See ya Dubya

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
''Truman's rating was pretty bad at the time he left office!!!!!!!!!!!! ''

His were 34 % which is considerably higher than Bush. At that time the McCarthy bandwagon was in full swing with accusations of Truman being a commie pouring in by the ton full every single day from McCarthy, his pals in the right wing media, and from Republicans. In those days, the commies were even more hated than al-Qaeda is today.

Overall, the Truman years were very successful. If it hadn't been for the hate campaign of the far right, and the gullibility of a frightened and ignorant public, the approval rating for HST would have been much higher.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
On this I.P. I think we have to agree to disagree slightly. Katrina was more "cut and dried" than Afghanistan and Iraq, any decision there to do something constructive would have been better than what he didn't do. As for war, sometimes, sadly, they are necessary and after 9/11 Bush had to do something to show both people at home and the agressors that he wasn't going to be "walked on". As far as Iraq is concerned, in the long run I think Iraq will be better off because Bush got rid of Saddam, how much better only time will tell.

As horrendous as Saddam was, at least there was some sort of peace in Iraq. The Bushheads have made the country exponentially worse and has made alot of Americans wealthy on the backs of Iraqi's

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
yeah, I kind of think that would have been his best move, he could have still gone after Saddam when he was done in Afghanistan.

...and people woulf have viewed him as the idiot he is if that was his goal. There was no reason to invade and occupy Iraq. None

If you think there was, you definitely need to read up ALOT on geopolitics

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
If I live long enough, it'll be interesting to look back on this time from the
perspective of 50yrs in the future. This is a weird time that we're in....but
we're in it and perhaps we're in the "can't see the forest for the tree's" sort
of thing. Every time in history is a weird time to be in though...

As mentioned above by someone, history will judge G.W.Bush and many
of us might be truly shocked by the opinions of those in the future who
aren't "in the trees" as to the roll played by G.W.B. when they can look at
the whole picture dispassionately.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"If you think there was, you definitely need to read up ALOT on geopolitics "- I don't need to read anything to know what savage bastard Saddam was killing 30,000 of his own people every year for 30 years. As for being "lonely", Tyr, that's all in how you take it, I don't necessarily subscribe to the philosophy or the agenda of any of these political bastards and there is NOT ONE in the entire world that I would classify as my hero- as I've said before they are basically all tarred with the same brush, as far as Bush is concerned he's not really much better or worse than any of the rest of them.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
That's quite the claim about Hussein. 30,000 people a year.

The US government only blamed Hussein for 275 deaths from 2000 until their March 2003 invasion, with no deaths atributed to Hussein from 2002 onward.

They do blame Hussein for killing children from disease and malnutrition resulting from economic sanctions imposed on Iraq as a result of Hussein's refusal to give up his WMD arsenal.

Life Under Saddam Hussein: Past Repression and Atrocities by Saddam Hussein's Regime

BTW has the US or anyone else ever found evidence supporting the economic embargo which killed half a million Iraqi children?

Lesley Stahl on U.S. sanctions against Iraq: We have heard that a half million children have died. I mean, that's more children than died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the price worth it?

Secretary of State Madeleine Albright: I think this is a very hard choice, but the price--we think the price is worth it.

--60 Minutes (5/12/96)

"We Think the Price Is Worth It"

Amazing after all this time some people still haven't figured out they were deceived by Bush.

Bush is a war criminal who is responaible for at least as many Iraqi deaths as Hussein. As a result of his unprovoked Iraqi war crime, he's responsible for more American deaths than al Qaeda.

Other Bush accomplishments include unsigning the US from several international treaties like Kyoto protocol, legalizing torture, institutionized spying on Americans, the right for authorities to detain people indefinitely without being charged with a crime and lets not forget the global economic crisis and his failure to come to the rescue of people who were hit by Hurricane Katrina.

Bush apologists shouldn't be so modest. Bush is by far the worst US President ever.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

The US government only blamed Hussein for 275 deaths from 2000 until their March 2003 invasion, with no deaths atributed to Hussein from 2002 onward.

They do blame Hussein for killing children from disease and malnutrition resulting from economic sanctions imposed on Iraq as a result of Hussein's refusal to give up his WMD arsenal.

Life Under Saddam Hussein: Past Repression and Atrocities by Saddam Hussein's Regime

BTW has the US or anyone else ever found evidence supporting the economic embargo which killed half a million Iraqi children?

Amazing after all this time some people still haven't figured out they were deceived by Bush.

Bush is a war criminal who is responaible for at least as many Iraqi deaths as Hussein. As a result of his unprovoked Iraqi war crime, he's responsible for more American deaths than al Qaeda.

Other Bush accomplishments include unsigning the US from several international treaties like Kyoto protocol, legalizing torture, institutionized spying on Americans, the right for authorities to detain people indefinitely without being charged with a crime and lets not forget the global economic crisis and his failure to come to the rescue of people who were hit by Hurricane Katrina.

Bush apologists shouldn't be so modest. Bush is by far the worst US President ever.

Well you do the math, the lowest est. I've seen is a million and some as high as two million.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
The trick is to do the "right amount" of bad mouthing, when some guy is continusously being harped on for nebulous and neurotic reasons, it starts to detract from the credibility.

Yah, well..............what does nebulous mean :idea:

When some guy is "continusously" being harped on it usually means someone else can't spell..........or is that nebulous?

There must be a helluvalota people with their credibility detracted...er..from........or is that neurotic?

I'm just one sick ****, I cnat hlep ti.

:cool:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yah, well..............what does nebulous mean :idea:

When some guy is "continusously" being harped on it usually means someone else can't spell..........or is that nebulous?

There must be a helluvalota people with their credibility detracted...er..from........or is that neurotic?

I'm just one sick ****, I cnat hlep ti.

:cool:

It's probably a little too abstract for someone of your intellect to understand.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

They do blame Hussein for killing children from disease and malnutrition resulting from economic sanctions imposed on Iraq as a result of Hussein's refusal to give up his "WMD arsenal."

Considering the source (CIA), it's actually pretty accurate. Putting those numbers up against the slaughter currently going on and had been going one since the US invaded, the death toll under Saddam is pretty insignificant.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Truman didn't leave the country in the mess Bush left it in

Yeah, you are definitely not alone with that mentality, only an idiot would believe that Bush is any more guilty than the guys who underwrote the subprime mortgages for instance or the company executives that took obscene performance bonuses for non performance.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Yeah, you are definitely not alone with that mentality, only an idiot would believe that Bush is any more guilty than the guys who underwrote the subprime mortgages for instance or the company executives that took obscene performance bonuses for non performance.

We're discussing Presidents and it was under the Bush watch that the country "tanked"

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
We're discussing Presidents and it was under the Bush watch that the country "tanked"

We're discussing Presidents and it was under the Bush watch that the country "tanked" due to
legislation put in place under who's watch? Who put in place and lit the fuse on the financial
time bomb this subprime mortgage concept turned out to be? Which President was that again?