Pyewacket Mixes With Wrong Raccoon

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I can find nothing about it being illegal to feed them, but I know it's illegal to keep them without a permit.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
hmm... I can find the article in the Wildlife Act which states it's illegal to feed 'dangerous' animals (which applies to feeding coyotes, who'd be pretty happy to get into a scrap bucket instead of raccoons), and simply took it at face value when wildlife officers were reminding people in our acreage community that it's illegal to intentionally feed wildlife (this was in reference to the deer). But, I can't find anything that specifically states it's illegal to feed wildlife in general.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
From the link They WILL NOT attack and/or eat your cat (unless the coon is desperate for food and the cat won't share!), 99% of the time raccoons and cats get on just fine and are quite commonly friendly.
I beg to differ. Our cat was in her own yard when she was attacked by a raccoon. I suppose she could have run away, but was not in her nature. As far as I'm concerned, the raccoon was at fault here. I don't know if this raccoon is new in the area or what but I'm going to solve the problem, whatever it takes.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Raccoons will eat whatever their environment provides. In the rural environment, they eat insects, nuts, worms, frogs, shellfish, fish, mammals, birds, eggs, grubs, snakes, and fruits. In agricultural areas, they may feed on corn crops, poultry and garden and orchard vegetables and fruits. In urban settings, an easily opened garbage can is hard for them to resist. They are nocturnal but are occasionally active in daytime.I have worked with feral cats for years, and I have seen and heard a lot about how raccoons and cats interact. It is very likely that the mama cat was trying to defend her kittens from the raccoon (the raccoon probably didn't intend to harm the kittens, but the mama doesn't know this), and she ended up getting into a fight with a raccoon and was killed or injured. A cat will not win a fight with a raccoon, since the raccoon is larger and stronger. Raccoons also scare feral and stray cats away from food and will sometimes attack the cats to get food. The cat is usually severely injured or killed over the food. This is not an indication that the raccoon has rabies, but is a normal survival instinct for the raccoon to try to obtain food from a weaker animal. To respond to another person's post in this thread, a raccoon might eat a cat, but would probably not kill the cat just to eat it. The cat could have been killed (maybe by a different raccoon, possibly by the same raccoon), then the hungry raccoon came across the body and decided to have a meal.Raccoons do not eat cats , though I have seen where cats have been killed/seriously injured in a scrap over a food source or in territorial displays... This past spring I had a call from an elderly lady with a large(45lb) raccoon sleeping in the cat box in her porch...her cat was dead on the floor a few feet from the sleeping coon after losing a fight for the food left in the dish in the porch... It had entered through the clothesline door she left open every night for the cat ... If that were the case for you though , your cat would be lying somewhere in your yard and the kittens would still be nearby... Coyotes/foxes however , do LOVE to eat cats if they are out and about after dark... In my area many cats also disappear because neighbours discreetly rent and set a live-trap when they are not fond of free-ranging cats in their yard every night... This likely accounts for a large number of the feral/stray cats in many cities/towns... Cats are also known for quirky behaviour as well ... It is entirely possible she'll turn up again in a few days/weeks if she has in fact simply moved the kittens for safety sake due to the presence of the raccoons... Good Luck...Jeff / Pro-Trap They are omnivorous and eat a variety of foods, including dog and cat food left outdoors, frogs, salamanders, farm crops or raid chicken coops, fish, amphibians, shellfish, insects, birds, nesting waterfowl, raw eggs, nuts, mice, berries, vegetation, corn and human garbage and sometimes small kittens.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
#Juan.....Sh*tty to hear what happened. Glad to hear you still have a cat. Raccoons can be
pretty vicious, and Mother Nature has endowed them with a pretty fierce armament for their
size. Pound for pound, a Cat is one very capable critter, but it's very outsized if this Raccoon
wasn't a juvenile.

I know you're P.O.'d....but here's a story for you. I (among other things) am the recruiter for
a trucking company. A guy in Ontario applied for a spot on our fleet last Spring, and I had to
turn him down. Thing is, he had a Raccoon problem and had had enough of them going through
his garbage, etc...and he lived on the outer edge of a suburb (his back yard was the edge of town).
Well, he took a couple of shots at the raccoons one night. Got charged (several charges, actually).
These being firearm related charges, he wasn't going to get across the border in a Commercial
truck for us (let along FAST approved) and I couldn't hire him. Raw deal, but nothing I could do.

I can't remember if he even hit the Raccoon or not, but it still got him a criminal record. That's the
only Raccoon story I've got. Just something to keep in mind I guess if you live in or near a city, &
enjoy cross-border shopping.

