Obama: Keystone XL Won't Create Jobs, Will Raise Gas Prices

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Prez O. is telling us, really nicely, that they don't need more heavy crude at Henry hub.

and shipping Heavy crude to Gulf tidewater to compete with Heavy Orinoco crude coming in by SUPERTANKER is, well, dumb.
What is the point of tankers sailing away empty?

It's not very green. Shipping is allegedly the leading source of CO2 from transportation.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
What is the point of tankers sailing away empty?

It's not very green. Shipping is allegedly the leading source of CO2 from transportation.

Good point - but its rather a regular occurrence now, right?:lol:
Orinoco sour flows into the gulfports rather often...
Venezuela's Oil-Based Economy - Council on Foreign Relations

The American trade relationship with Venezuela is pretty strong, Petros. Don't be 'Walterised' by the board ranting's. Our oil is much better utilized in 'gasp'! eastern Canada

Last edited:

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Obama Finally Comes Out Fully Against Keystone Pipeline: Claims It Wouldn’t Create Jobs, Will Raise Gas Prices

He could never come out for it, he is just too beholden to, and a part of, the eco lobby.

And you wonder why the economy is crashing? Will ‘raise gas prices’? He believes in unicorns too.

Via Breitbart:

But the good news is now that we will have the West-East Pipeline in Canada we will see jobs created and prices at the pump go down............

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Good point - but its rather a regular occurrence now, right?:lol:
Orinoco sour flows into the gulfports rather often...
Venezuela's Oil-Based Economy - Council on Foreign Relations

The American trade relationship with Venezuela is pretty strong, Petros. Don't be 'Walterised' by the board ranting's. Our oil is much better utilized in 'gasp'! eastern Canada
Venezula rainforest oil sands are being burned in eastern Canada, so just think how much greener Saskatchewan heavy oil that is pumped from kilometers below the surface, upgraded and stripped clean of their valueable chemicals in Regina and piped off the MTL and the East Coast off to feed the EU energy hunger.

Empty OPEC ships sail past the EU back through the Suez to the Gulf of Arabia which could have dropped CDN XL pipeline synthetic oil off in Spain or France but the XL is bad for Canada

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Venezula rainforest oil sands are being burned in eastern Canada, so just think how much greener Saskatchewan heavy oil that is pumped from kilometers below the surface, upgraded and stripped clean of their valueable chemicals in Regina and piped off the MTL and the East Coast off to feed the EU energy hunger.

Empty OPEC ships sail past the EU back through the Suez to the Gulf of Arabia which could have dropped CDN XL pipeline synthetic oil off in Spain or France but the XL is bad for Canada

Well- the EU is taking a stronger stand against Canadian Heavy oil as a source of emissions. Until we start using nuclear heat and electricity we are going to face that argument.

I feel we have been remiss, Petros, by using Natural gas to avoid building reactors in Alberta and Saskatchewan. Nuclear plants are a fantastic source of superheated steam, as well as electric power 'baseload.'

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well- the EU is taking a stronger stand against Canadian Heavy oil as a source of emissions. Until we start using nuclear heat and electricity we are going to face that argument.

I feel we have been remiss, Petros, by using Natural gas to avoid building reactors in Alberta and Saskatchewan. Nuclear plants are a fantastic source of superheated steam, as well as electric power 'baseload.'
The EU will gobble up clean and green upgraded synthetic don't kid yourself.

15 years is too long of a construction time, the cost is off scales and not enough skilled labour as it is no benefit for the effort out of the no longer existing carbon scam/scheme. If we need more juice two hydro station can go on the N Sask River or nat gas turbines.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
The EU will gobble up clean and green upgraded synthetic don't kid yourself.

15 years is too long of a construction time, the cost is off scales and not enough skilled labour as it is no benefit for the effort out of the no longer existing carbon scam/scheme. If we need more juice two hydro station can go on the N Sask River or nat gas turbines.

like five years , if we go 'French systems off the rack' instead of the CANDU. The North Sask is Highly variable in flow.
Its a buyers market in energy ,Petros. we have to tailor the product to the buyer's request.:smile:.

THAT SAID,I can see real merit in the meridian dam, as it can guarantee a steady water flow to the BAKKEN extraction areas.

For 'the Hydraulic Fracturing".

