. If a switch is popped by lightning they aren't going to throw it until the storm blows over even if they 10 seconds away.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Thunderstorms here are insane. If a switch is popped by lightning they aren't going to throw it until the storm blows over even if they 10 seconds away.

They wont go anywhere near a line in an electrical storm.
Watching them denergize a line with those huge Knife switches is usually a pretty good light show too.
Sometimes it can arc 7 meters.
I learned a few things working with those guys and one is never lean on a power pole as there is a ground wire running down them.
Another is dont touch a guy wire,the buzzing sound you hear on power poles is from electricity leaking on the insulator and not continueing on through the wire and it has to go somewhere.

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
G'day all, it's been a while. I can't speak to all the types of smart meters out there but there are two types I'm familiar with. The first is connected to your phone's hard line and reports consumption etc when it is contacted either monthly or when someone is inquiring about the account. The second type are wireless but do not broadcast continuously. This type is usually placed in locations where access is difficult such as a customer who doesn't want you in their yard. These meters are read when a service worker drives or walks to within a certain distance and then using his handheld device sends a specific signal which activates the meter's broadcasting feature. the information is downloaded and then the meter goes back to "sleep".
As for assisting with outages the first type does assist to narrow down the outage areas which is useful in localized faults but when there's a widespread outage you still rely on customer reports and patrolling. Smart grid technology is off in the distant future and will enable the opening and closing of switches and breakers to isolate the fault. This uses the meter broadcast and fault detecting sensors on the lines. The technology exists but the cost of implementing it is presently fairly prohibitive unless you don't mind a hike in your rates.
These are fairly simplistic explanations and if you'd like to do more reading see;
Smart grid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Electronic energy meters’ false readings almost six times higher than actual energy consumption

Some electronic energy meters can give false readings that are up to 582% higher than actual energy consumption. This emerged from a study carried out by the University of Twente (UT), in collaboration with the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences (AUAS). Professor Frank Leferink of the UT estimates that potentially inaccurate meters have been installed in the meter cabinets of at least 750,000 Dutch households. The is published in the scientific journal IEEE Electromagnetic Compatibility Magazine.

In the Netherlands, traditional energy meters (kWh) — the familiar energy meter with a rotating disc — are being increasingly replaced by electronic variants (which are also known as ‘static energy meters’). One well-known variant of the latter is the ‘smart meter’. The Dutch government wants smart meters in every household by 2020.

For quite some time now, rumours have been rife about electronic energy meters that give excessively high readings in practice. This prompted Prof. Leferink to investigate electronic meters, to see whether they can indeed give false readings. Together with co-workers Cees Keyer and Anton Melentjev from AUAS, he tested nine different electronic meters in this study. The meters in question were manufactured between 2004 and 2014. The meters were connected, via an electric switchboard, to a range of power-consuming appliances, such as energy saving light bulbs, heaters, LED bulbs and dimmers. The researchers then compared the actual consumption of the system with the electronic energy meter’s readings.

The inaccurate readings are attributed to the energy meter’s design, together with the increasing use of modern (often energy-efficient) switching devices. Here, the electricity being consumed no longer has a perfect waveform, instead it acquires an erratic pattern. The designers of modern energy meters have not made sufficient allowance for switching devices of this kind.

When they dismantled the energy meters tested, the researchers found that the ones associated with excessively high readings contained a ‘Rogowski Coil’ while those associated with excessively low readings contained a ‘Hall Sensor’. Frank Leferink (Professor of Electromagnetic Compatibility at the UT) points out that “The energy meters we tested meet all the legal requirements and are certified. These requirements, however, have not made sufficient allowance for modern switching devices.”

Any consumers who do not trust their energy meter can have it tested by an ‘Accredited inspection company’. However, if this inspection shows that the meter is functioning properly, then the consumer will have to cover the costs involved. Yet the standardized test does not make allowance for waveform-contaminating power-consuming appliances. As a result, according to the researchers, it is an unsuitable method for detecting false meter readings. Prof. Leferink and Mr Keyer advise any consumers who doubt their meter readings to contact their supplier, who then will pass the complaint on to the power grid operator.

Electronic energy meters’ false readings almost six times higher than actual energy consumption | Science Bulletin

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
...and thunderstorm days, and changing the lightbulb in the Hydro office days. Line workers don't even work on them hot any more - and I'm supplied on a dead-end line.

"Smart" means you can't hang magnets or flip the meter to cheat Hydro ... and they can manipulate your readings from 300 miles south of here

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
...and thunderstorm days, and changing the lightbulb in the Hydro office days. Line workers don't even work on them hot any more - and I'm supplied on a dead-end line.

"Smart" means you can't hang magnets or flip the meter to cheat Hydro ... and they can manipulate your readings from 300 miles south of here

You're a prime candidate for getting off the grid and building up your own electrical service.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I was considering running a turbine down the chute from a beaver dam out back. The generator's the easy part. Water levels weren't really stable enough - then there's the aforementioned beavers to consider

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Wind power might be something to look into. Popular Mechanics has ran several articles about DIY wind power.

I feel that the solar industry is too high priced. They are taking advantage of the present situation in Onterrible and keeping prices up. It's the capitalist thing to do, but with some sleuthing, cheaper solar alternatives are available. Solar panels and batteries (Tesla maybe) seem to be a sensible way to go. Until too many people do it and the provincial government starts taxing people for being independent.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I know that there are northern communities that have their own private grid. I think the problem might be home insurance or related municipal services.

That's not to say the govt doesn't care. The municipalities make money by taxing you. There are probably tax issues as well in certain municipalities where houses are not connected to the grid.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I know that there are northern communities that have their own private grid. I think the problem might be home insurance or related municipal services.

That's not to say the govt doesn't care. The municipalities make money by taxing you. There are probably tax issues as well in certain municipalities where houses are not connected to the grid.
Back when Ontario Hydro was still solely owned by the people of Ontario, I could see the rationale to a degree. But with privatization on the way, forcing people to remain connected is nothing short of greed. If you generate 100% of your own power in Ontario, you're still going to get a hydro bill.