Seniors don't want to give up money for younger gen: poll

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It is not just seniors, no one (or at least very few) is willing to either give up the freebies or pay higher taxes. In reality we probably need do neither one, rather just cut the incredible amount of waste generated by governments. Now of course the government union leaders will not like this because it will make a serious dent in their dues collection as well as take high paying jobs away from people whose only real qualification is that they are content to do as little as possible and still bitch about how hard done by they are. In the real world most of them would be lucky to get a job as greeter at wallywirld. This goes for all levels of government, not just the feds. Next we need to take a hard look at government regulations that stifle job creation. Governments do need to provide a regulatory framework but most often their idea of helping business is anything but. All at huge expense.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It is not just seniors, no one (or at least very few) is willing to either give up the freebies or pay higher taxes. In reality we probably need do neither one, rather just cut the incredible amount of waste generated by governments.

No. Transfers and debt servicing account for 70% of federal expenditures. It is a myth that our financial problems can be solved by eliminating waste. The population is aging and interest rates will inevitably rise.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No. Transfers and debt servicing account for 70% of federal expenditures. It is a myth that our financial problems can be solved by eliminating waste. The population is aging and interest rates will inevitably rise.

That is a misnomer!

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
SENIOR CITIZEN JOKE

A little silver-haired lady calls her neighbor and says, "Please come
over here and help me. I have a killer jigsaw puzzle, and I can't
figure out how to get started."

Her neighbor asks, "What is it supposed to be when it's finished?"

The little silver haired lady says, "According to the picture on the
box, it's a rooster."

Her neighbor decides to go over and help with the puzzle.

She lets him in and shows him where she has the puzzle spread all over
the table.

He studies the pieces for a moment, then looks at the box, then turns
to her and says,
"First of all, no matter what we do, we're not going to be able to
assemble these pieces into anything resembling a rooster."

He takes her hand and says, "Secondly, I want you to relax. Let's have
a nice cup of tea, and then," he said with a deep sigh ............

(scroll down)

"Let's put all the Corn Flakes back in the box."

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
what it boils down to as to why there is no money, and why there will be a major problem with paying for what we have and need is the fact that the baby boomers didn't have enough children, and the baby boomers kids didn't have enough children.

We have a major problem in the trades coming up as there are not enough apprentices coming in to replace the tradesmen retiring. There are not enough people paying taxes to pay for the extra burden that the baby boomers are going to be putting on the system when they basically stop paying taxes.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That's why we're investing CPP in oil.

Doesn't understand why?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
what it boils down to as to why there is no money, and why there will be a major problem with paying for what we have and need is the fact that the baby boomers didn't have enough children, and the baby boomers kids didn't have enough children.

We have a major problem in the trades coming up as there are not enough apprentices coming in to replace the tradesmen retiring. There are not enough people paying taxes to pay for the extra burden that the baby boomers are going to be putting on the system when they basically stop paying taxes.

I think you are onto something there, Ger! :smile:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I think you are onto something there, Ger! :smile:

Really? Ya think so?

The problem is, one needs at least half a brain to figure it out. That pretty much leaves out quite a few gen X's and Y's.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Really? Ya think so?

The problem is, one needs at least half a brain to figure it out. That pretty much leaves out quite a few gen X's and Y's.

Yeah, if the guy that was doing the most whining, had half a dozen kids he'd be contributing to solving the problem instead of helping to make it worse! :smile:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, if the guy that was doing the most whining, had half a dozen kids he'd be contributing to solving the problem instead of helping to make it worse!

I'm for more immigration and balanced budgets. That would solve the problem more effectively than just having more kids. The world doesn't really need more people. The simplistic views of your generation are a big part of the reason the current predicament exists.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'm for more immigration and balanced budgets. That would solve the problem more effectively than just having more kids. The world doesn't really need more people. The simplistic views of your generation are a big part of the reason the current predicament exists.