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
like five years , if we go 'French systems off the rack' instead of the CANDU. The North Sask is Highly variable in flow.
Its a buyers market in energy ,Petros. we have to tailor the product to the buyer's request.:smile:.

THAT SAID,I can see real merit in the meridian dam, as it can guarantee a steady water flow to the BAKKEN extraction areas.

For 'the Hydraulic Fracturing".
That's what dams are for. Controlling water supply which in low years can be offset using natural gas turbine "peak plants" that can come on line in minutes and go off just as fast or run for years at a time for cheaper than wind.

Another Souris dam is needed simply for flood control not extraction. Fort Peck has all the water the industry needs.

Now I want to go fishing for those monster pickerel and bass in Boundary.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I agree. Allowing the private sector to create jobs is bad because fewer people will be reliant on the gubmint for their livelihood.

Nobody is stopping corporations from using the trillions they have sheltered overseas in tax free accounts from using that capital to create jobs. On the contrary, this proves that Reagan's trickle down theory is really all about trickle up:

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
That's what dams are for. Controlling water supply which in low years can be offset using natural gas turbine "peak plants" that can come on line in minutes and go off just as fast or run for years at a time for cheaper than wind.

Another Souris dam is needed simply for flood control not extraction. Fort Peck has all the water the industry needs.

Now I want to go fishing for those monster pickerel and bass in Boundary.

actually, the Missouri's allocation is pretty much spoken for. Surplus flood water is being used to recharge the Oglala Aquifer. Irrigation has first dibs on the rest, then navigation.

good luck with the fishing. petros.
Don't forget the 1980- 90's, when there were long stretches of zero flow in the Souris. And the Qu'Appelle went dry.

AND:
\
Devine governed during some of the worst droughts since the "dirty thirties". The price of oil and agricultural commodities collapsed. In the end, the high cost of government mortgage rate reduction policies during 19 per-cent interest rates and his agricultural rescue policies resulted in a large deficit. The year Devine came to government the provincial GDP only grew 0.6 per cent, down from 20.9 per cent growth the previous year.[1] Since then Saskatchewan has had routinely less than 10 per cent growth in GDP.[citation needed]
His government was re-elected in the 1986 election, although his NDP opponents won a plurality of votes.
Devine's government was defeated in the 1991 election after two terms in power. The PC party was reduced to ten seats in the legislature.
Although Devine himself was never implicated in any criminal wrongdoing, 13 out of 55 Conservative MLAs and staffers were subsequently charged with expense account fraud committed during Devine's second term, 1986–1991. Of these a handful were acquitted while some served prison time.[2][3]
In 2004, Devine announced his intention to return to politics and run for the federal Conservative Party of Canada,[4] but the party ruled he was an undesirable candidate, and denied him the right to seek a nomination.[5] On May 7, Devine announced that he would run as an independent candidate in the 2004 federal election for the riding of Souris—Moose Mountain. Consequently, Devine was expelled from the Conservative Party on June 8 by the party's executive council. Despite the ruling, Devine continued to enjoy the public support of Conservative Deputy leader Peter MacKay. The former Premier finished the election second to Conservative Ed Komarnicki. Devine received 8,399 votes (29.42% of the popular vote).

And Saskatchewan went dry....

Last edited:

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Obama Finally Comes Out Fully Against Keystone Pipeline: Claims It Wouldn’t Create Jobs, Will Raise Gas Prices

He could never come out for it, he is just too beholden to, and a part of, the eco lobby.

And you wonder why the economy is crashing? Will ‘raise gas prices’? He believes in unicorns too.

Via Breitbart:

Okay I read the Sun media commentaries occasionally so I decided to read the Breitbart posting.

And the following is true;

Obama also blasted reports that job creation would be significant: ““[M]y hope would be that any reporter who is looking at the facts would take the time to confirm that the most realistic estimates are this might create maybe 2,000 jobs during the construction of the pipeline – which might take a year or two – and then after that we’re talking about somewhere between 50 and 100 [chuckles] jobs in a economy of 150 million working people.” He stated that gas prices would go up in parts of the United States thanks to Keystone XL: “So what we also know is, is that that oil is going to be piped down to the Gulf to be sold on the world oil markets, so it does not bring down gas prices here in the United States. In fact, it might actually cause some gas prices in the Midwest to go up where currently they can’t ship some of that oil to world markets.”

