One Solution?.......Bring back the Spring Bear Hunt!!!!!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I still eat nearly everything else with gusto, moose, elk, deer, squirrels, muskrats, ..... but not bear.
LOL do you know why bears love oats? It's not because it gives them the projectile sh*ts. We talked about this the other day. Ergot.

You eat tree and slough rats?

Who cares if campers sh*t their pants?

I'm too busy worrying about blasting snow geese away at that time of year anyway.

One flock of those pricks will eat 10T of grain an hour.

If people think blind polar bear are starving because of core flux, and it harder to find seals have no f*cking clue about the snow goose and it's off the charts numbers because of over zealous protection and the link to why polar bears are increasing during a decrease in ice range.

Last edited:

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
You all need to keep making excuses for predators (except human ones). We would not want it to be the way it used to be :roll:

You mean like when they had bleachers at the open Banff garbage dump , so people could watch the funny bears root around?

While hunting on my youth, at the 'south end ' of bear country, I carried rifle flares in my bullet belt to scare off any rogue bears. Never had to use them - I'm not sure how effective they would be....

A lot of Bear trouble is caused by bad dump practise. And by the good ol' boys who bait 45 gallon drums so they can pick off a bear in the fall, once it is 'habituated'. - Close to populated areas.

http://www.blackbearkingdom.net/black-bear-baiting.html

ATV guys. got to love them...

Last edited:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Although I have not shot many bears...(we had a few nuisance bears on the far that needed shooting when they weren't scared off, by shooting in the dirt in front of them......and I like the odd bear meat (when prepared by somebody else);-)

The single time I went bear hunting with a spring bear license, after hearing other people talk about their hunting skills, I was alone that morning sitting on a rock about 75 yds from the bait when a big one showed up.
As I was raising the rifle to take my shot, I started to think; I have to skin that sucker, probably full of lice, then quarter it and bring it home, and will my wife cook it? or will I have to give the meat away after hauling it a half mile to my truck?
After that second or two of hesitation, I raised my sight to a big ole knot on the tree behind the bear's head and fired...
When the bear ran off, I went to verify that I had hit what I was aiming at, tore up my license, packed up my stuff and went home........

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Bears are 80+% vegetarian. Wolves, cougars and coyotes, however are carnivores and bad practice.

Still 20% meat.... it's bad practice. More parasites, more toxins, just not good for you when you've likely got the luxury of other food.

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
Many Aboriginal peoples attributed human traits to most animals, insects and birds, even rocks. It is a very good way to learn what it is to be human.

That's a good point, but there are different reasons for what they did and what we do, and there's a difference between respect for wildlife, which we probably both share, and a one-on-one comparison between animals and humans.

I'd be really careful to make sure your bear is taken in a Trichinosis free area before I'd fast fry it.

Most definitely, and that's the reason for thin slices. Bear has to be thoroughly cooked. By "fast fry" I didn't mean in and out of the pan. Maybe I should have said "stir fry" instead.

Some black bears do, unfortunately, need culling. Its a matter of minimizing contact, selective culling, rather than wholesale attack.

Agreed.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I have spent most of my life in the forest with bears and I never have a weapon. I sometimes carry a pocket knife when I'm mushroom picking, but that is not a weapon. I love it when I hear others out here wearing bear bells. Bear have learned that it means an easy meal, if they are in the mood for long pig. I always feel safer when I hear those bells jingling along a trail. City slickers are such easy pickings.

My brother in law was a licenced guide in northern B.C., (where I grew up), for many years. He advocated carrying a metal snuff box with a few pebbles in it. He reckoned most bear attacks were the result of a man surprising a bear. If you are traveling up wind make a bit of noise. The only good use of a cigarette is to show you the wind direction. Bears stalking humans has got to be extremely rare.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
My brother in law was a licenced guide in northern B.C., (where I grew up), for many years. He advocated carrying a metal snuff box with a few pebbles in it. He reckoned most bear attacks were the result of a man surprising a bear. If you are traveling up wind make a bit of noise. The only good use of a cigarette is to show you the wind direction. Bears stalking humans has got to be extremely rare.
Since the majority of people are not very conscientious about what they eat, they are basically toxic waste and a bear has an incredible sense of smell. I'm sure most of us stink to them and they are too discriminating to pollute themselves with modern long pig.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

Apparently there is a problem with too many Ontario Black bears, so some sort of hunt is called for. I always avoided black bear hunting in 'my days'- Sask Black bears had a trichinosis endemic concern. Fall black bear meat is greasy to handle

Correction on my earlier post - if you are hunting for the hide and flesh, it looks like spring is best. Be really careful about cooking it .

