Police Reviewing Bus Monitor Bullying Video

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
This was a depressing film. I must say that it is sadly very accurate from what I remember throughout my primary education. I was bullied quite often til grade 8. Numerous times I went to my mother, a few teachers and the principle but nothing was done about it. One day one of the bullies hit me in the hall and I just snapped. I had years of rage built up over people like him. It took three people to pull me off of him. I got suspended for defending myself which I had to do because it was clear none of the adults were going to. I didnt get into any trouble at home over it though. As this film shows when kids snap it can go to two extremes, one is bringing a gun to school and the other is suicide.

The woman being given 700k is definite overkill. Its not her fault though. Im not going to tell people what to do with their money either but it doesnt feel right. Hell, Id gladly go through my 10 years of bullying again for that kind of money. While she gets 700k for a bad day at work the families of kids who have killed themselves over bullying or the kids who face bullying every day get nothing. Not even any sort of help.

Bullying may have been going on for many generations but that is no reason to allow it to continue. Not when kids are dying over it.

i'm sorry to hear that. :(

Well that sucks WLDB. I was fortunate in life and even luckier with my two sons that bullying was never part. But I feel for anyone that has been or has had to deal with their children being bullied.

The only time I had direct experience was with my youngest went to HS. He was bullied in the cafeteria on the first day in HS by some upper class men. However the bullies did not know that he was the younger brother of a senior (my oldest son) who is pretty darn tough. Not just that he had older cousins who were in the school. Well the bullies spent the day getting throttled by my oldest and some of his pals and apologizing profusely saying they didn't know that he was his little brother. I guess in a way getting a taste of their own medicine.

When I heard the story I told my oldest that what he did was good... but now let it go. Don't become the bully.

I am so all for that. Particularly the school administrators and teachers. They should be held accountable. Apparently they are only held responsible is when a tragedy happens or when the incident appears on Youtube.

you're lucky that your youngest had older brothers to come to his defense. I wish I had. :(

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
you're lucky that your youngest had older brothers to come to your defense. I wish I had. :(

I'm VERY lucky. Even my oldest son was saying that.

"I can only imagine if Tim didn't have all of us. He's never been in a fight in his life. He's never harmed anyone. It would be awful for him."

He was actually shaking when he said that. He said that is why he spent the whole day threatening them and saying that he was going to kick their azzes after school. The thought of them bullying his little bro who's been nothing but a good kid his whole life.

Yeah, I raised them both the same but the oldest has a bit more of an edge to him. When he was about 12 a kid called him stupid. My son said... "Say that again and see what happens." So he did and my son punched him. No bullying... nothing drawn out... a simple message... don't do that.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Has it always been this way? Are kids snapping more often because it's worse now or do we just hear about it more?

Maybe teachers, principals, any adult whose job it was to safeguard these kids should be held to some kind of account when these things go over the line. Maybe even parents of bullies themselves. Perhaps if their own 'safety' is on the line, they'll be a little more inclined to do something about it before it goes too far.

I have a feeling we are just hearing about it more now. Now that there's a 24 hour news cycle, youtube and social media a lot of stuff is becoming more public than it was before. Occasionally I'll encounter someone using the usual "kids these days" line and talking about how when they were young kids behaved better and there were no school shootings. Did some research, there are records of school shootings in every decade of the 20th century. Also, there were kids being sent to prison in every decade. Older people tend to simply forget.

As for the parents of the bullies, its likely their failure that made the bully in the first place. In my case I knew that several of my bullies came from poor broken poor homes and were physically abused by at least one parent. It doesnt justify what they did, but it was a factor and could have been prevented had anyone been paying attention. Also, I more or less "won" in the end. Most of my bullies didnt graduate high school and I know at least one of them is in jail. I sympathize with a few of them, others I couldnt care less what happens to them.

The only time I had direct experience was with my youngest went to HS. He was bullied in the cafeteria on the first day in HS by some upper class men. However the bullies did not know that he was the younger brother of a senior (my oldest son) who is pretty darn tough. Not just that he had older cousins who were in the school. Well the bullies spent the day getting throttled by my oldest and some of his pals and apologizing profusely saying they didn't know that he was his little brother. I guess in a way getting a taste of their own medicine.

Thats good. Fortunately I was never bullied in high school. I sort of had a reputation by then over what I did the one time I really fought back. Everyone left me alone. I did see and hear of a lot of people not being so lucky during those years though.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I am so all for that. Particularly the school administrators and teachers. They should be held accountable. Apparently they are only held responsible is when a tragedy happens or when the incident appears on Youtube.

Well ignoring it has been tried and that hasn't worked, perhaps it's time to actually do something.

I have a feeling we are just hearing about it more now. Now that there's a 24 hour news cycle, youtube and social media a lot of stuff is becoming more public than it was before. Occasionally I'll encounter someone using the usual "kids these days" line and talking about how when they were young kids behaved better and there were no school shootings. Did some research, there are records of school shootings in every decade of the 20th century. Also, there were kids being sent to prison in every decade. Older people tend to simply forget.

I suppose it's always been this way but that's no reason that it has to continue. Especially since there is so much information out about it now, it's inexcusable not to act on it.

As for the parents of the bullies, its likely their failure that made the bully in the first place. In my case I knew that several of my bullies came from poor broken poor homes and were physically abused by at least one parent. It doesnt justify what they did, but it was a factor and could have been prevented had anyone been paying attention. Also, I more or less "won" in the end. Most of my bullies didnt graduate high school and I know at least one of them is in jail. I sympathize with a few of them, others I couldnt care less what happens to them.
It's the parents that need the lesson in human behaviour. How can we expect the kids to learn it from parent's that don't practice it?