Richard Dawkins: Telling children the myth of Santa Claus could damage them

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Or "Queen and country"
Santa Claus is real; democracy isn't.

Hmmm, that's a disturbing but sound observation. Well it should be disturbing. People assume that democracy is real and Santa mythical but the later overwhelmingly consumes more effort of every kind than the former which is only assumed but not at all exercised. Actions speak louder than words? I'm troubled with the definition of real which seems to have escaped me while I read your post. I'm close to awknowlegeing Santa as real. Is information real, the idea of Santa Clause might be more real than the idea of democracy. Both stories are happy glad titing kind of things ain't they, the one might be the other, democracy wears a beard too. The chimney might be taken as the barrel of a cannon.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I will no doubt be published several hundred years from now when the ruins of the Smithsonian are excavated by 27th century Chinese argheologistss

I think I'm building an excuse for giving myself something special thgis coming christmas, Cuba I think.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
You are wise to pick Cuba over the Island of Hispaniola. The beaches are cleaner, the people friendlier - a more pleasant place all around.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
You are wise to pick Cuba over the Island of Hispaniola. The beaches are cleaner, the people friendlier - a more pleasant place all around.

I've never met friendlier people, they picked me out of bushes and off the beach, my daughters wedding compelled me to go, I can't get it out of my system, I have to go back. So my plan is simp,le, when the first frost appears on the car I load my luggage and drive to the airport when the last danger of frost expires I return to romp in NS.

I simply cAN'T TOLERATE ANOTHER NINE MONTH WINTER.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Santa Claus is a Coke commercial icon representing mindless consumerism. Judging by the posts on this thread. Santa has you all brainwashed.... HAHAHAHA!!!

Correction: The image we all know of Santa today is a Coca Cola icon, but the "Person" - Santa Claus - has existed long before that and has been referenced or tied to characters as far back as Germanic Pagan beliefs and Odin himself.

Santa Claus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1881 illustration by Thomas Nast who, with the poem "A Visit from St. Nicholas", helped to create the modern image of Santa Claus.

A 13th-century Egyptian depiction of St. Nicholas from Saint Catherine's Monastery, Sinai.

Folk tale depiction of Father Christmas riding on a goat.

A man dressed up as Santa Claus fundraising for Volunteers of America on the sidewalk of street in Chicago, Illinois, in 1902. He is wearing a mask with a beard attached.

Images of Santa Claus were further popularized through Haddon Sundblom's depiction of him for The Coca-Cola Company's Christmas advertising in the 1930s. The popularity of the image spawned urban legends that Santa Claus was invented by The Coca-Cola Company or that Santa wears red and white because they are the colors used to promote the Coca-Cola brand. Historically, Coca-Cola was not the first soft drink company to utilize the modern image of Santa Claus in its advertising—White Rock Beverages had already used a red and white Santa to sell mineral water in 1915 and then in advertisements for its ginger ale in 1923. Earlier still, Santa Claus had appeared dressed in red and white and essentially in his current form on several covers of Puck magazine in the first few years of the 20th century.

Learn some history.

Last edited:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Honestly, I cannot even begin to imagine my childhood without Christmas and Santa Claus. It would be a much sadder world if this legend didn't exist.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Gee, I was about to start a thread re our annual War On Christmas but forgot that this one had been started months ago.

Well, it'll do.

So let's get that war started ....

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Don't mind letting my child enjoy some Santee Clause pics at the local mall, but if she asks about him I have no problem telling her he's not a real person.

And I will definitely not have anyone dress up as the guy to visit.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:-( I'm so damaged.

now that I know there is no Santa Claus

there should have been a spoiler alert on this thread

But there IS a Santa. Believe..........bellllllieeeeeeeeeeeeeve.

or don't.:roll:

seeeeeeeee::santa:

Richard Dawkins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Dawkins
Clinton Richard Dawkins /ˈdɔːkɨnz/, DSc, FRS, FRSL (born 26 March 1941) is an ethologist, evolutionary biologist, and writer"

They left off a sshole.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Gawd, this guy really needs to take the pole out of his ***.

The North or the South? I guess with the topic at hand, it is probably the North.;)

From the OP Link:

Oh "God", heaven forbid we allow our children to have a fk'n imagination.

I want to imagine Willow vanishes him to a realm where we no longer have to see or hear from again

I liked Willow. I thought it was a good movie.

(Also a hot character on Buffy The Vampire Slayer, especially when she went evil.)

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It was Santa who defeated the Martians:

[youtube]6C5WwammH90[/youtube]

Where would be without him?

Over the years I've tried getting into that movie, but the cheese is just too much. Perhaps I will watch it all the way through...someday.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

I'm prefer him in An Idiot Abroad 3 alongside Karl Pilkington and as the new host of Celebrity Squares.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
shadowshiv; said:
Over the years I've tried getting into that movie, but the cheese is just too much. Perhaps I will watch it all the way through...someday.

Yeah, it's kinda tough to get through it but I managed a long while ago. But then, Santa is my hero so it was good to see him win the day. :)