School Board Approves Birth Control Prescriptions at Maine Middle School

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I don't see why Sex Education should be a parental responsibility, most parents are quite inept at teaching such a thing anyways.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I don't see why Sex Education should be a parental responsibility, most parents are quite inept at teaching such a thing anyways.

Sex education falls right in there with mores...... Morals should be taught and instilled by Family. Some "teacher" does not have the right...IMNSHO

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Obviously a parent should instill morals in a child, sex ed isn't really about morals though. SexEd was more biology then anything when I took it. Do you have a collection of STD pictures to show your kids when you want to do your teaching, Gerry?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Obviously a parent should instill morals in a child, sex ed isn't really about morals though. SexEd was more biology then anything when I took it. Do you have a collection of STD pictures to show your kids when you want to do your teaching, Gerry?

Maybe my kids are smarter than most then...I didn't have to show them pics for them to understand STD's, teenage pregnancy, and taking responsibility for ones actions.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
But there isn't any reason why you couldn't keep your daughter off the pill unless she goes to the doctor and specifically requests it for herself. I think they can do that can't they? But that's a far cry from not allowing other parents daughters to take it.

I never said that other peoples' kids shouldn't take it Unf. Reread the thread... the only thing I said regarding the school's policy, is that I'd be furious if they handed out birth control pills without condoms. The rest was only me discussing my own desire to keep my own kid off BC if I possibly can.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Come on now....so many of you have voiced your support of or at least support the concept. Is not Sex education a parental responsibility? What other responsibilities are parents willing or wanting to cede?

Is it ceding my right to read to my children if I let them be read to at school as well? heck no. No reason I can't read to my kids over and above what gets read to them in school. Sex Ed is no different. I want my kids to take it, because while I'm covering these issues at home as well, this isn't the only area where repetition and different teaching styles help to really cement concepts and ideas. Learning is no different with Sex Ed than any other course taught at school... it ought to be taught in conjunction with parental support.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Sex education falls right in there with mores...... Morals should be taught and instilled by Family. Some "teacher" does not have the right...IMNSHO

The teacher can't teach the morals of it anyway... morals are modeled in a day to day environment. No way any teacher can instill that in a class room setting when it comes to sex ed. But what a teacher CAN often do better, is to give kids an anonymous setting in which to pose any question they want. Every sex ed class I ever took had 'the question box'. everyone wrote questions, threw them in the box, and the sheer size of the class guaranteed the health nurse could answer them without embarrassment clouding the kid's comprehension.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Maybe my kids are smarter than most then...I didn't have to show them pics for them to understand STD's, teenage pregnancy, and taking responsibility for ones actions.

hmmm... have you ever sat your kids down to ask where you missed something? While many parents are very good, and very rigorous about teaching the issue, something usually gets missed. Sure, the kids usually pick up on it before it's an issue, but, there's still usually always something. Go buy any book on sex such as 'the joy of sex' or 'good vibrations', and you'll probably find a few topics you didn't cover very well, or missed out on all together. Dental dams springs to mind as one few parents cover, but schools are starting to bring up.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
hmmm... have you ever sat your kids down to ask where you missed something? While many parents are very good, and very rigorous about teaching the issue, something usually gets missed. Sure, the kids usually pick up on it before it's an issue, but, there's still usually always something. Go buy any book on sex such as 'the joy of sex' or 'good vibrations', and you'll probably find a few topics you didn't cover very well, or missed out on all together. Dental dams springs to mind as one few parents cover, but schools are starting to bring up.

I don't need to buy them...we already own them.

The internal objections to this voice my "concerns" very well.

The Portland School Committee voted 5-2 for the measure.
Chairman John Coynie voted against it, saying he felt providing the birth control was a parental responsibility. The other no vote came from Ben Meiklejohn, who said the consent form does not clearly define the services being offered.
Opponents cited religious and health objections.
Diane Miller, who said she has worked as a school nurse in another district for eight years, called the proposal "tragic" and asked "What would God have us do?"
Miller said the plan gives children an adult responsibility they are not ready for, and puts them at risk from sexually transmitted disease and emotional problems.