Grizzly's are a different concern- they are relatively few, and need big 'man minimal areas'. River bottom Grizzleys used to keep the blacks under control.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Apparently there is a problem with too many Ontario Black bears, so some sort of hunt is called for. I always avoided black bear hunting in 'my days'- Sask Black bears had a trichinosis endemic concern. Fall black bear meat is greasy to handle

Correction on my earlier post - if you are hunting for the hide and flesh, it looks like spring is best. Be really careful about cooking it .

Grizzly's are a different concern- they are relatively few, and need big 'man minimal areas'. River bottom Grizzleys used to keep the blacks under control.

I've never hunted bear of any kind but I once shot a grizzly. The dogs had riled the grizzley up and led it right back to me. I had a 12ga. shotgun filled with deer slugs. I didn't want to shoot it but I was left with little choice. I managed to hit the bear three times and it was finished. I never considered eating it. It was early Spring and the animal was skin and bones.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've never hunted bear of any kind but I once shot a grizzly. The dogs had riled the grizzley up and led it right back to me. I had a 12ga. shotgun filled with deer slugs. I didn't want to shoot it but I was left with little choice. I managed to hit the bear three times and it was finished. I never considered eating it. It was early Spring and the animal was skin and bones.

That's one of the big reasons bears come after humans, according to one of the guides I know. He doesn't allow city dogs offleash when he takes people out.

A smart dog stands its ground and alerts its owner that there's a bear. A dog with no bush experience doesn't know what to do, and takes off after the bear, picks a fight, and then comes running to its owner for help, especially when there is more than one dog.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
That's one of the big reasons bears come after humans, according to one of the guides I know. He doesn't allow city dogs offleash when he takes people out.

A smart dog stands its ground and alerts its owner that there's a bear. A dog with no bush experience doesn't know what to do, and takes off after the bear, picks a fight, and then comes running to its owner for help, especially when there is more than one dog.

That is a good point.
A well trained Karelian will back off a Grizzly and will chase off a black bear.

Unfortunately- most RURAL dogs are not 'bush savvy' or bush trained. Especially in Saskatchewan Farm country.
Your dog sees you as the pack Alpha and is just doing what a good beta does- passes the concern to the pack leader.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle

What were you hunting with dogs and 12 guage slugs in the early spring?

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

Snakehead patrol!

#jaun is Canada's last line of beach defense against the Triads..

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

There had been talk of a grizzly in the area and I thought it wise to be prepared. I had four deer slug rounds in the shotgun and after they were gone all I had was birdshot.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
In the early days of my prospecting hobby I used to carry a 12 gauge with Breneke slugs until one day, since it's hard to work and bend over with a gun slung over your shoulders, I leaned the shotgun on a big rock, and started examining rocks and chipping at some with my hammer/pick, after about 15 minutes of this, I was about to move to a different location and started looking for my shotgun...It took me half an hour to find it since it had slipped and fell behind a bush.
When I got back to town I applied for a carry license, and that was the reason given for applying. Since I had a carry licence for target shooting from the time I was 20 years old.....a few test in a few weeks and I had it.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
That's a good point, but there are different reasons for what they did and what we do, and there's a difference between respect for wildlife, which we probably both share, and a one-on-one comparison between animals and humans.

Most definitely, and that's the reason for thin slices. Bear has to be thoroughly cooked. By "fast fry" I didn't mean in and out of the pan. Maybe I should have said "stir fry" instead.

Agreed.

I did some research and it looks like a spring hunt is justified.

back when GRizz still stalked the river valleys, they would wake up during winter hibernation Chinooks, seek out the Black bear dens- then haul out the sleeping bears for a 'lunch date'.

There is some spec . that the extinct short nosers dined on them all winter
Now THERE was a bear!

8OYaaabuttt: FATALITIES due to bear attacks in Ont. only happen once in a while............................:roll:

Keep the 905 Con. No spring bear hunt.

Buncha leftie pussies !!

Gotta bear down.

:roll:

Last edited:

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
A few years ago a black bear stalked and killed a rancher here, leaving the horse the bear killed the man and ate some of him. I'm sure that rancher would agree that black bears are harmless creatures just misunderstood.