Quebec Sucks

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
you'll be fine... but keep in mind that if you stumble on a bilingual Montrealer (and there's plenty!), they do care enough to use their english, just for you. So, you could at least pretend that you care!

Why would I have to pretend I care, when I actually do care.
If they are bilingual, we will converse without a problem and we'll get along fine.
I will only stumble around if I am trying to figure out french language.
If people are rude, it has nothing to do with language, it is to do with that person.
If you know lots about montreal, tell me where to get great meals, and,
are menus only in french in 'old montreal'?

Last edited:

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I wouldn't judge the province from one city. Montreal. The rest of the province cringe almost talking about it. Quebec city is friendlier. Easterntownship have a few small anglo communities. Pot holes ?
hahaha Yeah we have them :angry3:
Funny how it takes a few idiots to make you paint the rest of the 6 million people that same colour. And as if there isn't any idiots in your area :roll:
But bitch away , in the end it only shows your true colours ;-)
Quebec may suck , but it refuses to swallow :idea:

Reactions: s_lone

MassAtrocity

Sep 27, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I'm thinking that perhaps a real issue with why people dislike Quebec (if this hasn't already been said before...) is because of the, as I like to call them, "French hicks". Before I get flammed on the basic name calling, let me at least voice my opinion.

It's simple. Throughout history, the term "hick" has been used to describe a person, or persons who refuse to accept people from different cultures other than their own, so they shun what is different, thus being simply unsophisticated. Now where the "french hick" term comes into play is the view that some (not all) french people simply refuse to acknowledge what isn't Quebecois. Pointe finale.

Anyways, from what I've noticed in personal findings, the people who dislike Quebec encounter these assholes who refuse to speak, if not at least learn, english. I completely acknowledge their right to speak their own language in their own province. However, in Montreals case, if you advertise that this place is bi-lingual as a tourist attraction to not only to foreigners, but to your own people, but then force a single language upon it's public. Well, that's a little hypocritical, and false advertising. If anything, it should be forced that it's people in Montreal should learn both french AND english. While preserving one culture is nice, neglecting and shunning other cultures is hypocritical. Like I said, this is in Montreals case.

Now for the person opinion! As a Montrealite, as well as an inhabitant of Quebec, I completely admit to adoring the landscape and natural well being of this province. However, I feel disgraced by the loudmouthed Quebecer francophones who overshadow the actually decent Quebecer francophones. As an anglophone, I don't look down on someone who primarily speaks french. Hell, I don't laugh at a french persons poor speech when they attempt it. And it's for that reason: They're attempting. I respect a person who's willing to step out of their own shell to learn something that they aren't accustomed to. Myself, I don't speak french that well for the simple reason that I plain never really need to other than basic speech. But that doesn't diminish the fact that I at least try, even if I sound horrible at first. Best thing I've ever heard was from a francophone friend of mine: "I want my kid to learn english, even if my girlfriend doesn't really and I don't know it too well. I want him to be smarter than these idiots who hold us back. Speaking two languages aren't means that he'll have room to grow...."

Eh....I lost steam now. I'm tired...

Reactions: lone wolf

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
MassAtrocity, Welcome to Canadian Content Forums. What you've stated
is very well said, and indeed I believe that it is part of the problem. Being
inside Quebec, you wouldn't see the media outside of Quebec in how it is
constantly portrayed as a spoiled primadona with both hands extended for
a handout. Continual coverage of special status and continual extra helpings
of tax dollars breeds ill thoughts of Quebec every time it's mentioned. That
too would be part of the problem.

With your open mind, I can see you and a member here named Machjo in
many discussions on Language, among other things.

Last edited:

jambo101

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2009
Montreal
Some of the Quebec people have been brainwashed into thinking Quebec would be better off as a separate country,I would imagine if it ever did happen Quebec would degenerate into something akin to Somalia of the west as the government sells its soul for money to keep the country financially afloat.As in most situations around the world its not the people its the government policies that people have a problem with,so lets Clarify and say that the separatist elements in the Quebec government suck.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Some of the Quebec people have been brainwashed into thinking Quebec would be better off as a separate country,I would imagine if it ever did happen Quebec would degenerate into something akin to Somalia of the west as the government sells its soul for money to keep the country financially afloat.As in most situations around the world its not the people its the government policies that people have a problem with,so lets Clarify and say that the separatist elements in the Quebec government suck.
As much as I agree with you, you are not intirely right. For the sepratist basing thier reason on the finacial side of the issue they seem to think Ottawa is the problem..... well yeah it is but the Quebec government which ever side is in power is the same ol same ol when it comes to the economy. This seems to make it look like a constant problem and that we lose our money to Ottawa. Ottawa for some reason is not clearing the air by saying Quebec is getting more than ig outs out. WTF? So blaming others for your problem seems the easiest to do. So either seperatist or not , the Quebec government sucks !!! period! The amount that we are taxed we should be able to do something with that money. Ontario , pretty much equal to us in size and such do alot better . Just check the roads. Quebec is considered a third world country when it comes to that.
Oh side note, lots of road repairs going on, I smell an election coming up.

Boomer Sooner

Time Out
Mar 6, 2010
Hundreds of US caribou hunters were totally screwed over by the Inuits last year. Look up Tutullik. They ripped us of for millions.

The majority were bowhunters from the states that had to pay their money up front. I was notified by the US booking agent 3 days before I was to leave that my hunt was canceled. When I contacted RCMP after my money ($5000) was stolen, I was told that no laws were violated.

I will NEVER hunt or visit Quebec again. The Inuits have the run of the show to the detriment of the rest of you folks. Sad, but that's the way it is.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Hundreds of US caribou hunters were totally screwed over by the Inuits last year. Look up Tutullik. They ripped us of for millions.

The majority were bowhunters from the states that had to pay their money up front. I was notified by the US booking agent 3 days before I was to leave that my hunt was canceled. When I contacted RCMP after my money ($5000) was stolen, I was told that no laws were violated.

I will NEVER hunt or visit Quebec again. The Inuits have the run of the show to the detriment of the rest of you folks. Sad, but that's the way it is.

Is that all it takes to keep baby murdering americans out of country? Kudos to the Inuit for figuring it out.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

We don't want yankees up here raping our resources anyway...

Hats off to the Inuits!

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Who took your money - the Inuit or your booking agent?

jagro

Jan 24, 2011
Typical responses from no doubt a pair of the more intelligent inhabitants of the worthless province.

englishcanadian

May 19, 2011
i am tired of all this separation talk. I am an ethnic English speaking Canadian that was born and raised in montreal. My whole life i was terrorized and told to speak french., we are in Quebec blah blah. I love living here but the ignorance that some Quebecers have upsets me. Don;t you realize that we have an advantage here. We have the opportunity to learn and speak two languages. Why close your eyes to enhancing your possibilities learning languages are a bonus. I speak four languages and i am proud, french being one of them. Quebecers should stop talking separation and start taking English classes learn the international language , everyone speaks English no matter where you go. Why deprive yourselves of communicating and travelling. There are so many possiblites out there.Stop Quebec is part of Canada and many Quebecers fail to remember that.

A fellow Canadian who just wants to feel like im at home, here in Quebec.