That would solve the problem eh..... strange.... this whole thread all you have done is whine and bitch about how ALL the problems have been caused by the BB's with no suggestion at all that there was a solution to the problem. Guess what brainiac, your solution is at least 20 years too late. You and your generation should have been looking at major increases in immigration a long time ago since there haven't been enough children born to replace the boomer generation.

I have a novel idea, how about working together to solve the problem rather than whining and bitching and laying blame all over the place besides your own doorstep.

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
That would solve the problem eh..... strange.... this whole thread all you have done is whine and bitch about how ALL the problems have been caused by the BB's with no suggestion at all that there was a solution to the problem. Guess what brainiac, your solution is at least 20 years too late. You and your generation should have been looking at major increases in immigration a long time ago since there haven't been enough children born to replace the boomer generation.

I have a novel idea, how about working together to solve the problem rather than whining and bitching and laying blame all over the place besides your own doorstep.

OOOOH, that's gonna leave a mark! Right on!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
OOOOH, that's gonna leave a mark! Right on!

On the genitals.

We have many well educated immigrants who can with help be offered training in all the trades we are sort. Medical side - Doctors to Lab types. Engineers and so on. They are here to get ahead and a good start for their families. They are motivated.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
On the genitals.

We have many well educated immigrants who can with help be offered training in all the trades we are sort. Medical side - Doctors to Lab types. Engineers and so on. They are here to get ahead and a good start for their families. They are motivated.

Not enough Goob. Within the next 15 years, we will be short in EVERY trade. Plumbing, HVAC, Carpentry, Mechanics, Electrical.... you name it, we are coming up short in the trades. You people complain about how much it costs and how hard it is to get a plumber out to your house now....just wait.

The short sightedness of the BB's AND the generation following is THE reason we are in the predicament we are in. Cannucks generation is as much at fault as the BB's. None of our generations have bothered looking at the long term. It's been short term, or it's been "all about me", rather than "us".

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
...all you have done is whine and bitch about how ALL the problems have been caused by the BB's with no suggestion at all that there was a solution to the problem.

Maybe you should try reading the entire thread before you make such idiotic statements.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Not enough Goob. Within the next 15 years, we will be short in EVERY trade. Plumbing, HVAC, Carpentry, Mechanics, Electrical.... you name it, we are coming up short in the trades. You people complain about how much it costs and how hard it is to get a plumber out to your house now....just wait.

The short sightedness of the BB's AND the generation following is THE reason we are in the predicament we are in. Cannucks generation is as much at fault as the BB's. None of our generations have bothered looking at the long term. It's been short term, or it's been "all about me", rather than "us".

The longer we wait the worse it will become. Yes we are behind. The Feds were aware of this in the early
90's. Time to get moving I would say. And that is a Fed /Prov / Business role.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The longer we wait the worse it will become. Yes we are behind. The Feds were aware of this in the early
90's. Time to get moving I would say. And that is a Fed /Prov / Business role.

That would be about the same time I started stating that we needed to either start having a hell of alot more kids or open up the doors, wide open, to immigration. We needed to take the astigmatism away from the trades and start funneling kids into them. Of course, we continued to tell kids they had to go to university and only the dummy's go into the trades.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That would be about the same time I started stating that we needed to either start having a hell of alot more kids or open up the doors, wide open, to immigration. We needed to take the astigmatism away from the trades and start funneling kids into them. Of course, we continued to tell kids they had to go to university and only the dummy's go into the trades

You got that right (I'm not sure about "astigmatism") :smile: but in my line of work we found if you want some useful information go to the technician, NOT the engineer. Some "book knowledge" is necessary but useless without the "hands on" knowledge gotten through experience.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
You got that right (I'm not sure about "astigmatism") :smile: but in my line of work we found if you want some useful information go to the technician, NOT the engineer. Some "book knowledge" is necessary but useless without the "hands on" knowledge gotten through experience.

friggin auto correct.... should be stigmatism.