Notley fires back at Prime Minister Harper

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well, if you consider someone that has forced "his" MP's to support the wholesale murder of children through abortion has a "human face", then you and I have different definitions.

I agree. By the same token however he was the one leader who took his M.P.s to task for "taking liberties" with women. No one is perfect, it seems, Ger!

Abortion is not murder and fetuses are not children.

I'm afraid I'm with Gerry on this one. IF fetuses aren't children what area they, dogs, cats, cows?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I heard some amazing statistics on the radio last weekend.

In Canada, there are approx. 261,000 people who make over $215,000 each year. That's 261,000 out of 35 million!! They are considered the 1%. How much can we raise taxes on these guys to pay for all that the lefties want? Chances are, most of those people own, or at the very least, operate, their own businesses.

I love the "tax system explained in beer" example - very apt and also very true. I've read it before but one needs to be reminded and try to remind the others about how the "rich" get all the breaks. It especially needs to be "shared" as much as possible as its rather simple in its explanation and maybe there'll be some "young" people out there that will actually "get it".

JMHO

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What's the value of their gold plated pension-for life worth?

There's one catch to that, to get the full benefit they have to put in 35 years. I believe (I could be wrong) that it's actually the politicians that get the gold plated pension after a minute of 6 years elected. For the others it's probably 70% of the average of the top 5 earning years X # of years served Divided by 35 or 2% per years served.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
There's one catch to that, to get the full benefit they have to put in 35 years. I believe (I could be wrong) that it's actually the politicians that get the gold plated pension after a minute of 6 years elected. For the others it's probably 70% of the average of the top 5 earning years X # of years served Divided by 35 or 2% per years served.

Maybe back in the day it was 35 years, but now it's based on the amount of time someone is in that system (not that it really matters).... They have access to a Defined Benefit as opposed to a Defined Contribution.

No one else (anymore) has that arrangement.

So' I'll ask again, what is the value?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
So... You're saying that a gvt employee (incl education, healthcare, provincial and federal employees) MUST work a minimum of 35 years in the system before they qualify to receive a pension?
I think he was talking about maximum benefits .

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Sure, but seeing that even partial bennies (and I'm sure that it isn't 35 years) on a Defined Benefit plan is pretty sweet... Just look at the mooks like Olivia Chow that can potentially qualify for a muni pension from the city of Toronto, in addition to a Fed gvt pension and her recent play at Provincial politics.

I'd wager that the sum of the parts is greater than the whole in this case.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So... You're saying that a gvt employee (incl education, healthcare, provincial and federal employees) MUST work a minimum of 35 years in the system before they qualify to receive a pension?

No I certainly didn't say that. I said they had to work 35 years to receive the MAXIMUM pension of 70% of the average of their top 5 earning years which works out to be 2% per full year completed. Let's say the avg. of the top 5 years is $50,000.
For 35 years worked they would receive $35,000
" 30 " " " " " $30,000
" 20 " $20,000
" 10 " $10,000

Do you get the picture or do you need more?

Sure, but seeing that even partial bennies (and I'm sure that it isn't 35 years) on a Defined Benefit plan is pretty sweet... Just look at the mooks like Olivia Chow that can potentially qualify for a muni pension from the city of Toronto, in addition to a Fed gvt pension and her recent play at Provincial politics.

I'd wager that the sum of the parts is greater than the whole in this case.

Not that I'm a fan of Olivia Chow but how many years did she "put in the trenches"? I believe if you are a politician you are qualified for a full pension after 6 years of service, but I believe the rules have recently changed in that you now have to wait until age 65 to start collecting it.