I have been driving by a new 10 mile long natural gas pipeline installation for a few weeks now. I understand that a 10" diameter pipe is not the same as a 36" pipe but there are only about 10-12 people working on this. They use a machine (ditch witch) to dig the trench and the others are using various pieces of heavy equipment to move trees, rocks etc., and then fix up the area after that part of line has been installed.

I don't know if the pipe is Made in Canada so I can't comment on if there were Canadian jobs created at that stage, but when this line is done, there will be no need for more human intervention, meaning no work performed meaning no jobs..............

TransCanada said the Keystone XL would create 13,000 direct construction jobs and 7,000 manufacturing jobs.

Opponents of the pipeline say TransCanada has inflated the number of construction jobs by ignoring two facts: That most of the jobs would be temporary, and that there's a big difference between hiring people for varying periods of time and creating jobs
Reports from two other sources—the U.S. State Department and Cornell University—say that no more than 6,000 jobs would be created by the pipeline, which would funnel up to 830,000 barrels of crude oil per day from the tar sands mines of Alberta, Canada to refineries on the U.S. Gulf Coast.

Much of the confusion centers around different definitions of what counts as a job.

more

TransCanada: No More Than 6,000 Pipeline Workers on the Job 'on Any Given Day' | InsideClimate News

50% or more of the steel pipe, the main material input used for Keystone XL, will be manufactured outside of the U.S.
Jobs will be temporary and between 85-90% of the people hired to do the work will be non-local or from out of state.
The Perryman study, which estimates around 119,000 (direct, indirect and induced) jobs is a poorly documented study commissioned by TransCanada.
Job losses would be caused by additional fuel costs in the Midwest, pipeline spills, pollution and the rising costs of climate change. Even one year of fuel price increases as a result of Keystone XL could cancel out some or all of the jobs created by the project.

more

http://www.ilr.cornell.edu/globallaborinstitute/research/upload/GLI_KeystoneXL_012312_FIN.pdf

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
We all know he's been claiming that the Keystone XL pipeline would create tens of thousands of jobs in the United States.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper told an American audience today that the Keystone XL pipeline "absolutely needs to go ahead." Harper said the project will create 40,000 jobs south of the Canadian border and that can't be ignored.

And trying to embarrass Obama into approving the Keystone XL pipeline.

But unfortunately for Great Oily Leader you can't fool all the people all the time. And unlike him Obama CAN count.

The Times said Obama disputed an argument that the pipeline would bring down gasoline prices. He said it might actually increase prices somewhat in the U.S. Midwest, which would be able to ship more of its oil elsewhere in the world, the paper reported.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/07/28/wrd-canada-us-obama-keystone-xl-pipeline-jobs.html

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I have been driving by a new 10 mile long natural gas pipeline installation for a few weeks now. I understand that a 10" diameter pipe is not the same as a 36" pipe but there are only about 10-12 people working on this. They use a machine (ditch witch) to dig the trench and the others are using various pieces of heavy equipment to move trees, rocks etc., and then fix up the area after that part of line has been installed.

I don't know if the pipe is Made in Canada so I can't comment on if there were Canadian jobs created at that stage, but when this line is done, there will be no need for more human intervention, meaning no work performed meaning no jobs..............
Think about that for a few minutes. You can't compare 10" pipe to 3ft pipe

Try to visualize everything involved in building a 36" pipeline.

Start right at the point of the scrubby looking guys earning a living by collecting scrap metal, the scrap buyer and his employees, the truckers to move it, the trains to move to now larger volume of still scrap metal.

The metal is then processed through a chipper, loaded up by train and unloaded at the steel mill, where the steel is melted by one crew, cast into an ingot by another crew, sent off to the rolling mill where it rolled and then coiled by even more people.

The coiled steel then goes to the pipe plant wheere it is unrolled, spiralled and welded into lengths of pipe by more people. It is then inspected and x rayed by another crew.

After that it goes by rail again to the pipe protection plant where it is coated with anti corrosion materials and then loaded up by train for delivery where more people unload the trains and transfer the pipe to trucks for finally delivery where more people unload it, place it, weld it, x-ray again, bury and yet another crew comes along and plant grass or landscapes the now buried line.

