Should Canada promote friendlier relations with Russia?

Should Canada promote friendlier relations with Russia?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Other answer.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Supporting the mercenaries allowed the war to drag on. Fighting Assad head on or supporting him can be said to both be more moral since at least the war could end sooner and people could get on with their lives. Supporting mercenaries just feeds a never-ending process.
So, you're OK with the whole chem warfare on civilians thing.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
SUre it is. You are free to vote for who you are told to vote for. In reality Russia is nothing but a giant criminal organization that just over runs countries when it pleases.

As far as I can tell, it's a democracy. As for illegally invading countries, Russia is just as guilty of that as we are. Pot, meet kettle.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
You're kidding, right?

Or is this agreement with megahurts representative of your thoughts on the subject?
I'm going by my memory of the media coverage of the gas attacks at the time. It could be wrong though.

Either way though, one could argue on the morality of supporting a dictator for the sake of stability over taking our sweet time to overthrow him.

In other words, we owe it to the people to put an end to the war fast. Support him, topple him, but let's not drag our feet with mercenaries.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'm going by my memory of the media coverage of the gas attacks at the time. It could be wrong though.

Either way though, one could argue on the morality of supporting a dictator for the sake of stability over taking our sweet time to overthrow him.

In other words, we owe it to the people to put an end to the war fast. Support him, topple him, but let's not drag our feet with mercenaries.
OK, Britain, France, Israel, Germany, the U.S., the EU, and the Arab League laid the chemical attacks at Assad's doorstep.

Russia said the reports were biased and the conclusions invalid.

You be the judge.

Oh, sorry, Assad also denied it, and why would he lie?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
OK, Britain, France, Israel, Germany, the U.S., the EU, and the Arab League laid the chemical attacks at Assad's doorstep.

Russia said the reports were biased and the conclusions invalid.

You be the judge.

Oh, sorry, Assad also denied it, and why would he lie?

I'd be tempted to believe the first group. So why not just topple him then. Even if he is guilty, a years-long civil war is still more cruel than supporting him. Either destroy that government or defend it for the sake of stability for the oeoole, but let's not drag our feet on it with mercenaries.

Heck, I thought you'd go with the fact that George H.W. Bush was the Director of the CIA.

There's that too.But George Bush the CIA director was not George the president. He was wearing a different hat. Sure his life experience including as CIA director could have influenced his policy decisions as president, but there is no way of knowing how much.

The same applies to Putin of the KGB and President Putin.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'd be tempted to believe the first group. So why not just topple him then. Even if he is guilty, a years-long civil war is still more cruel than supporting him. Either destroy that government or defend it for the sake of stability for the oeoole, but let's not drag our feet on it with mercenaries.
Personally, I'm for staying out of it. Always was. We never did know the players well enough to make smart decisions, as we've recently proved.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Nope. The CIA is how bush Sr.& jr "won"

What I meant was that you can't assume that Bush Sr.'s ideological beliefs would necessarily have been based on his work at the CIA.

The same a pies to Putin and the KGB.

Personally, I'm for staying out of it. Always was. We never did know the players well enough to make smart decisions, as we've recently proved.

And if we chose to stay out of it, why not befriend Russia in trade agreements, etc. After all, we trade with China, don't we?