Pickup truck drivers are the worst drivers on the road..

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
LOL, I think if you check back in this thread, it was not me who complained that pick-up drivers were the worst. Not only you talk pointless points you can't read as well...:p
Not really. If you weren't so dense, you'd realize that I wasn't saying you were complaining about pickup drivers; I was commenting that you were complaining about not understanding my point.
Now I have decided that you are being obtuse on purpose. Please point it at someone else for a while.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Not really. If you weren't so dense, you'd realize that I wasn't saying you were complaining about pickup drivers; I was commenting that you were complaining about not understanding my point.
Now I have decided that you are being obtuse on purpose. Please point it at someone else for a while.
Not being obtuse, if your only point was that pick-ups are now being used for things other than the original use, so be it, WHO CARES?? Other vehicles are used for things other than their original purpose too.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Having logged well over a million accident free miles in some extremely large trucks, I can say with certainty that idiots are not confined to any one type vehicle. The ones that always made me shake my head were those fools who would race an oncoming vehicle to that place twenty feet ahead and to the left of my front bumper - while displaying a "Baby on Board" sign in the back window.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Having logged well over a million accident free miles in some extremely large trucks, I can say with certainty that idiots are not confined to any one type vehicle. The ones that always made me shake my head were those fools who would race an oncoming vehicle to that place twenty feet ahead and to the left of my front bumper - while displaying a "Baby on Board" sign in the back window.
I agree.

But don't get me started on the 'Baby on Board' signs. One thing that freally gets me are those single riders who are too lazy to take down that sign when the kid isn't in the car. Can you imagind a car on fire or other serious trouble and a good citizen sees that sign and tries to rescue a non existant baby?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I agree.

But don't get me started on the 'Baby on Board' signs. One thing that freally gets me are those single riders who are too lazy to take down that sign when the kid isn't in the car. Can you imagind a car on fire or other serious trouble and a good citizen sees that sign and tries to rescue a non existant baby?

My brother is a firefighter/rescue diver from over near your cottage. Very late last fall, someone went off the Chemong causeway and the ice. That stupid sign was cause for some great anxiety ... until the driver reported she'd just dropped the little guy off at daycare.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The worst drivers are self centered drivers who cut people off and take stupid risks in traffic. It's been my experience that there are more of them (or more notable ones) in pickups and large SUV's, because they feel safer. So they don't care if they're cutting you off and making you slam on your brakes... THEY'RE safe. They have 4 wheel drive and don't give a hoot. Now, don't get me wrong... those drivers aren't the norm. But, give a large vehicle to someone reckless and self centered, and, they become all you remember about your drive that day. While I may brush off the idiot who nearly hits my minivan with his car with an annoyed mutter, when you encounter the exact same incident with a pickup or an SUV, and that bumper is at your child's head level instead of down by the door where there are specially designed panels to deal with the impact, it will stick in my memory and consciousness to a much higher degree.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Could somebody tell me why we have four door pickup trucks with a six foot box and a 400 HP V8 engine that gets about 10 mpg?
This is a vehicle that will typically stop from 60mph in about three hundred feet. This is about a hundred and forty feet longer than your average Honda sedan. Put a couple thousand pounds in that short little box and you have an accident looking for a place to happen.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Could somebody tell me why we have four door pickup trucks with a six foot box and a 400 HP V8 engine that gets about 10 mpg?
This is a vehicle that will typically stop from 60mph in about three hundred feet. This is about a hundred and forty feet longer than your average Honda sedan. Put a couple thousand pounds in that short little box and you have an accident looking for a place to happen.
Well my pick-up has 2 doors plus extended cab ( 2 x half doors) and a V-6. It is my only vehicle, so comes in handy when transporting the family. So don't put all pick-ups and pick-up drivers in the same basket....

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
You would think that if one was driving at the prescribed 110 kph on a mountain highway, the most likely vehicle to pass you would be a Porche, or a Mustang GT, or something low, sleek, and Italian............But no...........On a recent trip to Calgary and back, the vehicles that passed me on a corner, or on a blind hill while I was going seventy miles an hour, were mostly big, four door, pickup trucks. Pickup truck drivers seem to be unaware that their vehicles require twice the distance to stop in an emergency than most cars. In Nanaimo, where I live, there have recently been a number of accidents involving these big, overpowered, gas guzzling monsters. Owning and using one of these vehicles to commute back and forth to work, is both irresponsible and stupid.

Juan, did you happen to notice if any of these trucks had a company name or US DOT# either on
the doors or on the rear-side windows? Where these the one-ton duel wheel trucks mostly???
Did they have rock-guard skirts at the back of the box to a couple of inches from the ground?
If so, and you didn't get a name off the truck, what color where the decals?

