Quebec Sucks

Ejvid04

Aug 23, 2009
Visiting quebec

So my Fiance is from Montreal, which of course, I knew was a French-English bilingual area. She wanted me to stay with her, one which I cannot help but regret. Montreal? Bilingual? As a visitor from the United States, I learned what little french I could on my way, to be insulted at.

As an American.. I'm familiar with Bill 101, and much of Canadian politics... and I find it so insulting that a so called "bi-lingual" nation (which is mostly made up of English) has to violate and discriminate against the English language.

I get it, people hate the Quebecois because their "snobs", and the is mutually greeted. English is just a language, just as French. Tourism makes up for one major percentage of Montreal's economy.. but I just don't see how they can maintain such a tourism rate (especially from the rest of Canada & the USA)

Most everyone I confronted spoke English, in fact, fluently.. yet.. refused to speak it around me, or even when I'm one of their paying customers. English is a dominate culture in the North American territories, and I believe that relying on illegal and discriminating laws are in huge violation in many basic humane rights.

The more I read into Quebecois Politics, the more I see the complete opposite of what I respect, rather they are a (correct me if I'm wrong) a wrench stuck in a machine that refuses to budge unless they get their way. But hey, Politics.. they all suck.

I was so happy to move to Montreal, a gorgeous city.. and hell I even was learning French, but now.. It seems the thought of learning a language, (which by all means is respectful) shouldn't even be my responsibility.. because they refuse to even respect my basic rights, commercial and political.

[SARCASM]Excuse me while I go complain about someone who greeted me with "Hi" instead of "Bonjour" and take thousands of dollars from the company" [/end sarcasm]

Ejvid04

Aug 23, 2009
well it's the first Quebec titled thread I could find, that actually had to do with Quebec, so I figured I'd add my recent Montreal experience..

judging by the fact I'm a soon to be Canadian citizen, I love seeing other viewpoints and opinions.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
So my Fiance is from Montreal, which of course, I knew was a French-English bilingual area. She wanted me to stay with her, one which I cannot help but regret. Montreal? Bilingual? As a visitor from the United States, I learned what little french I could on my way, to be insulted at.

As an American.. I'm familiar with Bill 101, and much of Canadian politics... and I find it so insulting that a so called "bi-lingual" nation (which is mostly made up of English) has to violate and discriminate against the English language.

I get it, people hate the Quebecois because their "snobs", and the is mutually greeted. English is just a language, just as French. Tourism makes up for one major percentage of Montreal's economy.. but I just don't see how they can maintain such a tourism rate (especially from the rest of Canada & the USA)

Most everyone I confronted spoke English, in fact, fluently.. yet.. refused to speak it around me, or even when I'm one of their paying customers. English is a dominate culture in the North American territories, and I believe that relying on illegal and discriminating laws are in huge violation in many basic humane rights.

The more I read into Quebecois Politics, the more I see the complete opposite of what I respect, rather they are a (correct me if I'm wrong) a wrench stuck in a machine that refuses to budge unless they get their way. But hey, Politics.. they all suck.

I was so happy to move to Montreal, a gorgeous city.. and hell I even was learning French, but now.. It seems the thought of learning a language, (which by all means is respectful) shouldn't even be my responsibility.. because they refuse to even respect my basic rights, commercial and political.

[SARCASM]Excuse me while I go complain about someone who greeted me with "Hi" instead of "Bonjour" and take thousands of dollars from the company" [/end sarcasm]

Many people live in Montreal without knowing much French and seem to manage absolutely fine...

I live here too. I'd be curious to know where exactly you were insulted.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Mont-Royal and Saint-michel were the 2 areas I was staying at...

Saint-Michel is indeed quite French... And Mont-Royal street also... (unless you were living in 'town' Mont-Royal, north of the mountain?).

You'd hardly have any problems if you were living more out west, which is strongly anglophone.

I'll tackle some of your issues in my next post.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Generally, when I travel, I try not to 'confront' people.
If you confronted me, a unilingual Anglophone, I'd probably tell you where to go, in any language.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal

Montreal truly is bilingual in terms of population. There is as much French as English and it is a bit disorienting especially when you are downtown. And while the city is considered bilingual, that doesn't mean every citizen you'll come across speak both languages! Out in the west, some people barely speak a word of French and it's the opposite in the East. But most people you'll meet will be at least functional in the other language.

I've been living here for 5 years and if you told me that being insulted because of language is a norm in Montreal, I simply wouldn't believe you. But then I am perfectly bilingual and it's a non-issue for me. Still, from my experience, most people will gladly switch from one language to the other depending on the context. But you'll definitely come across a few zealots on both sides once and while.

It's a complex issue and it won't serve you to simplify it. And if you are truly interested in understanding the dynamics of Montreal and Quebec at large, I suggest you read as much as you can and make sure you get diverse point of views.

Canada is historically bilingual, but as you already know, most of the country speaks English. While French is my mother language, I won't go prancing around Alberta expecting people to understand my French for the obvious reason that French isn't Alberta's main language. I'd say it's the same with Quebec, to a certain extent. Most places outside Montreal are predominantly French and there would be no reason for you to use English and expect everybody to understand you. The reality is that most people will because English is so present in North America, but the decent thing for you is to at least give French a try and you'll find that most of the times, your decency will be matched by a willingness to speak in both languages.

When in Rome, speak like the Romans.

