Open military to non citizens?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
But getting back to the OP Upper Canada was basically populated by ex Royal service men, many of whom were plucked from Scotland and Ireland, served the King, and were rewarded with lands.

The ancient ballad Lowlands of Holland is all about this.

That is only somewhat true of the settlement of Upper Canada. Most of the Loyalists were farmers, not fighters.

It is however true of French Canada. Each and every one of them are descended from soldiers. New France was a crown, military enterprise whereas New England and the Northwest were commercial ventures. The French actively discouraged the settlement of simple farmers for some time and they only allowed it when the viability of the colony was in question. The French marched into Canada. The Scotch-Irish and later the English traded and ploughed into Canada.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
check out the founding of Talbotville. Brit veterans were paid off with Canadian lands right up to at least confederation if not beyond.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
no there hasn't - but bless your heart.

this is exactly why we cannot take your word for whether something like social spending has been explained or not.

The U.S. Gov. has spent over 1/10 a Trillion on it by themselves by 2013, How much has the world Governments spent on this issue? How much has industry spent on preparing, and implementing for the policies? The U.N. Green fund is suppose to have 100 Billion to help fight climate change in have not countries. So do you still feel my 1 Trillion estimate is still out of whack?

Analysis:
Between '1993 to FY 2013 total US expenditures on climate change amount to more than $165 Billion. More than $35 Billion is identified as climate science.'

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
check out the founding of Talbotville. Brit veterans were paid off with Canadian lands right up to at least confederation if not beyond.

I know a lot about the Talbot settlement. The Butler's Rangers veterans were a big part of the settlement on the Niagara Pennisula and the Eastern Townships too but still, most of the Loyalists were planters and farmers. When the Rideau Canal system was built later on, the area was intentionally populated with military veterans so that a defensive militia could be quicky assembled from the surrounding lands. This was actually a design element of what became the most expensive defensive system in the British Empire.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
I know a lot about the Talbot settlement. The Butler's Rangers veterans were a big part of the settlement on the Niagara Pennisula and the Eastern Townships too but still, most of the Loyalists were planters and farmers. When the Rideau Canal system was built later on, the area was intentionally populated with military veterans so that a defensive militia could be quicky assembled from the surrounding lands. This was actually a design element of what became the most expensive defensive system in the British Empire.
this is the basic plan they followed everywhere to expand the empire. India was the same thing. (Australia was somewhat different)

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I agree these innovated approaches should be embraced not admonished.

MV Asterix is brilliant. It is the largest ship that our Navy has ever operated ... for the first time, double hulled against oil spills, for the first time, a supply ship that can operate in light ice and it is equipped with more ship handling gear than previous AORs.

She came in at $659 million but the two other AORs that will be built in Vancouver will cost us $2.1 billion EACH if they manage to come in on budget (REALLY big "if").

Ship contracts are like fighter plane maintenance contracts ... a way of distributing largesse to friendly ridings but come on! We can't afford to featherbed EVERY damned defence contract, anymore.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
We did and it lasted for forty years. The Western Alliance ...the one that your demented POTUS is about to end, fought it together and won it ... for a time, anyway and hundreds of thousands of us were a part of it.

Canada in a forty year Naval Battle with the Soviet Union and you were in it. Wow. What was it like?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Canada in a forty year Naval Battle with the Soviet Union and you were in it. Wow. What was it like?

Cold and noisy. Canada was also in a six year naval battle with Nazi Germany, before it. I wasn't in that one but it was cold, noisy and deadly.

What exactly IS your problem? You clearly have some sort of a screw loose to come on to a Canadian forum where we are discussing Canadian defence issues to lip off like a ten year old school yard bully? What the fukc is wrong with you?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Oh now you want a truce and to act normal?

Anyhow... what was it like to be in naval combat?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So then we should leave NATO.

I can't say. If you told me how NATO benefits us I might be able to give a better answer. I'm not all that horny about us sticking our noses into other people's squabbles.

As I said, you have a screw loose.

That would be about the best sure sign of sanity that I can think of. :lol: :lol:

Cold and noisy. Canada was also in a six year naval battle with Nazi Germany, before it. I wasn't in that one but it was cold, noisy and deadly.

What exactly IS your problem? You clearly have some sort of a screw loose to come on to a Canadian forum where we are discussing Canadian defence issues to lip off like a ten year old school yard bully? What the fukc is wrong with you?

Lots of people are probably itching to ask you the same question. :lol: :lol:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I can't say. If you told me how NATO benefits us I might be able to give a better answer. I'm not all that horny about us sticking our noses into other people's squabbles.

That would be about the best sure sign of sanity that I can think of. :lol: :lol:

Lots of people are probably itching to ask you the same question. :lol: :lol:

Dim.

Dimmer.

Dimmest.

justlooking

Council Member
May 19, 2017
I can't say. If you told me how NATO benefits us

Well, we get the security protection of the US at a big discount, so it would make sense for us

to be on good terms with them.

I mean we could step out of NATO, have zero military, and we still get the US security umbrella.
Except from them of course.

We have a history of coming and helping the West.

We still get to train some young men to be better men.

We get the extra bonus of watching Trump destroy and humiliate PM Selfie. :lol:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well, we get the security protection of the US at a big discount, so it would make sense for us

to be on good terms with them.

I mean we could step out of NATO, have zero military, and we still get the US security umbrella.
Except from them of course.

We have a history of coming and helping the West.

We still get to train some young men to be better men.

We get the extra bonus of watching Trump destroy and humiliate PM Selfie. :lol:

Would NATO be playing any part in our troops going to Mali? Brain dead f**king move if there ever was one!