Once you leave the realm of the gas engine and go diesel (3500 GM or Dodge, or the F350 Fords),
with their torque when unloaded and turbocharged, and many of the haulers (of RV's anyway) have
stripped away the factory exhaust (to run oversized with less backpressure) and performance chips
(stretching out their shifts for more power yet better mileage), these turn into very quick machines.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

We have them because some people need them. We run a 3/4 ton long box on weekends and some evenings, because we had a house to strip of stucco, a yard to dig out and re-do, and assorted projects that have and will require gyproc, lumber, and various other goods that I simply can't carry in the minivan, and need too often to pay for delivery constantly. But we drive it accordingly. We don't think it's a tank that will keep us safe no matter what. We know it's limits.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Well my pick-up has 2 doors plus extended cab ( 2 x half doors) and a V-6. It is my only vehicle, so comes in handy when transporting the family. So don't put all pick-ups and pick-up drivers in the same basket....

Believe it or not, a pickup is not the safest vehicle to carry your family around in. I think I was quite clear. Overpowered, four door, gas guzzling V8 pickups are unsafe, irresponsible, and downright stupid.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
We don't have anyone west of Calgary at this point, but the company I'm with isn't the
only one in this industry. Did any of the trucks have decals placed like this? And if
so, what color? The company I'm with uses gold. If it's an RV Hauler running back
east empty, they'll have a long box. It's a big industry whith a lot of players in it.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Believe it or not, a pickup is not the safest vehicle to carry your family around in. I think I was quite clear. Overpowered, four door, gas guzzling V8 pickups are unsafe, irresponsible, and downright stupid.
Well, excuse me if you have 2 or 3 vehicles. Some of us only have one. So you use what you have. I have a safe vehicle and am a safe driver, so put that in your pot pipe and smoke it.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Actually, minivans and SUVs fall into the same category as pick-ups as they're classed as trucks thus don't have to meet the same safety standards as passenger cars.

A loose nut can be behind any steering wheel. Pickups only get most attention because they're so much bigger.

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
Well, excuse me if you have 2 or 3 vehicles. Some of us only have one. So you use what you have. I have a safe vehicle and am a safe driver, so put that in your pot pipe and smoke it.

Why are you picking a fight for no reason? It was clearly stated that the original person was referring to those people who have these big vehicles but DO NOT use them for their purpose. That automatically excludes individuals like you who, for some reason or another, actually use the vehicle for what it was meant for.

Back on topic...

I don't know either why people find it necessary to have giant vehicles. It's a waste of money and resources, not to mention downright dangerous for everybody else around them. I'm glad I don't drive anymore.. where I am the public transit is awesome, so I don't have to worry about others on the road quite so often. And my god... have we ever saved money since we switched...

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Why are you picking a fight for no reason? It was clearly stated that the original person was referring to those people who have these big vehicles but DO NOT use them for their purpose. That automatically excludes individuals like you who, for some reason or another, actually use the vehicle for what it was meant for.

Back on topic...

I don't know either why people find it necessary to have giant vehicles. It's a waste of money and resources, not to mention downright dangerous for everybody else around them. I'm glad I don't drive anymore.. where I am the public transit is awesome, so I don't have to worry about others on the road quite so often. And my god... have we ever saved money since we switched...

My, my, my, aren't you jumping to conclusions with "I don't know either why people find it necessary to have giant vehicles. It's a waste of money and resources, not to mention downright dangerous for everybody else around them."???? The damn busses you ride in are a hell of a lot bigger, and I've seen bus drivers do some pretty stupid dangerous things.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
The bigger the truck the smaller the penis, you have a big truck don't ya Risus?

What cracks me up about pick up truck drivers is when they don't use it for hauling stuff, guys will get out there and wash and polish a vehicle designed for tough jobs not lipstick and bras.:lol:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
The bigger the truck the smaller the penis, you have a big truck don't ya Risus?

What cracks me up about pick up truck drivers is when they don't use it for hauling stuff, guys will get out there and wash and polish a vehicle designed for tough jobs not lipstick and bras.:lol:
I guess you are speaking from experience???

Anyway my truck hasn't been washed this year and has never been polished.

So go screw yourself.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
We have a 4x4 F350 ford pickup, Diesel, as we pull a boat, and we did have an RV. I love that
truck, as does all of our family, they all have their name on the list to buy it when we
are finished with.
We have hauled wood from the mountain, take garden brush away, haul dogs in crates,
travel in it with a canopy full of stuff, etc.
We drive it responsibly, and that is what is important.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
It's been rumoured that one can still get a pre-installed 8-track player and gun rack in NC,SC, AL,MI,TN & KY. Hound dog is at owner's discretion.

Can't get a `confirmed` on that though.

Probably wouldn't change much.