The problem with Canadian vs. Quebec politics is that there is a cultural/language barrier which creates two very different notions of what the country ought to be. Francophones in Quebec mostly identify to Quebec as a nation, and Canada is viewed as a patchwork country of which they are a part of. A Quebec francophone traveling across Canada would feel something like a European traveling across the European Union. Do you see the subtlety? While Quebec isn't a country, it feels like one to most francophones and this ''country'' is viewed as being French, not bilingual, the only exception would be Montreal, which is a place of its own...

The official language of Quebec is French only. This clashes with the notion that Canada is officially bilingual but to most Quebecers, that is irrelevant because the rest of the country also isn't bilingual to the exception of New-Brunswick.

If your wife had been German, wouldn't you expect to speak German in Germany and not English, even if most Germans probably can speak English...?

The fact that tourism is good is probably proof that most people here are decent. The truth is that most tourists will get by without speaking much French, because a majority of people will switch to English when they see someone is struggling.

It's not your basic human right to be spoken to in English. Nobody's stopping you to speak English but nothing can stop others to speak French to you. If you are badly treated as a customer than it is your right to go spend your money elsewhere. And how can a law be illegal? According to Quebec law, you can use any language you want as long as you use it alongside the official language (I'm speaking of sign laws of course)

No one will force you to learn the language. But no one will force themselves to accommodate you either.

Reactions: CDNBear

spd1cr

Aug 29, 2009
Agreed

I just spent the last 4 months in Montreal and travelled throughout Quebec. What is it with these people? I have no problem with the language because most people do speak English and readily change from one language to the next. But the people there are just rude. The roads suck and it is dirty. I saw guys pissing on the steps up to an apartment. It is like no one cares about anyone else. It is like they don't realize it is 2009 and they are years behind the rest of the world. And seriously do I need to eat french fries with everything?? Even at Pizza Hut I was asked if I wanted french fries? For a province that thinks of themselves so highly, one would think they would eat a little better, nothing there has any taste! Everything is plain and boring. Seriously I've been to Mexico numerous times and it is a lot cleaner and more modern in Mexico. Congratulations to Quebec for being a third world province!!

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
I just spent the last 4 months in Montreal and travelled throughout Quebec. What is it with these people? I have no problem with the language because most people do speak English and readily change from one language to the next. But the people there are just rude. The roads suck and it is dirty. I saw guys pissing on the steps up to an apartment. It is like no one cares about anyone else. It is like they don't realize it is 2009 and they are years behind the rest of the world. And seriously do I need to eat french fries with everything?? Even at Pizza Hut I was asked if I wanted french fries? For a province that thinks of themselves so highly, one would think they would eat a little better, nothing there has any taste! Everything is plain and boring. Seriously I've been to Mexico numerous times and it is a lot cleaner and more modern in Mexico. Congratulations to Quebec for being a third world province!!

Congratulations on sounding like an idiot.

If you want to eat good food get your head out of your ass and inform yourself on where you can get it.

storz7

Aug 9, 2009
2 years in quebec reply

I am not in Quebec, I am edcuated enough to know that there is good, bad in all.
However I loved Montreal and wanted to make it my home. I wrote that post in anger so possibly it appears very one-sided. However the fact is. As an Angalophone if you went speaking English to St. Jean Baptiste weekend. It would be foolish and dangerous,,now that's about 20,000 pepole so? I moved to TMR in Quebec. I had to add my two cents because I lived it and literally would not go anywhere without my Ex-Police Dog trained in Shcutzhund. Sad because I served in three campaigns for our Military would I put my life on the line for a Quebec Soldier???? Of Course..
I love where I am living now western Oil Country and there are some great people out here.
I can't replay the same issues out here as I did in Quebec no matter who I am dealing with in any economical status. So that cannot be used as an excuse when discussing my two years in Quebec..Thank you

rideAbike

Sep 9, 2009
Vancouver
I am not in Quebec, I am edcuated enough to know that there is good, bad in all.[/B]

lol, love it when someone is humble enough to say out loud that it's because he's 'educated enough' that he know about good and bad ;-)

I love this thread by the way, it's like Montreal, 1993 all over again! Anyway, I lived all around this country and I have to say that Quebec (particularly Quebec City), it was just awesome. I had an amazing time down there. Yes, I had a hard time at first because in Quebec (IMO), people are way more likely to say what they think! Back then I was not use to that... it was a bit shocking (and refreshing)!

So, no Quebec doesn't sucks! it's rad!!! If I had to rank the provinces I lived in, it will be as fallow: 1st: Quebec (No doubt what so ever), 2nd: Alberta (Love the Stampede!), 3rd: Ontario (lot of people, but not much happening), 4th: BC (it's beautiful, but plain boring)

thanks to the army for making me see the country inside and out.

long live to the debate!

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
My husband and I will be in Montreal for 4 days in October, and we don't know a
word of french, and I don't really care, I'm sure we'll stumble around a little trying
to order in restaurants, sometimes, so what. If anyone is rude to me, I know how
to be rude right back, we'll come out even, but don't expect those problems.
Sure, if I went to Germany I would expect to have to know some german, but
montreal is in canada, and I'm canadian, we have two languages, I know one of them, I'll be fine.

rideAbike

Sep 9, 2009
Vancouver
My husband and I will be in Montreal for 4 days in October, and we don't know a
word of french, and I don't really care, I'm sure we'll stumble around a little trying
to order in restaurants, sometimes, so what. If anyone is rude to me, I know how
to be rude right back, we'll come out even, but don't expect those problems.
Sure, if I went to Germany I would expect to have to know some german, but
montreal is in canada, and I'm canadian, we have two languages, I know one of them, I'll be fine.

you'll be fine... but keep in mind that if you stumble on a bilingual Montrealer (and there's plenty!), they do care enough to use their english, just for you. So, you could at least pretend that you care!