Should the government keep giving money to the First Peoples

Should the government keep giving money to the First Peoples?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
RE: Should the government keep giving money to the First Peo

Canada is not doing enough to help stop the deterioration of the Aboriginal way of life. We cannot just "negotiate" a new deal, settle and walk away. We have helped create serious problems in the native way of life, not least of which is the substance abuse. Alcoholism, glue sniffing etc must be seriously tackled for the sake of the future of the Native population. The government should be building proper housing for them- look at how they cant even have clean water on some of their reservations. We shove them onto reservations and take away their livelihood and then want them to shut up and die. And sadly, that is just what they are doing. They have a high suicide rate as well.

I agree with the idea that the land has to be shared, just as we share the land with new immigrants coming to Canada. But settling land claims is now only one part of our responsibility. We have to help rectify the results of our past abuses of the population.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: Should the government keep giving money to the First

Lineman said:
I believe in continuing in providing them with the "money" but not without accountability. There are some very good examples of bands who have properly managed their funds and provided all the necessities which is wha I surmise was the original intent. Unfortunately there are as many bad examples where corruption at the leadership level has left these bands in third world conditions. Money tempered with guidance, not direction, is the answer.

You beat me to my response. I voted now, UNDER THE PRESENT SYSTEM. Until there is accountabilty, then the present system will never work. For instance, there is a reserve in Alberta that was given money to develop wind power turbines on their reserve. The machinery was ordered, but by the time it was manufactured and delivered, this money had gone into general revenue, was spent, and there was no money to pay for the wind turbines. No one seems to want to look into this, simply because any questioning of these kinds of things is met with calls of racism, discrimiation etc.

Until there is accountability, and full accountability, then I am against the present system. This does not mean I am against what we spend, far from it. But if we assume that $6billion is spent on Indian Affairs, and there are approx. 500,000 status Indians, that works out to $12k per individual. Even cutting that in half for admin costs, that works out to $24k for a family of four, before any other income is earned. Somehow, I don't think this is much incentive for the Native people to obtain employment or schooling.

As for my opinions, they have been generated by living most of my 50 years next to two major Indian reservations in the province of Alberta, and having seen first hand the corruption and waste that takes place. Yet the money tap keeps on flowing with no checks and balances. That is the issue, get some accountability, and perhaps the whole situation will improve.

Having said that, the manner in which the reserve was treated in Ontario with the water problems is totally unacceptable. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the reserve, but it seems clear that the federal Liberals knew about the problem back in the nineties, at least, and did nothing. For that, I am ashamed of our government, not of our country. Hopefully, Harper does better, he could hardly do worse.

Laika

Electoral Member
Apr 22, 2005
Where The Wild Things Are
Re: Should the government keep giving money to the First Peo

Given that only about two per cent of First Nations have full self-government agreements, this section of the legislation has the effect of singling out almost all First Nation governments. Provincial and municipal governments that receive cash transfers from the government of Canada will not be subject to the same scrutiny from the Auditor General under the proposed legislation, and there is no justification given in any of the documentation presented by the Government of Canada as to why the majority of First Nation governments would be singled out for the application of this aspect of the legislation. If the government of Canada is truly committed to recognizing First Nations rights in accordance with Canada’s Constitution and maintaining the government-to-government relationships we have worked so hard to build, they will ensure this double standard is not included in the final version of the legislation.

http://www.afn.ca/article.asp?id=2520

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta

Laika said:
missile said:
The accountability issue is a sticking point with the natives..for some reason they don't want to sign off on that one. So,cut off all funds until they do so.

Accountability applies to all forms of government, not just Indian Bands and Tribal Councils. You think only native politicians can be crooked?

The myth of the noble savage is just that, a myth. Everyone, even native people, is susceptible to weakness of character and bad judgement.

I am all for better accountability in regards to First Nations governance, but I object to the notion that ethics and accountability ends where the boundaries of the Indian Reservations begin.

I agree, but this topic is specifically about Native funding. Thus the comments about First Nation accountability. Personally, I think there must be a lot more accountability in everything the feds fund, but the problem with this issue is the negative reactions it sometimes gets. Too bad, because I think a full and open discussion would solve many problems, Native and non-native when it comes to funding.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.

If the monies were going directly to the individual natives..perfect! But,if going to the Councils and the Chiefs..account for every penny has to be the Law. As stated,there is far too much corruption in the present system.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta

missile said:
If the monies were going directly to the individual natives..perfect! But,if going to the Councils and the Chiefs..account for every penny has to be the Law. As stated,there is far too much corruption in the present system.

Agreed. How is this for an answer? Give each reserve its share of the money on January 1 of each year and when its gone, its gone with no more coming. Then maybe the residents of the reserves would demand some accountability.