Occupy protester alleges police brutality during arrest

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
How is that black and white?
It was obviously police brutality, but I never said it was justified or not.
Shame.
Just when I thought you could get out of that conceptual box you're always stuck in.
How do you figure it is obviously police brutality? If HE/she had moved on when told to there would have been no arrests.
I noticed none of these protesters have an address. Bunch of freeloaders that contribute nothing to society.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
This should go without saying.

But it's going to be hard if we have officer keep-darkie-down migrating up north.

How is this a race thing? Clearly the incident can't stand on its own so you have to bring race into it.

And again... a Canadian cop against a Canadian. It has nothing to do with anything "migrating up north". Your issue.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
How is this a race thing? Clearly the incident can't stand on its own so you have to bring race into it.

And again... a Canadian cop against a Canadian. It has nothing to do with anything "migrating up north". Your issue.

C'mon ES... You know why the race card was played here... When you have no argument to start with and you've been picked appart by many, the last resort is to muddy the waters with diversions.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In general terms the photo by itself proves absolutely nothing. Who knows what damage a person can inflict upon themselves while flailing around resisting arrest! Sensible people avoid that type of situation.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
A lot of innocent people suffered similar abuse at the G8/G20. This is just another case of police exercising their power to oppress civilians and then charge them for their (the police's) excessive use of force. This can happen to any of us, even you, so yes, we should all care.

Not quite innocent. Put yourself in harms way, harm usually follows. I have little sympathy for these 'protesters' although any documented cases of police brutality should be procecuted as should cases of rioting and vandalism done by the 'innocent' people as well.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

My absolute, all-time favourite 3 minutes of film........

at least in which the actors wear clothes.

How is that black and white?

It was obviously police brutality, but I never said it was justified or not.

Shame.

Just when I thought you could get out of that conceptual box you're always stuck in.

Oh COME ON!!!

lol

"Police brutality" is unjustified by definition.

If it is justified, it is not "brutality".

:)

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
If it is justified, it is not "brutality".

Brutality
1. The state or quality of being ruthless, cruel, harsh, or unrelenting.
2. A ruthless, cruel, harsh, or unrelenting act.

Hiroshima does more to fit that bill, yet a lot of people will argue it was justified to prevent further harm.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Brutality
1. The state or quality of being ruthless, cruel, harsh, or unrelenting.
2. A ruthless, cruel, harsh, or unrelenting act.

Hiroshima does more to fit that bill, yet a lot of people will argue it was justified to prevent further harm.

Well, if you want to split hairs:

Fine.

1. A couple of black eyes does not indicate "ruthlessness", nor is it necessarily cruel nor harsh if deserved, and obviously the officer (if he even did it!) had relented.

2. See above.

The common usage of "police brutality" is a call against unjustified use of force by police. You know that as well as I do.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The common usage of "police brutality" is a call against unjustified use of force by police. You know that as well as I do.

No, I look at it in terms of the effect of damage. A bouncer can brutally beat the crap out of a threatening entrant - whether or not it is justified depends on whether his actions were in self-defense or the safety of others.

I don't mind if you disagree or understand the concept differently.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
When the police order you to leave the area and you don't comply then you have to be prepared for a forceful arrest.