School Board Approves Birth Control Prescriptions at Maine Middle School

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Obviously there are a couple of parents that took their responsibilities seriously.

My kids started learning about the "birds and the bees" when they were about 5. Wonderfull book called "Where did I come from".

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I don't think anyone can really compare 9 months of a body's own hormone's, to years of synthetic ones Unf.

Why not? For that matter look at people who have pregnancy after pregnancy. Not to mention the whole having a kid situation that lasts for 16 to some 20 years of dependence which costs well over $100,000 per.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
'the' talk? Wow... I got read to, talked to... had question and answer periods tossed at me during drives....

I'm always blown away when people say there was 'the' talk. I got probably 50! lol.

I never got "the talk" at all. My Dad was a little to up tight for that sort of thing. I was left to figure things out on my own. School did the standard sexed thing which was in retrospect a mess of goofy morals and misinformation.

I learned more with my wife, girlfriend then, in a few months than I did in the whole time of my life before then.

It would have been great to have someone that could just give me the straight goods so that I could have known the ramifications of what I was doing.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Why not? For that matter look at people who have pregnancy after pregnancy. Not to mention the whole having a kid situation that lasts for 16 to some 20 years of dependence which costs well over $100,000 per.

google the problem with birth control pills.... also take a look at what can happen to women/girls with some blood clotting disorders..... something that damn school isn't going to know about when it starts dispensing birth control pills without the parents permission.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

People who engage in pregnancy after pregnancy tend to do so through either stupidity or choice.
A pregnancy just simply isn't the worst thing that can happen to a family.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
This move by the school board is interesting. A strong legal argument can be made that giving prescription drugs to kids under 16 without parental consent is illegal, and it will be interesting to see when the first law suit arrives.

I have no issues with contraception, but there is an issue here with ages of the kids.

Hmmm.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
People who engage in pregnancy after pregnancy tend to do so through either stupidity or choice.
A pregnancy just simply isn't the worst thing that can happen to a family.

I can think of plenty of worse things than either pregnancy or taking birth control pills. But that isn't really the point is it?

And I think they have to have a consent form signed don't they?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I can think of plenty of worse things than either pregnancy or taking birth control pills. But that isn't really the point is it?

And I think they have to have a consent form signed don't they?

Well, yeah, it was my point when I was talking about how I'd prefer to keep my daughter off the pill.

And any child getting a prescription from a doc for the pill needs a parental consent from what I understand. I know when I was put on it at 11, mom had to specifically sign a release form.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
me too if the 15year old is still in middle school. lol.

lmao, should have read the link. Anyways, i recall being in grade 9 and seeing all sorts of teenage moms and they seemed proud of them selves. Start collecting some welfare at 15, hang out at Tim Hortons with all the other breeders, have another baby at 17 ,get some more welfare.. the cycle never ends.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Well, yeah, it was my point when I was talking about how I'd prefer to keep my daughter off the pill.

And any child getting a prescription from a doc for the pill needs a parental consent from what I understand. I know when I was put on it at 11, mom had to specifically sign a release form.

But there isn't any reason why you couldn't keep your daughter off the pill unless she goes to the doctor and specifically requests it for herself. I think they can do that can't they? But that's a far cry from not allowing other parents daughters to take it.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Birth control pills are nothing like they use to be. They are used for certain medical issues and regulating periods. The body produces those hormones on it's own and to actually regulate the hormones in the body prevents many other complications.

Seems they female hormone is getting a bad schtick for certain things. There are so many chemicals that we use daily that act like hormones on the body. Or interfere with hormones of the body that to be worried about low dose estrogen is almost meaningless.

Estrogen and breast cancer links never mention deodorant's carcinogenic properties or that the lymph nodes carry cancerous toxins throughout the body. Putting certain types of perfumes on certain areas, deodorant, hair spray, gel, hair dye, make up, household cleaners, aspertame, all these and a million more things cause cancer.

Low dose estrogen is the least of those worries.

triedit

inimitable
Im sort of waffling on this one. Im all for giving out condoms. But Im not so sure about the pill. The use of that should be talked about with a doctor who knows your body and the bodies of your parents (ie, a solid health history). There's way too much room for screw up here. What if they were giving away diet pills? Given that there is a weight issue these days, how would you feel about your tweenager having access to those without your knowledge and consent?

Now, if the pills are prescribed after a gyn exam and with the parent approval, I think it would be fine. But no woman should ever go on the pill without knowing her family history and having that exam.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
In Ontario and BC teenagers do NOT need parental consent for birth control pills.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Well...excuse me all to hell your royal heinousness......If it's not a matter of you pushing your responsibilities off on the school, then why?... hang on...didn't I already ask why? Oh..yes I did...thought there was an echo in here.

Your not asking out of interest. Who you think you're fooling? Your asking because then you can caustically disagree so you can feel better about your opinion. Your basic psych, man.

Like I said (yes there's an echo) if you really want to discuss this sort of thing, figure out how to talk with somebody rather then spew on them.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'm curious as to how many responsibilities parents are willing to "give away to" society?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Come on now....so many of you have voiced your support of or at least support the concept. Is not Sex education a parental responsibility? What other responsibilities are parents willing or wanting to cede?