Rex Murphy's Wisdom vs. The Shiny Pony's Ego

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
Yes, but there's no evidence that the Harperites have extricated their collective asses from their rectums. Until they lose control of the Conservatives, there is little hope for the party. Justin WILL be PM for the foreseeable future.

I'm not saying NO forever... but I seriously doubt "the saviour", Jason Kenney, will git er done! Harper's dictatorial hold on his own party didn't allow for anyone to appear as the 'heir apparent'. When the likes of a Lisa Raitt is seriously put forward as a potential CPC party leader, the next decade of Liberal rule seems assured. Just like I said to CC member Walter!

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
I'm not saying NO forever... but I seriously doubt "the saviour", Jason Kenney, will git er done! Harper's dictatorial hold on his own party didn't allow for anyone to appear as the 'heir apparent'. When the likes of a Lisa Raitt is seriously put forward as a potential CPC party leader, the next decade of Liberal rule seems assured. Just like I said to CC member Walter!

I don't believe it is a matter of the Conservatives doing something dramatic to change their image. Neither do I believe that the Liberals will reign supreme for more than 2 terms at the most. Certainly not under the same leader.

It has always been the way in politics that a new government enjoys much popularity when first elected. They may get elected for a second term but the popularity will have waned considerably. Very seldom does any one party under the same leder make it into a third term.

Times and circumstances change, governments make mistakes, the people tire of them and want change. There will come a time when the people will want change again. They may even give the NDP a whirl, who knows? But it WILL change, you can bet on that!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I don't believe it is a matter of the Conservatives doing something dramatic to change their image. Neither do I believe that the Liberals will reign supreme for more than 2 terms at the most. Certainly not under the same leader.

It has always been the way in politics that a new government enjoys much popularity when first elected. They may get elected for a second term but the popularity will have waned considerably. Very seldom does any one party under the same leder make it into a third term.

Times and circumstances change, governments make mistakes, the people tire of them and want change. There will come a time when the people will want change again. They may even give the NDP a whirl, who knows? But it WILL change, you can bet on that!

There is a sizeable portion of the population that gravitate towards fiscally conservative ideas. Chrétien understood that and, along with Martin, ran a fairly fiscally conservative government, leaving us with a balanced budget. The social conservatives failed to understand that fiscal conservatives don't necessarily agree with social conservatives and when Harper abandoned the former and expanded on the latter, his defeat was inevitable. If the Conservatives learn this, accept this and change, Trudeau will not stand a chance once people see what he has done 4-5 years from now

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
The power of the PM's office was a liberal creation and used to muzzle their MP's long before Harper .time will tell but I will be surprised by any change in the status quo .

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There is a sizeable portion of the population that gravitate towards fiscally conservative ideas. Chrétien understood that and, along with Martin, ran a fairly fiscally conservative government, leaving us with a balanced budget.

Actually, that is very questionable and a strong indication of your ineptitude in matters political. Chretien and Martin achieved what was perceived to be a balanced budget by down loading debt (as in the case of healthcare) to the provinces! :) :) :)

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
Actually, that is very questionable and a strong indication of your ineptitude in matters political. Chretien and Martin achieved what was perceived to be a balanced budget by down loading debt (as in the case of healthcare) to the provinces! :) :) :)

what... you mean they had no GM shares to sell?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Yes, that was part of their deficit reduction plan just like Klein downloaded onto the municipalities. Other than trying to make yourself look stupid, do you have a point?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yes, that was part of their deficit reduction plan just like Klein downloaded onto the municipalities. Other than trying to make yourself look stupid, do you have a point?

Your ignorance is screaming out again. My point was very clear.............your assertion is totally bogus! :):)

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
In your infantile mind! :) :)

My mind has nothing to do with your silly comments. They would be silly whether my IQ was 2 or 200, infantile or sophisticated, logical or illogical. Let's face it. You're just a very silly person.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
My mind has nothing to do with your silly comments. They would be silly whether my IQ was 2 or 200, infantile or sophisticated, logical or illogical. Let's face it. You're just a very silly person.

Glad to hear it.................if you said anything different I'd begin to worry! :)

You are obviously a very slow learner. Didn't you just get a "holiday" for acting like a jerk? You might consider changing your M.O.:) :) :) :)

Last edited:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Didn't you just get a "holiday" for acting like a jerk?

I got a holiday for embarrassing a mod. They are a sensitive lot. I'm not sure what this has to do with your silliness or the fiscally conservative policies of the Chrétien Liberals.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
There is a sizeable portion of the population that gravitate towards fiscally conservative ideas. Chrétien understood that and, along with Martin, ran a fairly fiscally conservative government, leaving us with a balanced budget. The social conservatives failed to understand that fiscal conservatives don't necessarily agree with social conservatives and when Harper abandoned the former and expanded on the latter, his defeat was inevitable. If the Conservatives learn this, accept this and change, Trudeau will not stand a chance once people see what he has done 4-5 years from now

I agree with you even though you are wrong :)
But seriously, I don't think it matters what people agree or disagree with, they simply tire of the 'old' government/leader and want change.
There were a lot of Harper's former supporters who still agreed with his policies but turned against him because they didn't like him. And there were a lot who voted Liberal because they liked Trudeau for superficial reasons that had little or nothing to do with fiscal or any other kind of policies.

As for Chretien, his arrogance grew too large over his term in office and he became quite dictatorial and overconfident. I don't imagine he would have believed he would ever be caught in the Sponsorship Scandal and Shawinigate.
The most sensible thing Chretien ever did, imo, was lower the tax on cigarettes. That brought in a lot of revenue for the government by reducing the underground tobacco business during the short time that the reduction in tax remained.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I got a holiday for embarrassing a mod. They are a sensitive lot. I'm not sure what this has to do with your silliness or the fiscally conservative policies of the Chrétien Liberals.

I'll give you are little hint, there Einstein! Although I don't agree with the procedure of handing out "red thumbs" without an explanation, if someone were to hand out a "red" amongst a dozen greens (like Walter often does) that would probably be fair. (The red doesn't bother me) Be honest- How many greens have you given me among the hundreds of reds, I've been receiving at the rate of three or four or more a day? The answer is none. That indicates to me that you are nothing but a self centred opinionated little pr*ck! :) :)