Republicans do some soul-searching after Romney loss

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I understand how one can get that from a stance that wants to see an ideology "obliterated" (have no influence), but I equate the unrestricted lifestyle that liberalism promotes is the same liberalism that was the downfall of Sodom and Gomorrah.

And you would impose your religious beliefs to stop this?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I can't speak for anyone else but I don't know that I've ever had any "respect" for a politican. I honestly see them as predominently opportunists and our selection between them is alway "best of a bad lot".

Call me cynical.

I feel pretty much the same way, I would be willing to concede that a small percentage start out with good intentions in mind but in the final ana lysis perhaps one percent are solid.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There are many who will soul search but there are many more who will not because
from what they demonstrated they don't have a soul

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I understand how one can get that from a stance that wants to see an ideology "obliterated" (have no influence), but I equate the unrestricted lifestyle that liberalism promotes is the same liberalism that was the downfall of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Sodom and Gomorrah was where rape was normal and minimized. I frankly would attribute that to current far right leaning ideology more than to liberalism. You really should read the stories of Sodom and Gomorrah with critical eye to what the main stories are actually discussing and condemning.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You don't think homosexuality and pedophilia were being rampantly practiced there? Just rape?

first of all.... pedophilia IS rape.

what incident sparks the final destruction? The attempted rape of the angels. And who is the 'righteous man' who is saved from Sodom and Gommorah? Lot, who in place of the angels, offered up his daughters to be gang raped in their stead. That is not righteousness. The destruction has much more to do with rape than it does with homosexuality.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
first of all.... pedophilia IS rape.

what incident sparks the final destruction? The attempted rape of the angels. And who is the 'righteous man' who is saved from Sodom and Gommorah? Lot, who in place of the angels, offered up his daughters to be gang raped in their stead. That is not righteousness. The destruction has much more to do with rape than it does with homosexuality.

With all respect, you don't see how very convenient it is for you as a bisexual to downplay homosexual behavior as one of Sodom's sins? That sounds to me like you're pretending God doesn't consider homosexual behavior sinful. (He does)

Not only that, but wouldn't you agree that there is probably more child-rape happening today, than in Lot's day? If that's the case then God owes Sodom and Gomorrah an apology! I think it was a purely wicked generation that was practicing the whole gamut - homosexuality, pedophilia, child-sacrifice, oppression of the poor, idolatry, hedonism, and just general anarchy that brought God's judgment onto them.

What do we hear some liberals/leftists say today? Homosexuality should be celebrated, grumblings that pedophilia should be considered a sexual orientation (normalization), there's nothing wrong with abortion (child-sacrifice), no harm serving any "god" (idolatry), do what you want (hedonism/unrestricted lifestyle).

See what I mean?! Warning! Warning! We're bringing God's judgment upon us!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

:roll:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
With all respect, you don't see how very convenient it is for you as a bisexual to downplay homosexual behavior as one of Sodom's sins? That sounds to me like you're pretending God doesn't consider homosexual behavior sinful. (He does)

Not only that, but wouldn't you agree that there is probably more child-rape happening today, than in Lot's day? If that's the case then God owes Sodom and Gomorrah an apology! I think it was a purely wicked generation that was practicing the whole gamut - homosexuality, pedophilia, child-sacrifice, oppression of the poor, idolatry, hedonism, and just general anarchy that brought God's judgment onto them.

What do we hear some liberals/leftists say today? Homosexuality should be celebrated, grumblings that pedophilia should be considered a sexual orientation (normalization), there's nothing wrong with abortion (child-sacrifice), no harm serving any "god" (idolatry), do what you want (hedonism/unrestricted lifestyle).

I've opened my mind, my heart, and my ears to many a religious discussion to explore the issue of sexuality and its consentual place in society versus its standing in religion.

I will readily admit to not being 'religious'. While I'm Catholic, I attend rarely. I've listened to many homilies, had many discussions with nuns and priests. I've done my emotional, mental, and religious work surrounding my sexuality. I married, and I live my life within my marriage. I don't believe for a minute that after such work, god would condemn my final decisions and choices in any way shape or form. Of course, you're welcome to pass judgement, as Jesus says you're entitled. Oh. wait. anyway, back to the topic.

Is there more pedophilia today? I doubt it. pedophilia is a pretty stable population trait. There's probably always been the same amounts. And you can't attribute the attempts of the few to normalize pedophilia as 'a liberal movement', especially when conservative people are just as prone to pedophilia as liberal.

And no. abortion is NOT child sacrifice.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Here we go again.... you're against 2 men or 2 women loving each other.... you condemn the murder of the unborn....... yet you support the mass murder of hundreds of thousands every year through wars..... you can look in the mirror and say fu cking hypocrite.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
And you would impose your religious beliefs to stop this?

Had to come back to this question because in my blaze to get through several replies that night I failed to ask you why would you even ask this? I'm HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS of the motive behind such a ridiculous question.

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It is time the Republicans grew up they LOST an election and that is no surprise they did
not capture the imagination of the voter as to what America should look like. The time is
now for them to come together and look at the reason they lost. Number one and two is
that they were threatening to mess with old age pensions and security and medicare.
The people want both left alone. They also wanted to keep the tax breaks for the wealthy.
People want everyone to pay.
The biggest problem for the Republicans they were negative about everything, they then
turned this into a battle ground over some kind of good and evil and it backfired. The real
silent majority had enough and they came out to vote. The Youth, the Minorities, Latinos'
and others more than a million new Black Voters, even if a considerable number stayed
home new voters took their place.
All the Republicans have to do now is form new policy giving up the neoconservative agenda.
They have to start looking respectable again and shedding people like The Donald, Bachman,
and even Pat Ryan. Elections from now on are going to be about economic and social issues.
That is where the Republicans lose, abortion, the old South church connections, the anti gay
thing. They can't see everyone else has moved on and those issues are better left to yesterday.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
American political culture doesn't work like that. Democrats and Republicans aren't internal political opponents. They are mortal enemies who want to see each other's ideologies totally destroyed.

That may be true on the extreme ends of the parties for now but it was not always like that. Up until relatively recently Republicans and Democrats did work together on a number of issues. Even today the votes in the House and Senate are not always split on party lines on every issue.

Plus if there is one major thing the two major parties agree on it is on making it as hard as possible for a third party to rise. They make all the rules to ensure only they can win. Thats hardly how 'mortal enemies' act with each other.

They also dont need to destroy each others ideologies. Today's Republicans and Democrats are quite different from the Republicans and Democrats of 20-30 years ago. Both parties have changed a fair bit since they were first formed. There is no need to destroy each others ideologies. All you have to do is wait and it'll change with the times.