Quebec looking at law to limit scattering of ashes

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Ash scattering should be heavily regulated.

I promised my sister that I would make her a container to put her ashes in. I made it out of alder which is a pretty hardwood kind of like cherry wood . She rests in something made by her brother who loved her. That is what she wanted.

Did you lathe out a vase or what? I like cherry there's lots of it here but the alder is tiny.

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
I used to feel the same as most of you, that it didn't matter where my ashes were spread. I started saying that they could let my ashes go in the Walmart parking lot. My opinion changed when my Mom passed away last May. My Dad passed about 25 years ago and we had him placed in a niche in a columbarium. My brother went out there often but I never went out there. When my Mom passed, we had already bought the niche beside Dad. We mixed the ashes together and my brother put my parent's wedding picture inside the container. Sounds kind of hokey but now they are together forever. I go out to the cemetery often. What sounds even Hokier is that when I leave the columbarium I kiss my fingers and touch both of their plaques and say I love them. I am sure growing sappier as I grow older. I have asked my children and we will decide together what we will do.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Ash scattering should be heavily regulated.

Did you lathe out a vase or what? I like cherry there's lots of it here but the alder is tiny.
I didn't use the lathe Darkbeaver it was a square container dove tailed together. The bottom was pronounced with some nice profiled moulding and the top was profiled with a concave detail . It looked similar to a small pagota actually.

I would rather have used cherry wood but the alder was available and it's a nice soft grain wood like cherry, I finished it with a natural lacquer finish about 6 coats for depth.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I didn't use the lathe Darkbeaver it was a square container dove tailed together. The bottom was pronounced with some nice profiled moulding and the top was profiled with a concave detail . It looked similar to a small pagota actually.

I would rather have used cherry wood but the alder was available and it's a nice soft grain wood like cherry, I finished it with a natural lacquer finish about 6 coats for depth.

A miniature pagoda would be a lovely resting place for ashes, Ludlow.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I used to feel the same as most of you, that it didn't matter where my ashes were spread. I started saying that they could let my ashes go in the Walmart parking lot. My opinion changed when my Mom passed away last May. My Dad passed about 25 years ago and we had him placed in a niche in a columbarium. My brother went out there often but I never went out there. When my Mom passed, we had already bought the niche beside Dad. We mixed the ashes together and my brother put my parent's wedding picture inside the container. Sounds kind of hokey but now they are together forever. I go out to the cemetery often. What sounds even Hokier is that when I leave the columbarium I kiss my fingers and touch both of their plaques and say I love them. I am sure growing sappier as I grow older. I have asked my children and we will decide together what we will do.
My Mother and my Step Father were both cremated . They passed 2 years apart. Sam first and then two years later mom. Their ashes are buried in the same plot at a cemetery in Scottsdale. When I lived in Phoenix I tried to get out and pay my respects every Saturday. I was not present when either of them died. I was fifteen hundred miles away. I know they aren't aware of my visits to see them but it was important to me.