Politicians are severely underpaid.......

Politicians are severely underpaid.......?

• They are paid just right.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Their pay should increase

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Hell no! They are OVERpaid.

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters

CDN87

Nominee Member
Dec 24, 2006
$120,000 a year considering the work they are responsible for? Isn't that a bit low? I don't want to sound greedy, but that is severely deflated. One would think that if you run a country you would obviously make a lot of money. Not the case here....

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Last I checked our pres makes a Mil a year and a percentage every year til he dies! The man dont deserve a red cent......back in the old days you volunteered your time now its a 6and 7 figure salary.

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
Well, they also get large accounts for travelling, accomodations, meals, political functions and family travel expenses, so no, I disagree, especially considering the pensions they receive, the number of days and hours they actually sit, and the fact that for many, that politicing is a second job after retirement and pension (former teachers, lawyers, doctors, business owners all seem to be there).

Being a politician is no longer about being a representative voice of your riding, it's about having $300,000 in your bank account to run a campaign that is ensured to pay it back, plus sizeable dividends, if you succeed. Sad to say, much of it perpetuates the class and wage divide, and serves only a small proportion of those it claims to. No wonder most people don't give a rat about politics.

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
And from all of the information I can find, "the annual salary of each Member of Parliament, as of 2006 is $147,700; members may receive additional salaries in right of other offices they hold," for instance, the Speakership, or any official titles.

Considering in 2000 their salary was less than $68,000, that's a pretty big increase. Meanwhile I was getting all pumped up to be getting an extra dime an hour after years of minimum wage freezes.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
yep, doesn't sound like much per year, but with "expenses" and pensions it all adds up.

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
yep, doesn't sound like much per year, but with "expenses" and pensions it all adds up.

That's more than about 98% of the population makes per year, including firefighters, police officers, teachers, doctors, nurses, soldiers, and pretty much anyone not the CEO of something. It's pretty gross is what it is. Factor in the goodies and it's downright sickening.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Politicians are goosing us. It's a part-time job and the poseurs know that. If they'd craft effective legislation they wouldn't need to come back each year and revisit what they've done. It's the equivalent of the local works crew repaving the road outside your house each and every summer. Politics attracts hacks and hangers-on and general riffraff. We need better people, smarter people and, most importantly, more responsible people involved. Whatever they get paid now it's too much.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Politicians are goosing us. It's a part-time job and the poseurs know that. If they'd craft effective legislation they wouldn't need to come back each year and revisit what they've done. It's the equivalent of the local works crew repaving the road outside your house each and every summer. Politics attracts hacks and hangers-on and general riffraff. We need better people, smarter people and, most importantly, more responsible people involved. Whatever they get paid now it's too much.

All those people hang around political forums bit ching about politics...........

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Yes, we do because we recognize a con when we see one. Parliament could close tomorrow for a year and we would be immeasurably gifted by the decision.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Well maybe they are under paid, why all the scandals? Sounds like they watch out for number one.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]So what does a Canadian MP make now?
The base salary for all MPs is $69,564. As well, each MP has a non-taxable expense allowance of at least $22,950 (it may be higher, depending on the MP's riding). MPs also get a housing allowance of $12,000 for accommodation in Ottawa .
On top of their base salaries, some members of parliament receive extra pay:

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Prime Minister[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]$75,582[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Cabinet Minister[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]$50,286[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Secretary of State[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]$37,715[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Leader of the Opposition[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]$53,040[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Other Party Leaders[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]$31,820[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Parliamentary Secretary[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]$11,322[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Speaker of the House[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]$53,040[/FONT]​
[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Other members of parliament, such as chairs of committees and party whips also receive extra compensation on top of their base salaries.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]So you can see that the Prime Minister would get about a hundred and ninety thousand a year. A lowly backbencher would get over a hundred thousand a year. I think they are doing pretty well.
[/FONT]

snfu73

disturber of the peace
I find it a sad reflection of things when most hockey players in this country make more than the PM. However, I'm also of the believe that all jobs are of equal importance and salaries should reflect that....the garbage man is just as important as a doctor who is just as important as a welder who is just as important as a politician who is just as important as a farmer. We need everyone and their contributions to create the society we have, and I believe salaries should reflect that. Again, that's my personal opinion.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I find it a sad reflection of things when most hockey players in this country make more than the PM. However, I'm also of the believe that all jobs are of equal importance and salaries should reflect that....the garbage man is just as important as a doctor who is just as important as a welder who is just as important as a politician who is just as important as a farmer. We need everyone and their contributions to create the society we have, and I believe salaries should reflect that. Again, that's my personal opinion.

There is a lot in what you say, but the law of supply and demand determines the salaries of athletes and entertainers, as well as business leaders. If we want good people in politics, we have to pay a competitive wage.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Thanx...

#juan said:
If we want good people in politics, we have to pay a competitive wage.
I dissagree, there enough people that want to be politicians, the pay is not that important. In fact I would assert that if the pay was lower, we might actually find more altruistic folk joining the fray.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Thanx...

I dissagree, there enough people that want to be politicians, the pay is not that important. In fact I would assert that if the pay was lower, we might actually find more altruistic folk joining the fray.

If I own a business, I want the best man I can find to run it. I see no reason to accept less in our politicians. Running a country isn't much different from running a big business. I would pick a successful business man to run the country every time. In this dog eat dog world, altruistic doesn't cut it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If I own a business, I want the best man I can find to run it. I see no reason to accept less in our politicians. Running a country isn't much different from running a big business. I would pick a successful business man to run the country every time. In this dog eat dog world, altruistic doesn't cut it.
Hmmm, I can see your point, that doesn't explain Dion all to well though.

If I want good welders with loyalty, loyalty can be bought.

Get that? If we had more altruistic people incharge, would there be such a divided system?

Seeing as you would stated "I would pick a successful business man to run the country every time.", I find your distain for Harpo and support of Dion puzzling???

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hmmm, I can see your point, that doesn't explain Dion all to well though.

If I want good welders with loyalty, loyalty can be bought.

Get that? If we had more altruistic people incharge, would there be such a divided system?

Seeing as you would stated "I would pick a successful business man to run the country every time.", I find your distain for Harpo and support of Dion puzzling???

Dion isn't the guy I would have picked. Believe it or not, I have on occasion, voted for other than Liberals........................doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference........In my riding the NDP get in regardless of who I vote for.