School teachers continue to receive full pay

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Who's earning $50/hr in the private sector?

Car industry?
Some construction workers getting close to 50$/houre, but thats if you include the whole package.
Pention/benefits+pay and vacation bonus

All i'm saying is keeping our middle class healthy is to everyone's advatage. We should support good paying jobs at every level.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Some in car industry?
Not the last time I asked. $30 was the usual limit.
Some construction workers geting close to 50$/houre, but thats if you include the whole package.
Pention/benefits+pay and vacation bonus
All union...

Then you have guys like me, that work for themselves, who thanks to pro union local gov'ts, and ignorant union strongarming. Can't get in on plum contracts.

Unions have long out lived their usefulness.

The only industry left that needs a union, is the fast food industry.

The rest should be abolished.

All i'm saying is keeping our middle class healthy is to everyone's advatage.
Of course, because we carry the bulk of the tax load.

We should support good paying jobs at every level.
We should support a fair market.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
According to the bank of canada inflation calculator The base rate on the job I started on was $2 /hour. When I retired in 2000 it should have been $12.02 /hour.....It was in effect $17 / hour slightly better don't you think.?
Needless to say That I wasn't still on that job after 38 years.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Not the last time I asked. $30 was the usual limit.
All union....

Thats just what they make. beffor tax. add 6-8$ for there pention/houre. then add more for benefits like dental+ vacation pay 10%.
It adds up to arround a 48-58$ package per houre.

Then you have guys like me, that work for themselves, who thanks to pro union local gov'ts, and ignorant union strongarming. Can't get in on plum contracts.

Unions have long out lived their usefulness.

The only industry left that needs a union, is the fast food industry.

The rest should be abolished.

Of course, because we carry the bulk of the tax load.

We should support a fair market.

All you need is to become signatory. you'll get in on the big ICI projects.

I know lots of small construction contractors In Heavy and ICI that are just renting

us out for 60$/houre to big companies making 15$/houre just for covering liability/payroll/etc...

Sounds to me like your missing out.

There are bad parts to Unions, but your whole idea sounds like one big step backwards. I don't agree with you at all.

What we need is to move forwards. change is needed, but not what you are talking about.

Just my 2 Cent.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Unions do serve a purpose and even today have their place. Unfortunately the union leaders tend to be the worst example of what should be. To a certain extent they even help us non union workers that are any good because we just say " the union guys are getting this much money for their quality and quantity of work so you have to pay me more than that or I go get a retirement job until pension time. Any smart employer will cough up. The not so good OTH tend to also get paid what they are worth.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
My sister Inlaw is a school teacher in BC. She works with underprivileged kids in a pretty rough part of the interior.. Some of those kids don't get a lot to eat at home and their parents aren't exactly model citizens. Some are crack heads, meth heads, or just unequipped to raise children.

This year she raised about $700.00 toward an annual camp weekend they do every year. The garage sale she held was on her own time and out of pocket. My brother Inlaw volunteered this year to teach the kids how to tie flies and tie different kinds of knots. He does this every year and his pal usually helps out.

When I stayed with them out in BC I spent a few hours with her looking over assignments handed in by her students almost every night and it opened my eyes a bit. I like anybody else like to riff on the teachers when a strike comes up, but teachers do a lot of stuff for our kids and that often gets muddied by politics. We bitch about paying them a high wage, but it is not a cake walk.

For what its worth.

Absolutely- there are people as you describe in all walks of life and it's not fair to just pick on one profession............it's just at this time the teacher's union is being ridiculous, next month it might be the plumbers. :smile:

Who's earning $50/hr in the private sector?

Lawyers? dentists?

CDNBear; The only industry left that needs a union said:
Fast food is the last thing a lot of those Union cats need! :lol:

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Absolutely- there are people as you describe in all walks of life and it's not fair to just pick on one profession............it's just at this time the teacher's union is being ridiculous, next month it might be the plumbers.:lol:

That is your perspective, but then that is what the Union is there to do. Get the best deal for its members.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Thats just what they make. beffor tax. add 6-8$ for there pention/houre. then add more for benefits like dental+ vacation pay 10%.
I know how it works skippy, I used to own my own company.

And it's irrelevant, you said "put money in peoples pockets".

And pay dues to a group of assholes that do nothing that get paid more than the guys on the ground?

I think you failed to grasp the gist of my position.

Ya, because I refuse to sign my rights to take any contract I want away.

There are bad parts to Unions, but your whole idea sounds like one big step backwards. I don't agree with you at all.
I imagine you would disagree with me. You know very little about how it all works.

Just my 2 Cent.
You want your 1.9 cent change?

That is your perspective, but then that is what the Union is there to do. Get the best deal for its members.
And assholes like Buzz.

Who make more, when the boys and girls that actually do the sweating, get a raise.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
According to the bank of canada inflation calculator The base rate on the job I started on was $2 /hour. When I retired in 2000 it should have been $12.02 /hour.....It was in effect $17 / hour slightly better don't you think.?

There are way more factors to add up in the equation.
Ok you don't agree with me. fine.
/Roll Eyes

And pay dues to a group of assholes that do nothing that get paid more than the guys on the ground?

I imagine you would disagree with me. You know very little about how it all works.

And assholes like Buzz.

Who make more, when the boys and girls that actually do the sweating, get a raise.

Dude your just as bad as they are.
That whole last post was like taking a dump on the thread.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011

Your whole bank of Canada doz not include all the Goverment fee's that have been added over the years for everything.
for one

Are they coming to get you?

Then why did you post it?

Your just butt hurt? I guess
Your a weird one

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
No. The fact that you would ask me about my ass is quite troubling. Please keep me out of you fantasies.

Thank you.

I know, I read your posts.

Ya, I used to think reality was weird, then I grew up.

what are you babling about?

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
There's that stellar comprehension issue coming out again.

If I stop replying to your asinine posts, can we forgo your usual tantrum and meltdown?

I hear your on thin ice.

Normally when people have nothing good to add to a conversation its normal to just not say anything.
Now I understand what andem was talking about.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Normally when people have nothing good to add to a conversation its normal to just not say anything.
Yet here you are.

Now I understand what andem was talking about.
I doubt it.

Here's your last semi constructive post...

I know lots of small construction contractors In Heavy and ICI that are just renting

us out for 60$/houre to big companies making 15$/houre just for covering liability/payroll/etc...

What we need is to move forwards. change is needed, but not what you are talking about.

Just my 2 Cent.

My reply...

Your's.

Dude your just as bad as they are.
That whole last post was like taking a dump on the thread.

Anything hypocritical, or ironic you'd like to retract?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Your whole bank of Canada doz not include all the Goverment fee's that have been added over the years for everything.
for one
Check the web site again Einstein, the consumer price index in that calculator takes everything into account when you buy an article , tax duty etc.
There are way more factors to add up in the equation.
Ok you don't agree with me. fine.
/Roll Eyes
I'll take that as conceding:smile:
and may i suggest you take some remedial reading and use a spell check....real easy with a google toolbar but maybe too hard for a genius.