Postal Strike

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
My only guess is that if Regina is on strike today stuff piles up in Winnipeg and Calgary and all over for Regina. Regina may open tomorrow but they don't get through the backlog. And my guess is that nobody is working over time or doing anything extra to help. And no doubt things break down when things are backing up.

They are in an uphill battle. Very few of us depend on the mail to receive cheques, pay bills etc. A Xmas card from Granny may be delayed but most of us can live with that.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
While at work we use email where possible, we do have to mail out items so do use it a lot. Unfortunately any strike will affect our business. Until e-transfers and automatic withdrawals are allowed everywhere in our industry, we are at the mercy of the Post Office. Hopefully, that will change in the near future. Time to catch up with technology, albeit it is out of our control at present.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
While at work we use email where possible, we do have to mail out items so do use it a lot. Unfortunately any strike will affect our business. Until e-transfers and automatic withdrawals are allowed everywhere in our industry, we are at the mercy of the Post Office. Hopefully, that will change in the near future. Time to catch up with technology, albeit it is out of our control at present.
UPS/Fedex/Amazon....

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I live in Regina. Since October 22nd, the Regina Depot has been on strike two days. Most Canadian Cities can claim similar. How has this 'Rotating Strike' created a 30 day backlog since October 22nd with this being November 16th???
Work slowdown and werk to rule.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Much of what Amazon ships in Canada goes through Canada Post.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Canada post is the number one parcel delivery service in Canada.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Canada post is the number one parcel delivery service in Canada.
Of course. They have a government mandate to limit competition.Did you know it is illegal for a courrier to deliver a letter?

My position is that whenever government has a lock on a service the employees should not be permitted to strike.Or, alternatively if government employees in such places as the post office and hospitals can strike then private industry must be permitted to compete.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Of course. They have a government mandate to limit competition.Did you know it is illegal for a courrier to deliver a letter?
My position is that whenever government has a lock on a service the employees should not be permitted to strike.Or, alternatively if government employees in such places as the post office and hospitals can strike then private industry must be permitted to compete.
Letters are delivered all the time by courier. Depends on yer definition of what a letter is.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
in fact when the posties go on strike government cheques and other letters are sent by Fedex or other providers.

(and most government cheques anymore are direct deposited, which is why the post office has had to move on from the letter delivery days to the modern reality)

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Every government cheque I get is direct deposited into my bank except my military pension cheque, which still comes by mail and comes by fedex when the post office is on strike. ( and I coud have my military pension cheque direct deposited if a wanted to trust the Phoenix pay system)

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Also I believe cupw has said they will deliver essential checks regardless of the strike