"I just don't know how we can even look at this and consider it," she said.
Peter Doyle, a former middle school teacher, said the proposal violates the rights of parents, potentially ignoring their special knowledge of their children's health, and puts young girls at risk of cancer from too early use of hormone-based contraceptives.
"You all are going to be responsible for the devastating effects on young women when this goes through," he said.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
My biggest issue is that it seems like the parents are cut out of the loop because of confidentiality laws.

I say hell, if we're not gonna have a say in whether they have babies or not, might as well let them buy cars, houses, go to Vegas and pay for hookers, and might as well let them vote too.

Because lord knows, they already know everything, at least in their minds.

The proponents of this mean well I think, but they have a serious case of cranial-rectal inversion going on.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I really think that ultimately, the school district and parents need to hash it out according to what's most needed in their particular district. Without knowing how many middle schoolers they've had end up knocked up, I'd be talking through my hat. The fact that I'm a reasonable parent willing to educate my kids, doesn't make everyone that way.

But at the same time, exposing young girls to the risks without full parental support... well... that doesn't sit well with me. I'm pretty sure my voice would be one of opposition if I were a parent in the district. Surely there has to be a way to run such a program that doesn't leave parents out of the loop in the decision process.... especially when you consider the vast majority of the kids it applies to are not legal age of consent for such activities.

I think I've found my butt planted firmly on a fence.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
My biggest issue is that it seems like the parents are cut out of the loop because of confidentiality laws.

I say hell, if we're not gonna have a say in whether they have babies or not, might as well let them buy cars, houses, go to Vegas and pay for hookers, and might as well let them vote too.

Because lord knows, they already know everything, at least in their minds.

The proponents of this mean well I think, but they have a serious case of cranial-rectal inversion going on.

and this slippery slope was started many years ago with advent of teaching kids that they had "rights". This was in answer to child abuse. Problem is, they don't teach the kids that with those "rights" go "responsibilities", and unfortunatley someof these rights are very adult with adult type consequences if the adult resposibilities are ignored.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Many parents - a surpringly large number have abdicated their parental responsibilities letting schools take over what I believe to be part of the family upbringing - at least instilling family values (I hate using that expression but families do have different values whether the schools acknowledge it or not)....

The only thing a family can do is pre-empt the schools' rush to educate their children by making certain their children learn as much from the parent(s) as they wish them to know.

There is also the issue of STD shots being given the younger kids too but that is a bit off topic...

Parents have given up their parental duties and rights - they are going to sit back and watch strangers take over for them.... breakfast, lunch, and now birth control?

Reactions: gerryh

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Many parents - a surpringly large number have abdicated their parental responsibilities letting schools take over what I believe to be part of the family upbringing - at least instilling family values (I hate using that expression but families do have different values whether the schools acknowledge it or not)....

The only thing a family can do is pre-empt the schools' rush to educate their children by making certain their children learn as much from the parent(s) as they wish them to know.

There is also the issue of STD shots being given the younger kids too but that is a bit off topic...

Parents have given up their parental duties and rights - they are going to sit back and watch strangers take over for them.... breakfast, lunch, and now birth control?

Exactley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I think the handing out of prescription drugs to children should be illegal, even if it IS birth control.

Condoms and education ought to do the job just fine, and if they don't, well it's still wrong to go allowing young people to take drugs the side-effects of which are so varied and unknown

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Which will prompt her to find a boyfriend who has frequent need of bolt cutters... not the kind of chap you want her hanging around.
It will require an advanced calculus formula along with an acceptable declaration of parents net worth to be opened.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I think I've found my butt planted firmly on a fence.

Karrie, from what I've read of your posts you may be sitting on the fence now, but i don't believe you're planted there firmly. It's good to be open minded like you are. Sitting on the fence until all the facts are in is a good place to be. But I don't think you'd stay there once the facts were in.

I think condom would be a better choice over birth control pills. I wonder why that wasn't advicated? Pharmecuetical company got their hands out to donate to the school budgets?

Curio, what is this STD shots thing you mentioned?