Politicians are severely underpaid.......

Politicians are severely underpaid.......?

• They are paid just right.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Their pay should increase

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Hell no! They are OVERpaid.

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Dion isn't the guy I would have picked. Believe it or not, I have on occasion, voted for other than Liberals........................doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference........In my riding the NDP get in regardless of who I vote for.
You poor bastard!!!

Now I can see why you have a burr in your bonnet.

You have my humblest sympathies. Keep the faith my friend, even I support the Liberals over the NDP.

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]So what does a Canadian MP make now?
The base salary for all MPs is $69,564. As well, each MP has a non-taxable expense allowance of at least $22,950 (it may be higher, depending on the MP's riding). MPs also get a housing allowance of $12,000 for accommodation in Ottawa .
On top of their base salaries, some members of parliament receive extra pay:
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Prime Minister[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]$75,582[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Cabinet Minister[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]$50,286[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Secretary of State[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]$37,715[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Leader of the Opposition[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]$53,040[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Other Party Leaders[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]$31,820[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Parliamentary Secretary[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]$11,322[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Speaker of the House[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]$53,040[/FONT]​
[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Other members of parliament, such as chairs of committees and party whips also receive extra compensation on top of their base salaries.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]So you can see that the Prime Minister would get about a hundred and ninety thousand a year. A lowly backbencher would get over a hundred thousand a year. I think they are doing pretty well.
[/FONT]

Juan, that information is pretty old, from 2000; my numbers are what their new salaries are, as of 2006. Sadly, it has more than doubled.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Juan, that information is pretty old, from 2000; my numbers are what their new salaries are, as of 2006. Sadly, it has more than doubled.

I stand corrected. That was quite a raise. Has anyone else's salary doubled in six years? I know mine hasn't.:roll:

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Personally I think anything do do with a set amount of money which is set in law should go up (or down) with cost of living automatically, and thats it.

Minimum wage, tax brackets and politicians salaries.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]So what does a Canadian MP make now?
The base salary for all MPs is $69,564. As well, each MP has a non-taxable expense allowance of at least $22,950 (it may be higher, depending on the MP's riding). MPs also get a housing allowance of $12,000 for accommodation in Ottawa .
On top of their base salaries, some members of parliament receive extra pay:
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Prime Minister[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]$75,582[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Cabinet Minister[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]$50,286[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Secretary of State[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]$37,715[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Leader of the Opposition[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]$53,040[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Other Party Leaders[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]$31,820[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Parliamentary Secretary[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]$11,322[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Speaker of the House[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]$53,040[/FONT]​
[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]Other members of parliament, such as chairs of committees and party whips also receive extra compensation on top of their base salaries.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]So you can see that the Prime Minister would get about a hundred and ninety thousand a year. A lowly backbencher would get over a hundred thousand a year. I think they are doing pretty well.
[/FONT]

I think your numbers are out of date. If my memory is correct, an MP makes at least $150,000, a cabinet minister/speaker is over $200,000 and the PM gets about $300,000. The leader of the opposition also gets about $150,000. And that doesn't even include their expenses, or their pension.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
Ok, I wasn't too far off:

"If the raise goes through, members of Parliament would get a base salary of $155,000, and cabinet ministers $230,000."

Base salary (Sessional indemnity) $141,000 Additional salary Prime minister$141,000 Minister$67,600 Leader of the Opposition$67,600 Other party leader $48,200

Link

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Who has the reputation for stealing the most Juan? Is it the poor politician and the minimum wage earner or is it the wealthy?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Who has the reputation for stealing the most Juan? Is it the poor politician and the minimum wage earner or is it the wealthy?

You know Mikey, politicians never seem to be poor. I wonder why that is.....:roll:

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
We need a standard response for campaigners of the next federal election: No parliament without real representation...no vote without subsequent participation...no base remuneration beyond the national average...

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah how 90% of our politicians our lawyers..

And have you ever heard of a poor MP....

Rich get richer!

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Yeah how 90% of our politicians our lawyers..

And have you ever heard of a poor MP....

Rich get richer!
Oh boy....another westman statistic....90 percent, eh? Can you back that up?

Earlier, the conversation was about getting the best man for the job? Well, you gotta pay to get the best man for the job. Right now, CEO's make far more money than most politicians. How do you get some of those brains into public life? You pay competative salaries.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Well, the reason we don't give them HUGE salaries is:

we don't want them there for the money.

We want them their for Canada, not for the salary.

Oh and Bush doesn't get 1 mill / year, does he? Its more like 400 000, right?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Oh boy....another westman statistic....90 percent, eh? Can you back that up?

Earlier, the conversation was about getting the best man for the job? Well, you gotta pay to get the best man for the job. Right now, CEO's make far more money than most politicians. How do you get some of those brains into public life? You pay competative salaries.
I think the boys from Enron will be out soon. Will the fact that they'er American bug you at all? I know most left leaning folk have no issue with someone unwilling to denouce their French defacto citizenship and all.:lol:

snfu73

disturber of the peace
I think the boys from Enron will be out soon. Will the fact that they'er American bug you at all? I know most left leaning folk have no issue with someone unwilling to denouce their French defacto citizenship and all.:lol:
Huh? What did that have to do with what I posted? I don't know why you right wing lug nuts have such an issue with Dion's citizenship. :) Get over it already. I mean, you elected a guy who isn't even human, after all...he's like some kinda wooden cyborg thing...mr. charisma there.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
CEO's make far more money than most politicians. How do you get some of those brains into public life? You pay competative salaries.

I think the boys from Enron (= CEO's)will be out soon. Will the fact that they'er American bug you at all? I know most left leaning folk have no issue with someone unwilling to denouce their French defacto citizenship and all.:lol:
There is no guarantee CEO's won't be crooks either. The rest was a joke, but hey, after seeing your reply, I'm beginning to see you as a punchline.
Huh? What did that have to do with what I posted?
Answered.

I don't know why you right wing lug nuts have such an issue with Dion's citizenship. :) Get over it already. I mean, you elected a guy who isn't even human, after all...he's like some kinda wooden cyborg thing...mr. charisma there.
Wow I see you haven't matured much. But I answered your question anyways.

Last edited:

snfu73

disturber of the peace
There is no guarantee CEO's won't be crooks either. The rest was a joke, but hey, after seeing your reply, I'm beginning to see you as a punchline.

Answered.

Wow I see you haven't matured much. But I answered your question anyways.
Ah, you always make me feel so good about myself, that's why I love you CDNBear....indeed.

Nope, there is no gauranteeing anyone won't be a crook. I think that a majority of folks who get into political life do so for the right reasons...to do something positive for Canadians. However, there are also those who....stray, shall we say...from the straight and narrow. Fortunatly, as we saw in the last election, there are ways to set stuff back on track a bit more...turfing the offenders as much as possible and bringing in new blood, new voices.

As far as Mr. Dion's citizenship issues, I feel that he has proven himself as someone who is dedicated to Canada. I don't think he should have to renounce his french citizenship. I'm not sure why people do want him to...but, that's me.

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
Consider there are few jobs in society where those working in it have the ability to write there own raises! If the salaries are what they are than politicians only have themselves to blame for 2 reasons. One not raising their own salaries higher, and two for not convincing the public they are doing a good enough job to warrant the support of such a raise. Are they underpaid, well the job is supposed to be one of public service. Instead it looks more like one as previously posted, driven by personal advancement and status. So i am on the side that favours no, and in some cases i wiould wager overpaid.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
yes i remember a while back there was a vote in the british parliament to decide whether they'd get a 7% raise or a 23% (vaguely remembered figures). it was the first unanimous vote for decades