Should A Dead Person Be Allowed To Sue For The Right To Die?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
... the motions in the supreme court of british columbia in which my dead dad was named were brought by two lawyers named robert w. taylor and jordan j. kinghorn of the vancouver law firm taylor veinotte sullivan ...

... yes, the bc government does allow lawyers to name dead people in their petitions and it should not be allowed ...

I don't really want to know what you did to have your dad's lawyers sue you after his death but there must be some merit in the case for it to go forward.

This isn't about your issues with being sued by a dead person anyway, you probably deserve it. This case is about setting a precedent for all other cases like it after. It is far cheaper and more expedient to finish this case and set a standard than start from scratch on a new version of the same case.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Because not everyone in school is Christian. How's that for a start. Because we have laws about the separation of church & state. That's another good reason. You need anymore?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Because not everyone in school is Christian. How's that for a start. Because we have laws about the separation of church & state. That's another good reason. You need anymore?

I don't think either of those two fly. Perhaps you can link me to the laws dictating the separation of church and state? Doubt if you'll find one. :smile:

Because not everyone in school is Christian.

So you think the Christian kids should be denied the right or desire to recite the Lord's Prayer?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I don't think either of those two fly. Perhaps you can link me to the laws dictating the separation of church and state? Doubt if you'll find one. :smile:

So you think the Christian kids should be denied the right or desire to recite the Lord's Prayer?

They can say the prayer all they want at home or in church or even on the playground if they like. The school (ie state) just cannot sponsor it. How hard is that to understand. Maybe you're JW and believe all should be indoctrinated into your god's fold. Point is public school is paid for by tax dollars and is very multi-theological these days. Catering to one religion over all the others is not a good policy for avoiding lawsuits.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
They can say the prayer all they want at home or in church or even on the playground if they like. The school (ie state) just cannot sponsor it. How hard is that to understand. Maybe you're JW and believe all should be indoctrinated into your god's fold. Point is public school is paid for by tax dollars and is very multi-theological these days. Catering to one religion over all the others is not a good policy for avoiding lawsuits.

Wrong again Nick, I was confirmed in the Anglican Church about 55 years ago and to be honest I haven't been active for over 50 years. I don't see how the Lord's Prayer can offend anyone as it's not limited to Christianity, just being thankful for the food we have and forgiving our enemies. This country was mainly settled by Christians and I don't think their desires should be curtailed. We welcome all faiths here and don't try to curtail there desires and beliefs. While I personally have no problem with whatever anyone wants to believe I do have a problem with those who try to curtail other's beliefs. If Christianity is so abhorrent to immigrants, just remember no one forced them to come here.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

They can recite it all they want just like Muslim kids can pray all they want. School is for lernin' though.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Wrong again Nick, I was confirmed in the Anglican Church about 55 years ago and to be honest I haven't been active for over 50 years. I don't see how the Lord's Prayer can offend anyone as it's not limited to Christianity, just being thankful for the food we have and forgiving our enemies. This country was mainly settled by Christians and I don't think their desires should be curtailed. We welcome all faiths here and don't try to curtail there desires and beliefs. While I personally have no problem with whatever anyone wants to believe I do have a problem with those who try to curtail other's beliefs. If Christianity is so abhorrent to immigrants, just remember no one forced them to come here.

It is not about curtailing Christianity. It is about not having Christianity forced on those that are not Christian or just not interested. Nobody is saying you cannot believe in your god or your church's teachings. You just can't make everyone in a school pray to him/her/it. Once there is an official state sponsored religion you have a theocracy, not a democracy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It is not about curtailing Christianity. It is about not having Christianity forced on those that are not Christian or just not interested. Nobody is saying you cannot believe in your god or your church's teachings. You just can't make everyone in a school pray to him/her/it. Once there is an official state sponsored religion you have a theocracy, not a democracy.

In the 12 years I was in school I never once saw any child "forced" to recite the Lord's Prayer, but you know there's a smart way around this, recite the Lord's Prayer on Monday, the Sikh's Prayer on Tuesday, the Jew's Prayer on Wednesday and so on. It's impossible to separate God from State, for those who believe in God he is in every aspect of their lives and for those who don't it doesn't matter!

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
In the 12 years I was in school I never once saw any child "forced" to recite the Lord's Prayer, but you know there's a smart way around this, recite the Lord's Prayer on Monday, the Sikh's Prayer on Tuesday, the Jew's Prayer on Wednesday and so on. It's impossible to separate God from State, for those who believe in God he is in every aspect of their lives and for those who don't it doesn't matter!

The easier solution is not to say any prayers.....oh, wait.....somebody already thought of that....8O

You seem to be missing the point of state sponsored religion. It elevated one group of citizens to a higher standing in the government. We become a theocratic nation just like Iran and Saudi Arabia. What follows is laws based on religious teachings. And I'm not talking the 10 commandments I'm talking the Spanish Inquisition which was a direct result of theocratic government. Same thing with ancient Rome, they used the Christians as lion bait because the state sponsored a different religion.