Should A Dead Person Be Allowed To Sue For The Right To Die?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Why? Because religion is not something that should be imposed by the government, that's why.

I suppose, if reciting the Lord's Prayer in school is having religion imposed upon us! Actually I think it just taught to be thankful for what we have. Kids today lack that.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I suppose, if reciting the Lord's Prayer in school is having religion imposed upon us! Actually I think it just taught to be thankful for what we have. Kids today lack that.

Are you saying that the lords prayer is not religious? Or are you saying that being required to do something by government is not imposing it upon them?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Are you saying that the lords prayer is not religious? Or are you saying that being required to do something by government is not imposing it upon them?

What's your I.Q. anyway? Of course the Lord's Prayer is religious! Imposed? Hardly, no one made us recite it, it was 15 seconds in the day when you could think about whatever you wanted to. It's just one of those things that never did anyone real harm but possibly did benefit a few people. It's just not worth making a huge issue out of, any more than singing "O'Canada" at the beginning hockey game.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It's not just reciting prayer, the point is that the bible use to have a place of honor in our society, and once that changed we started a downward spiral.

Actually God is the problem for the anti-God crowd friend. He's the one that defined marriage, and I'm pretty sure the Lord's been around a lot longer than myself. So if you have a problem with "progress" being "held back", then your beef is with your Creator.

Whenever you would like to have a serious discussion I'll be waiting. (And I would personally love it, but you seem to be more interested in cracks and insults.)

My parents created me. Your god is a myth, as are all the ones of other religions. Go talk to a science teacher sometime and he/she will explain the facts of life to you.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Of course the Lord's Prayer is religious! Imposed? Hardly, no one made us recite it, it was 15 seconds in the day when you could think about whatever you wanted to. It's just one of those things that never did anyone real harm but possibly did benefit a few people. It's just not worth making a huge issue out of, any more than singing "O'Canada" at the beginning hockey game.

I'm not that old, and I remember starting every school day with The Lord's Prayer, and O'Canada,
and God Save The Queen.....and they all where dropped shortly after they changed the lyrics to
O'Canada about 1976 or 1977 or so.....but that's a different topic I guess.

Euthanasia. That is a touchy subject, with much fear of abuse by many assuming that someone
else will make their choice for them....be it a Doctor or a Politician...and not the terminal Patient.

We're part way there, with DNR orders and such as long as they're respected. Personally, I'm
for someone having the choice to decide for themselves when the time comes.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Euthanasia. That is a touchy subject, with much fear of abuse by many assuming that someone
else will make their choice for them....be it a Doctor or a Politician...and not the terminal Patient.

We're part way there, with DNR orders and such as long as they're respected. Personally, I'm
for someone having the choice to decide for themselves when the time comes.

It is a touchy subject for sure, but the 'fears' that people have regarding them are the very reason it needs to be discussed. This is less about having the right to decide to die, it's more about having some say in how much suffering we have to endure in order to ease someone elses 'fears'.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
To answer the OP.... yes, her lawsuit should be allowed to continue. To not allow it to, would be the true perversion of justice.

I haven't landed firmly on one side of the assisted suicide debate yet. There are huge questions to consider surrounding it. But one thing I do know is that the patients who are trying to push this in court, are dying. They have a statement to make surrounding that fact, they have a legal challenge for the government surrounding that fact. And it would be ridiculously easy of the government to dodge that question by simply dragging its feet. It's a uniquely time limited legal issue, and I don't think it would be fair to the the challengers involved, to be silenced by time.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
To answer the OP.... yes, her lawsuit should be allowed to continue. To not allow it to, would be the true perversion of justice.

I haven't landed firmly on one side of the assisted suicide debate yet. There are huge questions to consider surrounding it. But one thing I do know is that the patients who are trying to push this in court, are dying. They have a statement to make surrounding that fact, they have a legal challenge for the government surrounding that fact. And it would be ridiculously easy of the government to dodge that question by simply dragging its feet. It's a uniquely time limited legal issue, and I don't think it would be fair to the the challengers involved, to be silenced by time.

I think it's one of those things that has to be judged individually on its own merits. 90 years old all organs failing........definitely, 60 years old with a treatable disease and a few mental issues mixed in ....................definitely NOT.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think it's one of those things that has to be judged individually on its own merits. 90 years old all organs failing........definitely, 60 years old with a treatable disease and a few mental issues mixed in ....................definitely NOT.

Any proposed laws surrounding assisted suicide that I have seen would preclude anyone with untreated depression or mental problems from choosing it.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
She is paralyzed from the neck down, tethered to breathing and feeding tubes — but Manhattan bank manager Grace Sung Eun Lee still managed to mouth four words Wednesday.

“I want to die.”

Doctors are trying to honor Lee’s wish, but her devout parents believe that removing the tubes is suicide — a sin that would condemn the 28-year-old to hell.

They’ve gone to court to keep the terminally ill brain-cancer patient on life support, turning a heartbreaking family tragedy into a right-to-die legal battle

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-yor...lly-ill-patient-fight-death-article-1.1174383

wizard

Time Out
Nov 18, 2011
My grandmother got a voting card for my grandfather in the 1997 election. Thing is he died in 1993. She corrected them though.
... thanks for the comment ...

... i've been sued twice in the same courthouse where this right-to-die petition is being heard by my dad -- AFTER HE DIED!!! this corrupt courhouse is the last place you want any important legislative decisions to be made ...

... how about someone petitioning the crown for the right to allow phony lawsuits with dead petitioners to die!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
... thanks for the comment ...

... i've been sued twice in the same courthouse where this right-to-die petition is being heard by my dad -- AFTER HE DIED!!! this corrupt courhouse is the last place you want any important legislative decisions to be made ...

... how about someone petitioning the crown for the right to allow phony lawsuits with dead petitioners to die!

I wouldn't brag about being sued by your father's estate, it certainly makes you look bad.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
What about a 'living will' which lays out your final wishes if you are incapacitated........

wizard

Time Out
Nov 18, 2011
I wouldn't brag about being sued by your father's estate, it certainly makes you look bad.
... nope, in at least two instances the petitioner named in the motions against me that were heard and endorsed by the supreme court of british columbia was my deceased dad, not his estate ...

... the judge in the matter was a corrupt old buffoon by the name of justice grant d. burnyeat ...

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
... nope, in at least two instances the petitioner named in the motions against me that were heard and endorsed by the supreme court of british columbia was my deceased dad, not his estate ...

... the judge in the matter was a corrupt old buffoon by the name of justice grant d. burnyeat ...

I read all about it. You should not be proud of stealing from your father and going to court after you killed him with the stress. Certainly not becoming of someone who wants to be treated like an adult. Don't worry, I know all about the legal niceties, and it makes you look like, at best, a creep, at worst, a thief. Pick your choice, which do you want to be know as?

wizard

Time Out
Nov 18, 2011
... the motions in the supreme court of british columbia in which my dead dad was named were brought by two lawyers named robert w. taylor and jordan j. kinghorn of the vancouver law firm taylor veinotte sullivan ...

... yes, the bc government does allow lawyers to name dead people in their petitions and it should not be allowed ...