Should Canadian expats be allowed to vote in federal elections?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Which riding would someone vote in is the question? The one on their Birth Certificate or port of entry if an immigrant?

Don't know, but that's just a matter of making a clear determining rule and applying it.

I'm pretty sure expats can vote in UK elections.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Depends if your a landed or on visas.

There's always going to be qualifiers, I don't take issue with that as long as it's fair and reasonable.

I still think anyone who's considered enough of a resident that they're required to file and pay taxes in Canada, should be able to vote, provided they maintain citizenship of course.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Question: Do we base the right to vote on citizenship or residency? If on citizenship, then all citizens ought to have the right to vote. if on residency, then all residents ought to have the right to vote. Take your pick.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Question: Do we base the right to vote on citizenship or residency? If on citizenship, then all citizens ought to have the right to vote. if on residency, then all residents ought to have the right to vote. Take your pick.

We base it on citizenship and residency don't like that, then screw off.

No right to vote after 5 Yeats. IMO, it should be one year, not five.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don't see any issue with them voting. But which riding do they vote for? Perhaps they should be grouped in one riding and have their own MP. Can't see them having many common issues with somebody from their last place of residence.

On the other hand, if they are living abroad they are probably not paying taxes here. So why should they vote for a tax increase to cover the cost of getting their butts out of a jam the minute they get themselves in some sort of revolution or something which they expect the Canadian government to come bail them out.

Not a hot button issue for me either way. I expect they may vote NDP which is why Mulcair is interested in them.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Can someone explain to me why they feel prisoners should not have the right to vote?

Thanks.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Can someone explain to me why they feel prisoners should not have the right to vote?

Thanks.

because they have broken the law and therefore have lost their rights as a citizen until they have served out there time. Once that has been done, then they can have their rights returned as good citizens.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
because they have broken the law and therefore have lost their rights as a citizen until they have served out there time. Once that has been done, then they can have their rights returned as good citizens.
thanks

should they have any say in their own treatment or human rights issues while jailed

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
thanks

should they have any say in their own treatment or human rights issues while jailed

Loosing the right to vote does not equal losing your human rights. Children don't have the right to vote, but they have human rights and protection under the law.

and it has what to do with expat's right to vote?

Nothing but it was brought up as a talking point in several posts in the thread.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Nothing but it was brought up as a talking point in several posts in the thread.

Ya, by you. You're right, it has nothing to do with the topic at hand aside from a deflection.

Kind of like "Johnny's parents let HIM stay up till 10".

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
What happens to citizens of convenience? They were not born here but got citizenship on our loose residency rules and promptly moved back to where ever they came from, just using Canada as a LZ when their sorry bitts get in trouble or they need some free medical.