I also know a guy who got deported for hunting geese inside Wascana Park inside of the city of
Regina years ago, but that's a story for another Thread. Similar situation....worse results.
P.S. (good story) The Guy I know that use to successfully hunt geese in that same park (quietly)
would use the Ronco Pocket Fisherman, a loaf of bread, and a bat. I guess that's also a story for
another Thread.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I beg to differ. Our cat was in her own yard when she was attacked by a raccoon. I suppose she could have run away, but was not in her nature. As far as I'm concerned, the raccoon was at fault here. I don't know if this raccoon is new in the area or what but I'm going to solve the problem, whatever it takes.

oh, maybe your feline pal, Pyewacket, would like herself a lovely little terrier puppy? One that can help her keep HER yard secure? Certain rodent hunting terriers LOVE to keep raccoons out of their yards..

We have raccoons here in the city and when we first moved into out house, we were outside enjoying a warm spring evening when 2 large raccoons decided to stroll past...casual as can be. I told them to "get gone" in a unfriendly voice. Didn't yet. Just didn't want them to come up to us thinking we'd feed them or be scared away.

That was about 4 yrs ago, and then last week my husband comes in from the back yard and asks me to get the camera...it's dark so I turn on the porch light...and there, low and behold walking across the top of the barbed wire fence, oh so carefully is a large raccoon. He was staying out of our yard for sure...we have a Schnauzer...I figured the raccoon could smell the markings made by the dog and thought it best to avoid the ground...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
oh, maybe your feline pal, Pyewacket, would like herself a lovely little terrier puppy? One that can help her keep HER yard secure? Certain rodent hunting terriers LOVE to keep raccoons out of their yards..

We have raccoons here in the city and when we first moved into out house, we were outside enjoying a warm spring evening when 2 large raccoons decided to stroll past...casual as can be. I told them to "get gone" in a unfriendly voice. Didn't yet. Just didn't want them to come up to us thinking we'd feed them or be scared away.

That was about 4 yrs ago, and then last week my husband comes in from the back yard and asks me to get the camera...it's dark so I turn on the porch light...and there, low and behold walking across the top of the barbed wire fence, oh so carefully is a large raccoon. He was staying out of our yard for sure...we have a Schnauzer...I figured the raccoon could smell the markings made by the dog and thought it best to avoid the ground...

Pyewacket is not feeling too good. The vet found numerous puncture wounds that we didn't see, one of which narrowly missed her eye. The worst one was through her nose into her mouth. The bleeding has mostly stopped now and she is eating a bit better so I'll guess that is a good sign. I can't imagine how long it would take me to get over a puncture wound through my nose and into my mouth

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Pyewacket is not feeling too good. The vet found numerous puncture wounds that we didn't see, one of which narrowly missed her eye. The worst one was through her nose into her mouth. The bleeding has mostly stopped now and she is eating a bit better so I'll guess that is a good sign. I can't imagine how long it would take me to get over a puncture wound through my nose and into my mouth

Would that puncture wound be from a bite, or from the claws. She certainly isn't in great
shape, but seems like she will survive, as long as she doens't get bad infection.
Good luck with her juan.
How many lives does she have left now.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Would that puncture wound be from a bite, or from the claws. She certainly isn't in great
shape, but seems like she will survive, as long as she doens't get bad infection.
Good luck with her juan.
How many lives does she have left now.
The puncture wounds are from bites. And you are right. The vet tells us exactly the same thing about infections.
She must still have a few lives left. She is just six years old. Our last cat was nineteen years old when she died.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
oh Juan. I'm so sorry to hear this. Please give her a kiss for me...

She'll need to be kept quiet and relaxed. Is she a cuddly kittie? Because there are a couple of areas on a cat that will relax them beyond belief. Between the "eyebrows" and the tips of the ears. A gentle press with thumb and pointer finger at the tip of the ear will, if the cats accepting of it, help relax them.

A gentle upward stroke with 1 finger between the eyebrows will have your kittie closing her eyes and relaxing. But it has to be done with you in a calm mood. and a soft touch.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

You'll be surprised by how quickly she'll heal with a bit of calm, care, and love. Our cat came back from paraplegia in 4 days (when the neighbor's dogs caught and shook him half to death). His abscess (from a cat fight) only took a week to heal after the drains were put in. They're speedy about the whole healing business.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I'm so sorry to hear that juan. You're cat certainly has a lot of guts to go up against a racoon!! It sounds like my dog. He's small and doesn't know when to back down, which worries me sometimes. I hope she feels better soon.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm so sorry to hear that juan. You're cat certainly has a lot of guts to go up against a racoon!! It sounds like my dog. He's small and doesn't know when to back down, which worries me sometimes. I hope she feels better soon.

