One Canadian's Opinion? US Canada Relationship.

jensonj

Jan 29, 2005
CENTRAL CANADA
Listening to Canadians on
the Canadian-American Relationship

Executive Summary
This report is based on results from Communication Canada's Listening to Canadians survey of winter 2003 and a mirror study conducted in the United States at the same time. The key findings are as follows:

Canadians are divided on the state of current relations between the governments of Canada and the United States. Roughly one-third of Canadians feel the relationship is good, another third say neither good nor bad, while a final third say it is poor. However, a majority of Canadians feel the relationship has been worsening over the past two years. American opinion stands in stark contrast. A majority of Americans feel the relationship is good and that it has remained essentially unchanged over the past two years.
Canadians are more able to point out important issues facing the North American relationship. Not surprisingly, with the war pending at the time of the survey, most Canadians believed that the Iraq issue was the most important. Conversely, nearly one in two Americans were unaware of any major issues challenging the relationship between the two governments.
A strong majority of Canadians say they are aware of trade disputes pending between Canada and the United States, with 88% of these pointing to the current lumber dispute. Moreover, when it comes to trade, a majority of Canadians also feel that the United States has been unfair in its dealings with Canada. Nevertheless, they are confident in the Government of Canada's ability to resolve any present or future problems in the relationship, including those related to trade. A strong majority of Americans are unaware of any trade disputes. Of those who are aware, a majority are unable to specify any particular dispute.
Regarding support for greater co-operation on a series of bilateral issues, a majority of Canadians are in favour of closer ties on border security, increased trade, and common environmental policies and defence. They are less supportive of greater co-operation on issues such as immigration, economic and foreign policies as well as the possibility of a common currency, as these may be perceived as limiting Canadian sovereignty.
Americans are significantly more supportive of greater ties with Canada on all issues measured, the exception being a common currency. They are most interested in co-operation on border security, which they believe will make North America safer and protect their economy. Furthermore, Americans are confident that Canada can be relied upon to help protect the homeland security of the United States. This sentiment is especially true for Americans living along the Canadian border.

http://www.communication.gc.ca/survey_sondage/14-15/can-am/can-am2003q4_02_e.html

jensonj

Jan 29, 2005
CENTRAL CANADA
Question?

Should Canada be closer to the United States of America and or just except that the President of the United States of America is the Leader of the World?

jensonj

Jan 29, 2005
CENTRAL CANADA
Question?

Should Canada be closer to the United States of America and or just except that the President of the United States of America is the Leader of the World?

jensonj

Jan 29, 2005
CENTRAL CANADA
Question?

Canadian Observer

Nominee Member
Jan 21, 2005
There you are again , RB. The US gets angry , everytime Canada makes it own decision ?????? Or is it Canada and canadians like you who get so mad when Americans asks for your cooperation and help. Twist it baby , twist it.

Canada , the great , America the moron , you happy now ,eh. Dream on .

Canadian Observer

Nominee Member
Jan 21, 2005
There you are again , RB. The US gets angry , everytime Canada makes it own decision ?????? Or is it Canada and canadians like you who get so mad when Americans asks for your cooperation and help. Twist it baby , twist it.

Canadian Observer

Nominee Member
Jan 21, 2005

Canadian Observer

Nominee Member
Jan 21, 2005
Jensonj , you seem to confuse US for Canada. The US is not a perfect country and so is Canada. You try too hard to demonize America but **edited personal attack**. I can see right through you ,man.

Here's a nice laugh for **edited childish epithet***.

Prostitute to cop : I'm not selling sex.
Cop : Oh you tell me.
Prostitute:I'm selling condoms and giving a demo on how to use it.

Canadian Observer

Nominee Member
Jan 21, 2005
Jensonj , you seem to confuse US for Canada. The US is not a perfect country and so is Canada. You try too hard to demonize America but **edited personal attack**. I can see right through you ,man.

Canadian Observer

Nominee Member
Jan 21, 2005

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Canada should treat the US exactly the same way it would treat any other nation. We don't crawl for France or Brazil, we deal with them in the same way they deal with us. Our leaders seem afraid to do that with the US though.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Canada should treat the US exactly the same way it would treat any other nation. We don't crawl for France or Brazil, we deal with them in the same way they deal with us. Our leaders seem afraid to do that with the US though.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

jensonj

Jan 29, 2005
CENTRAL CANADA
Canadian Observer

Your wrong. I want to know what individual Canadian and American Forum members think about the Canadian and US relationship.

I read 27 news sites every day and watch alot of TV News. I read and here from surveys, politicians and Businesses their points of views but what about the average citizen / person. What do we think about it. What do we understand and see it to be. What are our misconceptions of it. Should we be concerned about it or is it just alot of hipe?

I have posted what I sent to the Prime Minister of Canada and US Ambassadore Cellucci stating my opinion to start the discussion.

By the way I asked the Washington Post Forum to ask it but was turned down.

jensonj

Jan 29, 2005
CENTRAL CANADA
Canadian Observer

Your wrong. I want to know what individual Canadian and American Forum members think about the Canadian and US relationship.

I read 27 news sites every day and watch alot of TV News. I read and here from surveys, politicians and Businesses their points of views but what about the average citizen / person. What do we think about it. What do we understand and see it to be. What are our misconceptions of it. Should we be concerned about it or is it just alot of hipe?

I have posted what I sent to the Prime Minister of Canada and US Ambassadore Cellucci stating my opinion to start the discussion.

jensonj

Jan 29, 2005
CENTRAL CANADA
Canadian Observer

jensonj

Jan 29, 2005
CENTRAL CANADA
What I don't understand is why the US Administration dislikes Canada? I know they want to combine our energy resources with theirs and they want to open up the NAFTA agreement?