Quebec looking at law to limit scattering of ashes

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
In practice it'd be pretty hard to stop people from doing as they like with the ashes. It looks and feels like regular sand so who's to know what you're dropping on the ground or into the wind.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Why oh why do governments waste time on things like this when they should be taking care of business?
What difference does it make where a few ounces of ashes get scattered? It's not like they are poisonous, FGS!
It would be a senseless unenforceable law. One could dump ashes while driving down a back road, taking a walk in the woods or throw them over your neighbour's fence when he's not looking and nobody would ever know.
I don't care where my family puts my ashes. When I'm gone I'm gone and I ain't gonna be a-lookin' back!

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
My ashes will go into a pioneer graveyard here right beside family members buried there in the 1840's. We accidentally stumbled upon an unused grave bought and paid for by an ancestor five generations earlier that we essentially own. It will hold something like 22 cremation urns and we have decided to use it as an extended family site. I have been invited in. It is a really cool place on the Niagara Penninsula, full of mature Carolinian hardwood forest trees, bordered by cherry orchards, still maintained but still rural enough that it being paved over is impossibly remote. I hope that my descendants enjoy it there, when they are curious about their dozens of forebearers in that place.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Two methods of disposal appeal to me. One is a Viking funeral and the other is a Tibetan Sky burial. Unfortunately building a Viking ship is a tad expensive and having my body cut into pieces and fed to vultures and eagles is illegal in Canada. I'm still toying with the idea of a miniature ship and a last sail on Canim Lake for my ashes.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
What difference does it make you're dead. Just burn the carcase and toss the charred remains in the trash.

Well you're right of course, Lud once I'm a gonner it won't matter to me. In the meantime planning the aftermath of my demise is a fun thing to do. :smile: And, I would much rather be fed to Eagles than thrown in the trash - what a waste of protein.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
"The province's proposed Bill 66 bans the dispersal of ashes in various public and private spaces as a way to respect “the dignity of the deceased.”
Some religious groups and funeral institutions are arguing that ashes should only be kept in a cemetery or a columbarium.
"If you want to remember the memory of this person, you (should) have a place where they are," said Yoland Tremblay, general manager of the Notre-Dame-Des-Neiges, which is the largest cemetery in Canada."

How does not doing what someone wants done "more dignified for the deceased"?

I'm sure the cemetery's would "prefer" you PAID them for a plot, but I would think that the wishes of the "deceased" would be important than the selfish motivations of the living.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Well you're right of course, Lud once I'm a gonner it won't matter to me. In the meantime planning the aftermath of my demise is a fun thing to do. :smile: And, I would much rather be fed to Eagles than thrown in the trash - what a waste of protein.
There could be an option of being ground up into summer sausage for the family but I think that would probably be illegal.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
What difference does it make you're dead. Just burn the carcase and toss the charred remains in the trash.

People are interested in where they came from. Not your people, maybe but mine sure seem to be and finding an ancestor from 225 years earlier in a pioneer cemetary is immensely interesting. I can't think of a better fate for my remains ... to be a scavenger hunt objective.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
People are interested in where they came from. Not your people, maybe but mine sure seem to be and finding an ancestor from 225 years earlier in a pioneer cemetary is immensely interesting. I can't think of a better fate for my remains ... to be a scavenger hunt objective.
I've been to the family cemetery in Cookville Texas. Goes back a few generations but that's about it. We do not really know about how our family got to America. I've researched as have other members of our family and hit a dead end. Suffice it to say we all originated in Africa and anything in between then and now is speculative and doesn't mean much anyway.

Although your remains will be appreciated by the night crawlers I'm sure.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I've been to the family cemetery in Cookville Texas. Goes back a few generations but that's about it. We do not really know about how our family got to America. I've researched as have other members of our family and hit a dead end. Suffice it to say we all originated in Africa and anything in between then and now is speculative and doesn't mean much anyway.

My line has been here a long, long time. They were refugees from your country, at one point in our history.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Cremation Diamonds Made From Ashes

Wear your loved one on your finger for the rest of your life..

...or as won lady did, had her Husband cremated, made into a diamond and then pawned him.. :lol:

Guess he was worth more, dead than alive.. 8O

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
It is absolutely a money grab! I can't believe funeral homes are hurting 'cuz they're business is pretty much guaranteed so for me, it pure greed and the idea is totally unconscionable. It should be a personal (or family) decision and government needs to butt out!!

Funerals are hugely expensive - they've gotten to be way out of line for most people. Even the $2500 bucks you get from CPP for the death of a spouse or partner won't necessarily be enough to cover all costs. Hubby and I want to be cremated. We've talked about getting a plot for ourselves and our disabled son but have yet to do so. But, the idea being that we can all be cremated and buried in the same plot. Don't know if that'll be allowed though - we'll see.

JMHO

Since I love rings, that might be an idea too. hmmmm LOL

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
Such a profound irony that those entrusted with the final aspects of life, are profit driven.
I think government should be taking a hard look at the legality of emotional extortion that takes place when families have to "choose" funeral options. I hear about it all the time.

The thought that only money can buy meaningful closure seems inhuman, but if the industry is to reach it's peak potential, that's where it's headed.

Laws have nothing to do with right or wrong, only money. Pragmatic legislators are controlled by money.

That why our society is turning to ****.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
There could be an option of being ground up into summer sausage for the family but I think that would probably be illegal.

Not only illegal but could be deadly. I once watched a documentary about a tribe of cannibals. It appears that consumption of human remains can drive one nuts. So, it's Eagles for me. :smile:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Biodegradable burial pods will turn you into a tree when you die

An Italian company is looking to take the green burial movement a step further. Capsula Mundi’s alternative to coffins will see you buried in a pod, in the fetal position, with your remains feeding a tree.

The idea is to turn a graveyard of tombstones into a memorial park full of trees.

How it works is that a body is placed in fetal position and enclosed in a biodegradable burial capsule. Then it is planted in soil with a tree. What kind of tree you want your remains to nourish – birch, maple or eucalyptus – is up to you.

“This cultural and broad-based project suggests a different approach to death, natural and eco-friendly. Our purpose is to restore the idea of death to a natural cycle of life.”​

According to the Natural Burial Association, there are four natural burial sites in Canada, with one in British Columbia, and three in Ontario.

Although burial in the form of a tree has not made its debut in Canada, natural burial by returning a body as naturally as possible to the earth is happening.

Biodegradable burial pods will turn you into a tree when you die - National | Globalnews.ca

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
I promised my sister that I would make her a container to put her ashes in. I made it out of alder which is a pretty hardwood kind of like cherry wood . She rests in something made by her brother who loved her. That is what she wanted.