One Solution?.......Bring back the Spring Bear Hunt!!!!!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That's natural selection.... get rid of the nuisance bears that are too dumb to stay away. Cull the herd, so to speak, when food stores drive them into town. That's the way it ought to be done.

What always infuriates me is the 'relocating' of nuisance bears, or rehabilitating orphaned cubs. They'll just be back as nuisance bears, used to relying on humans for food.

Can we do the same thing with nuisance humans?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
eating carnivore is bad practice.
Bears are 80+% vegetarian. Wolves, cougars and coyotes, however are carnivores and bad practice.

Humans are easier to cage, they eat one another less often, so we stick to the prison system.
Take away the legal and social restraints and I think humans would eat their young as well as all other age groups. Fear of legal retaliation is the only thing that separates us from the cannibals.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Bears are 80+% vegetarian. Wolves, cougars and coyotes, however are carnivores and bad practice.

Take away the legal and social restraints and I think humans would eat their young as well as all other age groups. Fear of legal retaliation is the only thing that separates us from the cannibals.
And what is so damn great about separating ourselves from the cannibals?

Snob.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
A bear that got that close to me and didn't make off would be a dead bear.

That would even be true of a bear that got within a hundred feet and showed no fear.

Partly my fault....I was in a ground deer blind, and I was directly in his route..........I whistled, waved arms, talked softly, when I SHOULD have stood up when he was still aways away........at about 10 feet I decided he was too close and shouldered the rifle.....the click of the safety going off stopped him in his tracks. "Now F### Off" I told him in a loud voice, and he paused, then turned and casually walked back the way he had come.

THEN it occured to me I should have stood up. lol

Afterwards it occured to me he was way too unafraid, and I should have fired one over his head as he left.

My hindsight is a perfect 20/20.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
And what is so damn great about separating ourselves from the cannibals?

Snob.

Just when we had you pegged for Shawnee, It turns out you are a full blooded Aztec Nobleman priest after all...

White man preach hokum about spring bear good to eat:

Attachments

• white indians.jpg
    white indians.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 3

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

Spring mountain Grizzlies can be real 'owley' , as they hunt up winter kill , esp. in ice slides, right out of the den. They evolved to defend a 'point protein source'.
The are a lot more sociable when they are feeding on mountain roots and berries...to a point.
I usually leave the back woods to the grizz in the spring. Their 'turf'.

Actually Tecumseh was against cannibalism practised on prisoners by many of the natives of the United States.

Not mentioned by the politically correct.

That tended to be ritual cannibalism practised by some Iroquois. and some south tribes like the Tonkawa. The further North & west you went, the more civilised the Natives were to prisoners.

Nez Pierce habitually returned White women & children quickly and unharmed.

There is some spec. that cannibalism became more widespread among the Mingo during the Beaver Wars, mainly as a way to terrorise other tribes.

Mmmm- virgin...

Last edited:

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
Partly my fault....I was in a ground deer blind, and I was directly in his route..........I whistled, waved arms, talked softly, when I SHOULD have stood up when he was still aways away........at about 10 feet I decided he was too close and shouldered the rifle.....the click of the safety going off stopped him in his tracks. "Now F### Off" I told him in a loud voice, and he paused, then turned and casually walked back the way he had come.

THEN it occured to me I should have stood up. lol

Afterwards it occured to me he was way too unafraid, and I should have fired one over his head as he left.

My hindsight is a perfect 20/20.

I understand your situation now.

To respond to a few things others have written...

I shouldn't be surprised that there are people who put bears on the same level as people (or people on the same level as bears). That's as ridiculous as anything I've ever heard, and I chalk it up to people who know a lot less about wildlife than they think they do. They attribute human qualities to animals, and they see a strange sort of equivalency.

The meat from spring bears is fine. You cut away all the bone, fat, connective tissue and muscle membranes, and fast-fry thin slices of it on high heat, and it tastes just fine. Anyone who has eaten poor quality bear meat has likely eaten meat that was not properly butchered or prepared. The time of year has little to do with it.

Black bear populations are different; bears from different regions do not necessarily behave the same way.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

I shouldn't be surprised that there are people who put bears on the same level as people (or people on the same level as bears). That's as ridiculous as anything I've ever heard, and I chalk it up to people who know a lot less about wildlife than they think they do. They attribute human qualities to animals, and they see a strange sort of equivalency.

The meat from spring bears is fine. You cut away all the bone, fat, connective tissue and muscle membranes, and fast-fry thin slices of it on high heat, and it tastes just fine. Anyone who has eaten poor quality bear meat has likely eaten meat that was not properly butchered or prepared. The time of year has little to do with it.

Black bear populations are different; bears from different regions do not necessarily behave the same way.

Actually, you learn a lot of bear lore when you canoe & backpack. Alberta is full of Azzholes on atvs. you can tell their trails by the amount of garbage they discard.

And the amount of beetchin' they do about not being allowed to tear up horse and hiking trails at will.

No doubt its way different in Ontario. I Never had bear trouble on all the backpacks I lead when I was younger ,Johnnie. Had motorised Azzhhole trouble on occasion.

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
No doubt its way different in Ontario. I Never had bear trouble on all the backpacks I lead when I was younger ,Johnnie. Had motorised Azzhhole trouble on occasion.

I've spent way more time in the bush than the average person and I have not had any bear trouble either. Nevertheless I'm always prepared for it.

Even when berry-picking with my kids (or now with my grand-kids) I've always carried at least my 6" Buck and a can of Bear-Guard. It's second nature, like carrying a compass.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
I've spent way more time in the bush than the average person and I have not had any bear trouble either. Nevertheless I'm always prepared for it.

Even when berry-picking with my kids (or now with my grand-kids) I've always carried at least my 6" Buck and a can of Bear-Guard. It's second nature, like carrying a compass.

Then you are one of the 'good 'uns'., as Ian Tyson sings.

On one of my first trips I left my wash up kit on the ground in camp, had to retrieve it from the Ranger station.
Rangers said if I was on an ATV, they would have automatically ticketed me, as 'that is all they understand'.

Last fall I was in a café, got a lecture from a 'gun expert' on why I shouldn't use my Savage 99-.250 for deer hunting. I asked him ' what bullet grain'? he says- don't matter. which is ATV talk for ' don't have a clue, but won't admit it'.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Many Aboriginal peoples attributed human traits to most animals, insects and birds, even rocks. It is a very good way to learn what it is to be human.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

I'd be really careful to make sure your bear is taken in a Trichinosis free area before I'd fast fry it.
Five Cases of Trichinosis - Why Bear Meat Must Be Thoroughly Cooked

A lot of 'problem or nuisance ears' are either yearlings "learning life' or older bears that became habituated to human sources of food. The only time I needed dogs with me when canoeing was in the late 1970's , north of Waskesiu, when garbage eaters were being 'bush released.'

Some black bears do, unfortunately, need culling. Its a matter of minimizing contact, selective culling, rather than wholesale attack.