School teachers continue to receive full pay

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm starting to think teachers should be spanked....

Probably- of all the professions, communication is probably as important if not more important than in any other profession and yet it seems teachers don't want to communicate with anyone but the students and even them on a limited basis.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Probably- of all the professions, communication is probably as important if not more important than in any other profession and yet it seems teachers don't want to communicate with anyone but the students and even them on a limited basis.
More specifically, I'd have to say it's the teachers who see the profession as job rather than calling.

Many moons ago, I attended one of those old schools with Grades 1-4 in one classroom and Grades 5-8 in the other. Needless to say, Ol' Gert had her hands full teaching at four grade levels. She made the effort (and the knuckles sometimes) to be sure we could all spell at near doctorate level and could research for answers that weren't in the school textbooks. Somehow, she still found time to tutor T & J in reading enough to get by, enough arithmetic to get a fair price for their firewood and how to write their own names.

Pity there are no Gerts any more....

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Any idea what the comparable metrics would be though? Were literacy rates higher when Gert was teaching, the same as they are now, lower? How about math skills?

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Check the web site again Einstein, the consumer price index in that calculator takes everything into account when you buy an article , tax duty etc.

I'll take that as conceding:smile:
and may i suggest you take some remedial reading and use a spell check....real easy with a google toolbar but maybe too hard for a genius.

You don't even know what I'm talking about.
I think you just want to argue for the sense of arguing.
I'm not interested, go pester someone other then me.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Any idea what the comparable metrics would be though? Were literacy rates higher when Gert was teaching, the same as they are now, lower? How about math skills?
When I went back to school in 1996, I was appalled with the spelling among Grade 12 graduates and that very few of my class could add up a stack of four figures in their heads. I'm guessing the learning was much higher when applied education could be applied to the seat of the pants and was reinforced at home. Mind you, drop-out rates were higher too....

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First of all I am past the teacher parent thing, I only hear about the what is happening with
the grand children. When I had children in school, I only had trouble with a teacher once
or twice in all my years. Forget about price indexes and forget about what the government
is doing or not doing. What is happening here is a labour dispute and unfortunately to some
degree both sides have chosen to fight each other in the media, thus damaging their
collective image at the expense of everything else.
The Union is not doing some of these other things they would normally do and the government
is swinging back, but both sides are up for this. In a dispute of this kind, both want to Currie
favour with the public. It is all part of the dance, the drama, the vetting of each others argument.
Government doesn't care about the the non curricular stuff, that was already taken care of when
it was decided that grade twelve student report card marks were to be kept track of, or did some
miss that little point?
I have watched this for a while now, and the main objective here is to put up a battle for position,
and eventually the public will want something done. Solution? The union will eventually tone it
down, and the Government will bow to the perception of public pressure and for the public good,
and come up with some money and shave a couple of students off the class size over the next
four years of course.
Government must take a firm stand next spring or fall could be an election year for an increasingly
unpopular government. The more howling the better for both sides, they will meet and have lunch
and find excuses for their new found positions, both sides will claim victory or there is a mutual
agreement in tough time etc, etc etc. This is no different that any other labour conflict, what is sad
is the kids get a front row seat to learn how insincerity and hypocrisy really works. Instead of
taking sides we should be shaming both sides into accepting responsibility for this mess.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Is there some reason why we should expect teachers to see the profession as a calling, as opposed to a job?

It isn't up to any "we" to expect anything of anybody. It's about the amount of heart anyone is going to put into their work that makes the difference between a calling and just another job.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
It isn't up to any "we" to expect anything of anybody. It's about the amount of heart anyone is going to put into their work that makes the difference between a calling and just another job.

Is there some reason that we should expect anyone to consider their work a calling instead of a job?

Or is this just more of the silliness where we expect employees to go above and beyond what they are paid to do, simply because that way we get more out of them?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
There you go with your "expectations" thing again. I guess one would have to have some heart to know the difference.

Ol' Gert was a person with her heart in the job. She took it as a personal failure if one of her students needed to be held back - and made it a goal to see them pass the next year.

How many kids are held back now? Kids are coming out of schools who can't properly read, write or cypher. Teachers work to rule and seldom venture beyond. If there's fault in that, can you "expect" to put a finger on the problem?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
There you go with your "expectations" thing again. I guess one would have to have some heart to know the difference.

Ol' Gert was a person with her heart in the job. She took it as a personal failure if one of her students needed to be held back - and made it a goal to see them pass the next year.

How many kids are held back now? Kids are coming out of schools who can't properly read, write or cypher. Teachers work to rule and seldom venture beyond. If there's fault in that, can you "expect" to put a finger on the problem?

You seem to be saying that you think (or expect) that teachers go above and beyond. Why do you feel this way?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I seem to be saying a teacher who cares about the kids he/she teaches goes that extra mile. I haven't a clue where you're interpreting expectation into it. Maybe it's just a you thing....

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I seem to be saying a teacher who cares about the kids he/she teaches goes that extra mile. I haven't a clue where you're interpreting expectation into it. Maybe it's just a you thing....

So, why are people (perhaps not you) criticising teachers for NOT doing so?
And some are claiming that this is an implied part of their contract.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
So, why are people (perhaps not you) criticising teachers for NOT doing so?
And some are claiming that this is an implied part of their contract.

It's not in any job description. It's something else that's gone by the wayside - like "old world craftsmanship" or making sure you've done the best that can be done on any job. Funny how people will accept standardized and one-size-fits-all in the goods they'll produce/purchase - but they'll expect perfection for themselves.