Postal Strike

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The purpose of a strike is for workers to assert their power and necessity to their employers. When a private sector union goes on strike, the owners of the business suffer along with the workers due to loss of work. When a public sector union strikes, the government and the public suffer from the lack of services the striking workers would normally provide. So if you say Canada Post is useless, then their strike should only negatively effect Canada Post workers. And if the free market is God, everything will sort itself out. So let the strike go on for months and see if anyone needs Canada Post. You might be surprised. The Conservative government legislated Canada Post back to work in 2011 for a reason.

Speaking from experience I can say in about 99% of cases when you go on strike, what you lose is gone forever.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
lets say you go on strike for 6 weeks
lose 1000.00 a week @ 26 bucks an hour
get a buck raise

thats close to 150 weeks or about 3 YEARS to get that money back and break even

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
get a buck raise

I know of 2 postal workers that don't want to go on strike or get locked out. My daughter and son-in-law could be screwed by any length of work stoppage.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
get a buck raise

And if your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle! You didn't take into account missed mortgage payments, missed vehicle payments, missed VISA payments etc. etc. And then of course there's the higher income bracket you are being taxed on when you do get back to work and possibly higher premiums for C.P.P. etc. How often when people go on strike do they actually see a buck an hour raise? Quite often it's for about the same money or less. The twice I was out on strike by the time it was all over the Union was "in bed" with the employer and we got S.F.A. Ask the teachers what they got two years ago when they went on strike.....................absolutely f**k all - I know my niece is a teacher here in town.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canada Post (the employee's union) went on a 'rotating strike' October 22nd, meaning that a few cities (2 or 3) would strike one day and then go back to work the rest of the week, then different cities would strike (2 or 3) the next day and then go back to work the rest of the week. The unionized employee's get strike pay when they are on strike for 40hrs in a week so the union isn't paying out strike pay but the employee's are still paying union dues.

Today Canada Post (the Corporation) is stating that due to the strike (the 'rotating strike' since October 22nd, 3 weeks ago) they now have a 30 day backlog of mail (?) and are requesting the Postal Services from other nations stop sending mail to Canada due to this 30 day backlog. How is a 30 day backlog created in three weeks with a 'rotating strike' as described above??? Something doesn't jive....

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I live in Regina. Since October 22nd, the Regina Depot has been on strike two days. Most Canadian Cities can claim similar. How has this 'Rotating Strike' created a 30 day backlog since October 22nd with this being November 16th???

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Canada Post (the employee's union) went on a 'rotating strike' October 22nd, meaning that a few cities (2 or 3) would strike one day and then go back to work the rest of the week, then different cities would strike (2 or 3) the next day and then go back to work the rest of the week. The unionized employee's get strike pay when they are on strike for 40hrs in a week so the union isn't paying out strike pay but the employee's are still paying union dues.

Today Canada Post (the Corporation) is stating that due to the strike (the 'rotating strike' since October 22nd, 3 weeks ago) they now have a 30 day backlog of mail (?) and are requesting the Postal Services from other nations stop sending mail to Canada due to this 30 day backlog. How is a 30 day backlog created in three weeks with a 'rotating strike' as described above??? Something doesn't jive....

Maybe some of those days were at time and a half, Ron! :) :)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
And if your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle! You didn't take into account missed mortgage payments, missed vehicle payments, missed VISA payments etc. etc. And then of course there's the higher income bracket you are being taxed on when you do get back to work and possibly higher premiums for C.P.P. etc. How often when people go on strike do they actually see a buck an hour raise? Quite often it's for about the same money or less. The twice I was out on strike by the time it was all over the Union was "in bed" with the employer and we got S.F.A. Ask the teachers what they got two years ago when they went on strike.....................absolutely f**k all - I know my niece is a teacher here in town.
They get strike pay through their Union and retro pay from the end of their contract until they sign.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
They get strike pay through their Union and retro pay from the end of their contract until they sign.
Yes re: retro pay, & No re: strike pay. They'd have to be on strike, & picketing a minimum of 4hrs/day for five days in a week to receive strike pay through their union which doesn't happen with a rotating strike like this.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Maybe some of those days were at time and a half, Ron! :) :)
Sorry I give up with the thumbs until this site is fixed. Anyway government employees are always about a month behind in their work. Except revenue Canada. They bill you for projected earnings.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
My only guess is that if Regina is on strike today stuff piles up in Winnipeg and Calgary and all over for Regina. Regina may open tomorrow but they don't get through the backlog. And my guess is that nobody is working over time or doing anything extra to help. And no doubt things break down when things are backing up.