Karrie, Tracy,

This cat is not smart enough to back down from a hundred pound German Shepherd that could tear her into shreds in a minute.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Karrie, Tracy,

This cat is not smart enough to back down from a hundred pound German Shepherd that could tear her into shreds in a minute.

I can definitely relate! My dog weighs about 15lbs, but will happily snarl and try to attack dogs much bigger than himself. He actually got into a fight with his dogsitter's 95lb dog, Jack, a couple of weeks ago... Strangest thing is he won, but he does have a little scar on his face. Apparently as Jack scrambled to get away from my dog, he unintentionally hit him in the face with his paw causing a small cut. I don't know which dog is more stupid, mine for attacking Jack or Jack for backing down.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
One of these oversized rodents messed our cat up pretty bad. I'm not going to feed the basta rds. That will just ensure they come back again. They are going. One way or another.

Understandable, but you have to realize that the fight wasn't anything personal between the two, but probably a territorial thing. They probably scared the crap out of one another coming around a corner and then went defensive, it happens a lot..... but if they're going to come into your property regardless and tear the crap out of your garbage, spreading it all over for you to clean up afterwards in order to get your scraps, this is the best solution until you can capture or get rid of them.

And you're not really feeding them, anymore then you were feeding them by keeping it all in your garbage bags/cans..... all you're doing now is removing a mess you'd have to clean up afterwards.

My dad wasn't too pleased with the raccoons for the longest time either, and contemplated getting the rifle out once or twice, but since we have a lot of nearby neighbors, and he has too much extensive firearms safety training lodged into his brain to resort to that in close proximity of other neighbors, he decided to give that a try and it simply worked.

And on a number of nights, I'd look out the patio and see what was going on. We had a family of 5 raccoons (Big momma and 4 little ones) come up to our patio, dig into the dish and usually within 3-5 mins, they'd clean it all out and left our property for the rest of the night with nothing else touched.

They also seemed a lot more calmer and less aggressive towards our animals too, since they didn't have to fight to get what they wanted to get regardless.... food is food for them.... and food is survival for wild animals.

I dunno.... for us, it just seemed like a fair trade off. We left the scraps out of our garbage, they'd rid us of our scraps, and in turn, they left our pets alone and left our property clean.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
One of these oversized rodents messed our cat up pretty bad. I'm not going to feed the basta rds. That will just ensure they come back again. They are going. One way or another.

hmm... I can find the article in the Wildlife Act which states it's illegal to feed 'dangerous' animals (which applies to feeding coyotes, who'd be pretty happy to get into a scrap bucket instead of raccoons), and simply took it at face value when wildlife officers were reminding people in our acreage community that it's illegal to intentionally feed wildlife (this was in reference to the deer). But, I can't find anything that specifically states it's illegal to feed wildlife in general.

Well if that is the case, people should start hauling in their bird feeders off the trees.

I had Coyotes all around where I grew up, but nobody in our neighborhood ever seen one face to face. They stayed very clear away from humans here.... you'd hear them do their howels off in the distance in the night, but never ever near people.

But most around here don't consider Raccoons a "dangerous animal" Sure they could be dangerous, but any animal can be.

And as I see it, leaving scraps out of the garbage and in a dish isn't anymore different then putting your fruits and veggies in a compost bin, or leaving scraps out for your dog.... they're there for whoever wants them, or whoever is destroying your yard with your garbage.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'd say that securing your garbage better, and thus not habituating wild animals to feeding in town, is a safer, more responsible thing to do for all parties involved, especially the animals Prax.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I had Coyotes all around where I grew up, but nobody in our neighborhood ever seen one face to face. They stayed very clear away from humans here.... you'd hear them do their howels off in the distance in the night, but never ever near people.

We had quite the problem (people caused) here a couple of years ago. People were handing feeding the coyotes! The coyotes became so use to humans they'd come walk right up to them. Several small children were bit, not surprisingly. It's settled down now, with coyotes. Seems we're winding up with black bears though. People moving into black bear country and setting up bird feeders, coi ponds and lovely vegetable gardens in yards that back onto the wilderness.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I'd say that securing your garbage better, and thus not habituating wild animals to feeding in town, is a safer, more responsible thing to do for all parties involved, especially the animals Prax.

Tried it for 5 years... didn't work..... tied the cans down, left the bags inside for as long as we could.... they always will figure out a way, and if it's not your home they tear the garbage apart from, it's the next guy down the road.

But for me personally, I never had a negitive experience with raccoons, even the ones who live out by my apartment today.... so I have my ways.... if others want to go shooting or chasing after them, go nuts, but I won't be a part of it. Raccoons are scavengers for the most part anyways, it's not like I'm going out to feed deer or bears... raccoons are everywhere and they are already acustomed to humans and their food they leave lying around.... I'm just removing a few factors from the inevitable.