I didn't included all the people need to from scrap man to caster to installer for a valve, a fitting, a flange, a pump, or even the work involved in building the pumping stations and all the telecomm required.

Every town along the line will welcome the pipeliners as they stay in hotels, eat at restaurants, buy supplies, have vehicles and equipment maintained and employ locals directly.

Getting the idea yet?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
But the good news is now that we will have the West-East Pipeline in Canada we will see jobs created and prices at the pump go down............

Yea in toronto maybe.

Nuclear plant s are also a fantastic source of death.

Okay I read the Sun media commentaries occasionally so I decided to read the Breitbart posting.

And the following is true;

Obama also blasted reports that job creation would be significant: ““[M]y hope would be that any reporter who is looking at the facts would take the time to confirm that the most realistic estimates are this might create maybe 2,000 jobs during the construction of the pipeline – which might take a year or two – and then after that we’re talking about somewhere between 50 and 100 [chuckles] jobs in a economy of 150 million working people.” He stated that gas prices would go up in parts of the United States thanks to Keystone XL: “So what we also know is, is that that oil is going to be piped down to the Gulf to be sold on the world oil markets, so it does not bring down gas prices here in the United States. In fact, it might actually cause some gas prices in the Midwest to go up where currently they can’t ship some of that oil to world markets.”

TransCanada said the Keystone XL would create 13,000 direct construction jobs and 7,000 manufacturing jobs.

Opponents of the pipeline say TransCanada has inflated the number of construction jobs by ignoring two facts: That most of the jobs would be temporary, and that there's a big difference between hiring people for varying periods of time and creating jobs
Reports from two other sources—the U.S. State Department and Cornell University—say that no more than 6,000 jobs would be created by the pipeline, which would funnel up to 830,000 barrels of crude oil per day from the tar sands mines of Alberta, Canada to refineries on the U.S. Gulf Coast.

Much of the confusion centers around different definitions of what counts as a job.

more

TransCanada: No More Than 6,000 Pipeline Workers on the Job 'on Any Given Day' | InsideClimate News

50% or more of the steel pipe, the main material input used for Keystone XL, will be manufactured outside of the U.S.
Jobs will be temporary and between 85-90% of the people hired to do the work will be non-local or from out of state.
The Perryman study, which estimates around 119,000 (direct, indirect and induced) jobs is a poorly documented study commissioned by TransCanada.
Job losses would be caused by additional fuel costs in the Midwest, pipeline spills, pollution and the rising costs of climate change. Even one year of fuel price increases as a result of Keystone XL could cancel out some or all of the jobs created by the project.

more

http://www.ilr.cornell.edu/globallaborinstitute/research/upload/GLI_KeystoneXL_012312_FIN.pdf

With that kind of logic we should never build anything because the construction jobs will be over when the project is finished.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
“And our national interest will be served only if this project does not significantly exacerbate the problem of carbon pollution,” the president said.

Someone in the CPC best be getting some scientific studies underway to prove the cause is just.

Oh yea, I forgot.. Harper labelled scientists as one of his enemies.

Obama assumes voluntary Canadian compliance on the reduction of green house gases because he has given the admonition to do so. There is a long tradition of voluntary Canadian compliance with admonitions originating with American presidents.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Obama assumes voluntary Canadian compliance on the reduction of green house gases because he has given the admonition to do so. There is a long tradition of voluntary Canadian compliance with admonitions originating with American presidents.
This has not and never will never be an enviro issue.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Yea in toronto maybe.

Nuclear plant s are also a fantastic source of death.

With that kind of logic we should never build anything because the construction jobs will be over when the project is finished.

'Fraid my point has been missed. In a buyers' market you have to tailor the product, or 'dump it' at a loss/. That is why TransCanada to Nb makes more sense, with a custom built refinery for heavy crude in Central Canada.

Just the 'way it is'.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
'Fraid my point has been missed. In a buyers' market you have to tailor the product, or 'dump it' at a loss/. That is why TransCanada to Nb makes more sense, with a custom built refinery for heavy crude in Central Canada.

Just the 'way it is'.
The facilities to upgrade have been waiting for a line to connect to. It makes me happy, My refinery/upgraders will finally be turning a dollar. Maybe I'll get 10 cents per litre dividends instead of 7.2 cents per L.