Pyewacket Mixes With Wrong Raccoon

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'd say that securing your garbage better, and thus not habituating wild animals to feeding in town, is a safer, more responsible thing to do for all parties involved, especially the animals Prax.

I talked to the wildlife people this morning. I am free to trap raccoons and dispose of them any way I can. I can only move the animal one kilometer from where I trap it. I am only hampered, not stopped by the firearm regulations in the city of Nanaimo. I am allowed to keep a pet and Piewacket has been with us for six years without a problem.. Any animal that prevents us leading a normal life, does so at it's own peril. It's not as if they are an endangered species.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Racoons are very cunning, smart, and very particular about their food.

There was a time when we left our garage very slightly open at the bottom, to allow movement
of cool through the house, but I notice that our bin of dog food was going down too fast, so
low and behold, it was those varmits, so had to change that habit.
The only way one can stop them, is to keep your garbage inside your house, behind closed doors.
Doesn't matter how well you sort it, wrap it, tie lids down on garbage can, they will figure it
out, I mean, jeesh, they can't go to the safeway, they have to go somewhere.

They are around here too, and I see them moving around in the dark, and seems that the
neighbourhood cats just stay away from them, but then if you have a 'tough' cat who wants
to challenge them, cat will usually come out on the short end.

Juan, where did that name come from -pyewacket

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I mean, jeesh, they can't go to the safeway, they have to go somewhere.

The only reason that don't go to safeway is because they don't weigh enough to activate the automatic door thingy...

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The only reason that don't go to safeway is because they don't weigh enough to activate the automatic door thingy...

Maybe the need to go in large groups, and stand there together, well, if one was waiting on
the door thingy, I would stand there with it, and we could go in together;-)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Maybe the need to go in large groups, and stand there together, well, if one was waiting on
the door thingy, I would stand there with it, and we could go in together;-)

Tried to find a funny picture of raccoons shopping. Came up with this instead...maybe it's more useful?

Are you game to serve Raccoon Stew?
Are you game to serve raccoon stew tonight? / QCTimes.com

People from the Quad-Cities buy raccoon meat from Wilson. Also, he says, “Customers come from the Chicago area and especially the south. People drive all the way to Freeport from the south. I pack the meat in ice.” A 12-pound carcass may cost $5.

After dressing out the raccoons, Wilson stores the meat in plastic bags in a big cooler. Carcasses must be fresh when brought to him; no road kill. They must have been trapped or shot. A special raccoon license must be obtained; dates are Nov. 1 in Iowa, Nov. 5 in Illinois.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Racoons are very cunning, smart, and very particular about their food.

Juan, where did that name come from -pyewacket

There was a movie "Bell, Book, and Candle" back in the fifties. The movie featured a lady who was a witch,(Kim Novak)And that witch had a "familiar". A "familiar" is the witch's closest companion. The "familiar" was a dark, mysterious, cat called Pyewacket.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
There was a movie "Bell, Book, and Candle" back in the fifties. The movie featured a lady who was a witch,(Kim Novak)And that witch had a "familiar". A "familiar" is the witch's closest companion. The "familiar" was a dark, mysterious, cat called Pyewacket.

I must have seen that one years ago, very interesting indeed.